Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxhd1 View Post
    ...I did notice that my discharge temp is low about 15 DSH...
    this, by itself, bothers me.

i show that the oil for R134a is 'H' oil on an S2 compressor and 'C' for R22.
    my 1st time jumping out of a plane...http://youtu.be/Kv38G0MHsGo

Quote Originally Posted by jayguy View Post
    this, by itself, bothers me.

i show that the oil for R134a is 'H' oil on an S2 compressor and 'C' for R22.
    Yes I stand corrected Jay it is H oil and yes the discharge superheat would be up around 40.
    Arguing with your Boss is like wrestling with a pig in
    mud.
    After a while you realize that while you are getting
    dirty, the pig is actually enjoying it.

It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it
    creative problem solving.

25 years ago we had Bob Hope , Steve Jobs , and Johnny Cash today we have no Hope no Jobs and no Cash !
    I can fix broke but i can't fix stupid !

Quote Originally Posted by henpeck View Post
    Condenser water temps getting too low can cause you problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    With the low DSH I would also suspect that is is either carrying over liquid refrigerant or the oil is foaming so bad in the evaporator that its getting sucked thru the Comp. Sounds to me like someone noticed that the oil level was low and added oil,,, Several times and the refrigerant is logged with oil. I had one do that a few years ago. Pulled the charge and the oil. Distilled the charge and fresh oil. Found 15 gallons of oil in the refrigerant. 7 in the oil sep. Asked the Maint guy and he said it was low. I asked if he saw oil on the floor. He walked away,, Friggin idiots. I'll be there is actually to much oil in this machine.

Quote Originally Posted by jaxhd1 View Post
    I should add that before I left for the day,,I jumped the float switch raised the condenser temp/high side pressure and I get plenty of oil back to the separator but it leaves just as quick...now it seems to be more of a surge type of problem
    That ain't real smart.....

You have oil in the refgt. The process to return it to the separator and remove it as it comes back is not something to be discussed in an open forum.

hi guys,new member here, just thought i would add a tip. our crew had a similar problem yrs ago. chiller would start & run fine for some time(45min.) then would drop out on low oil,turns out it was a def.oil return solenoid.active during run only.located on top of shroud.
    bottom solenoid worked fine,when it shut down all oil would return to crankcase/reservoir. this had tech.stumped for a week.So be sure to check all solenoids,also.

Are your oil heaters working?

First make sure the slide valve is loading properly and you reach full load. There are two eductors on YS, one pulls from bottom of the evaporator and the other from the evaporator suction baffle right underneath the compressor. They put it there in case there is drop out at minimum slide valve conditions. That is if your problem is oil loss. Oil differential is another story that folks on this thread have already covered. Check you condeser water temps.

Question Ys-chiller no oil return

I have to agree w/all posted recommendations from before and need to be checked out. Match refr. w/oil =to compressor. It's important.
    But,would like to add one more question.

Was the oil from a virgin bucket? Did you open it yourself and use it right away, or was it on site,already opened? All oils used in the industry are extremely. Hydroscopic, meaning they will absorb moisture from the ambient surroundings quickly. Let's hope, that was not the case, alittle feedback would be well received. Just curious, bklyntek.

Did you find out what the problem was on this YS? I am having the same problem on a S2 R22 style "C" machine. All filters have been changed, might be replacing oil re-claim eductor block, i guess these eductors have springs in them that could go bad?

Quote Originally Posted by ChillLA View Post
    Did you find out what the problem was on this YS? I am having the same problem on a S2 R22 style "C" machine. All filters have been changed, might be replacing oil re-claim eductor block, i guess these eductors have springs in them that could go bad?
    No springs in the eductor block that I'm aware of.

BTW, the OP hasn't been on the forum I over a year.

It may be possible there was too much oil put back machine. Very critical you only put back the same amount of oil that was taken out of this type of chiller. Fully loaded oil level should be at bottom of lower sight glass and unloaded should be no more than 3/4 of top sight glass. When too much oil is added cooler gets oil logged and chiller may be limited on low evap or low dicharge superheat or even go off on overcharge. Cooler sight glass will be foaming and may look milky. Bottom line, machine may be running with limited capacity due to trying to keep itself online and worsing issue by losing even more oil due to running unloaded. I would try running with higher condenser water of 85 ewt and with as load as possible. Pull any excess oil out as comes back considering proper oil levels mentioned above.

I bet his machines had s oil to start. Funny thing about the YS-A is the manual says s0 to s2 is c oil and 3 and up are s oil... Ask york and they say c oil for s0 and s1 ans s for s2 and above. This same thing happened at our shop before I was hired.. c was put in on an oil change ,s was in there and mech wasn't aware. Had major oil return issues until s was put back in. Eductor filters plugged up. I think the charge was pulled and distilled.

We had the same issue with our YS 300t S2 Yorks on oil return until I found the build sheet that wants 80 degree condenser water. So I moved it up from 76 to 80 and the oil return problems went away. We also use the C-oil on the R-22 like York56 suggests! Ours also wants 990GPM for condenser water flow. Just a thought.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast