Confused 92' Rheem Reversal valve?

Ok I'm new to the service industry, I haven't came across to many older rheems, and this one is stumping me.
    I know older rheems there set to be in cool as default. so that's one thing that may be throwing my brain into a giant bowl of mush.

but when thermostat is in heat i have 24 volts going to reversing coil and when its in cool i have 24 volts at coil as well. although the unit is not switching to heat in ether. so that leads me to believe that reversal valve is stuck in cool?

amb. temp 48, gauges hooked up i have about 50psi on liquid and 3rd port, with about 120 at vapor line, when in both heat and cool mode. that's why i say i think valve is stuck in cool.

resistance on reversing coil is 16 ohms.

so i guess what im asking is your opinion. valve stuck? and why am i getting 24 volts in both heat and cool? shouldn't it be in heat only? relay maybe?

Thanks!

Well, if you are getting 50 psi on the liquid line and the common suction port and a higher pressure of 120 psi on the vapor line, then you are definitely not in cooling mode. It is in fact in the heating mode right now, even though those pressures are not correct. If you diconnect one of the leads from the reversing valve you should see the pressures change to a higher liquid pressure and lower vapor pressure as that would be the cooling mode. There are a few reasons why 24v is present to reversing valve even in cooling mode, but the most likely is either incorrect low voltage wiring or a faulty thermostat. The bigger issue right now becomes those pressure readings.

I'm sorry, was on my phone earlier and was in a hurry. 120 liquid and 50 vapor. sorry had it backwards. yeah and I'm doing this as a favor to a friend so i didn't rack my brain any harder on that today, even though that is all i think about. guess its a passion, or an obsession! sorry for the confusion.

Here we go again. In the best interest of the friend get some pro to work on it. Heat pumps can be tricky for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by burgsh&a View Post
    I'm sorry, was on my phone earlier and was in a hurry. 120 liquid and 50 vapor. sorry had it backwards. yeah and I'm doing this as a favor to a friend so i didn't rack my brain any harder on that today, even though that is all i think about. guess its a passion, or an obsession! sorry for the confusion.

Ok, in that case you have two problems.... 24v to reversing valve in both modes, and stuck in cooling operation no matter what. Im very suspicious of the reversing valve, and either a problem with low voltage wired incorrectly or a bad thermostat or bad defrost board. That valve should definitely be in heat operation with 24v to the solenoid. What happens when power is removed from reversing valve and then reapplied? Any clicking from the soleniod at all?

same thing i was thinking, i hear no click when applying voltage to coil, even put new one on. still nothing. used a magnet and could hear clicking manually though no valve reversing while operating. I'm thinking no matter what, reversing valve is stuck in cooling, and the voltage problem is the least of my worry's. 20 year old rheem maybe time to condemn? i don't know a tech that likes to change a reversing valve 20 years old, time for a 410? i don't know.

To me it's a no-brainer.... a 20 yr old heat pump with a bad reversing valve? Time to replace the system. They would be crazy and stupid all rolled into one to put any major expense into a system of that age and that poor efficiency, which in 1992 was probably somewhere between 8 and 10 seer.

That is a good point JPJ13 but I gave up on that when he said he was doing it for a friend which pretty much equals no cashola. I guess no new reversing vlv or system. But maybe an easy fix.

If I'm understanding the OP correctly, you have 24v at the coil in both modes.

I have seen older Rheems that defaulted to heat, like most other brands.

Have you tried unplugging the wires to the coil to see what happens with no voltage to the RV?

You may just have a control power issue.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....