How do you the employee handle this situation? - Page 5
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    I know I always felt that the employer should see what I make for him and give a raise accordingly . I never felt I should have to ask. The first time I really felt they were taking advantage of me I whet on an interview and was offered 1.75 more an hour at the other co.
    Have you ever tried to figure out just how much you bring the co. And how much he spends on you to come up with your actual hourly rate. From what you say it sounds that he should be able to pay more.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

One of my former employees made a comment once while fishing about a 2nd home I bought paid for with the sweat off their backs. It wasn't. It was from the sale of another property we owned before I started the co.
    The 1st year in biz I didn't take a paycheck. Invested it all back into the co. Lived off my wife' paycheck.
    Many moons ago my old boss made the comment I made more than he did. It was true, that year at least. I saw books regularly. And I worked more in that summer season than the other guys did all year. At that time he treated me very well. (Also the year I gave him back my Christmas Bonus, he was thankful for what I did but it was a hard winter and he wasn't in a good position to give that kind of a Bonus. I appreciated the fact he thought that much of me).

Freemind, the problem with agricultural labor jobs is most are "exempt" from wage and hour restrictions regarding hours worked and overtime. I could be incorrect, but think that anyway. Rat hole some of each check and keep planning on something better, it'll work out in the end. Believe it or not, most of us all end of living the lives we want. Sadly some live lower "quality" lives than others because they simply made poor choices. Yeah, I know I sound like a "Dad", cause yes I'm one of those too and it pleases me greatly that my children all listened. (and are doing well!). Keep planning, working, and training and it'll work out.

Quote Originally Posted by freemind View Post
    Just after my last post, the truck showed up.

Markle is a quick un' to judge me, but IF only he knew the half of it......
    There is no "e" in my last name. I've been trying to get on Wheel of Fortune for years, so I can buy a vowel....

As to "judging" you....I draw my conclusions from what you post.

I have yet to see a post from you that compliments your current or any of your past employers.

I've seen numerous posts criticizing your past and current employers.

I've seen numerous posts criticizing employers in general.....even ones you've never worked an hour for.

You seem to be an intelligent guy, who lacks knowledge. Until you gain knowledge to compliment your intelligence, you will likely continue as you are now.....angry, frustrated, and unfulfilled in your work life.

Changing careers will not rectify this. Changing how you view things will.

Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Quote Originally Posted by TACKERDOWN View Post
    I know I always felt that the employer should see what I make for him and give a raise accordingly . I never felt I should have to ask. The first time I really felt they were taking advantage of me I whet on an interview and was offered 1.75 more an hour at the other co.
    Have you ever tried to figure out just how much you bring the co. And how much he spends on you to come up with your actual hourly rate. From what you say it sounds that he should be able to pay more.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
    Yes. Here are some things I have considered...

Labor. I literally do the work, that it takes three people to do in a day. I cost him about a third would it likely would. ESPECIALLY given the fact, who in the world is REALLY willing to get dirty and actually lay hands on a shovel anymore....
    So, his labor costs are a third.

Death loss. When I came here, death loss was alotted at 10% of each group, to still make a profit. This is a tally, that has always and always will be calculated when buying calves. My death loss is less than 2%. He now "wants" a death loss of 3% or he claims he will not make a profit. I have seen the business plans for several groups recently. They are still tallied at 10%.

Medication costs and trash calves. I keep med costs down and the production of trash calves down by doing good vet work. I know what to look for and how to treat it. I have become very good at this craft. People from the neighborhood ask me advice, and how I would treat illness and injuries.

Productivity. I go from one chore to the next, like a production line. I don't need someone to watch over my shoulder, or to tell me what I should be doing. I don't miss steps. I don't screw the pooch. I work and the only break I take a day, is lunch. I don't get breaks like the rest of the guys.

I know where my value is. I know how good I have become at my craft. I am not the BEST there ever was. But, I am better than he can find with anyone else. I have given up having a "life" and free time. everything I do, has to be planned around taking care of the animals. I have sacrificed ALOT of sleep, and have been unable to do MANY hing others take for granted, all for the sake of keeping this business going. It is MY hard work and dedication that makes this work.

Where do you exactly place a value like that? How do you pay a guy that IS the backbone of your business? How do you pay a guy that can't be replaced and still have the business make a dime? I can tell you, I make pretty close to what a guy does hourly, starting out in HVAC as a apprentice. My OT is what makes a paycheck. I get more overtime pay a year, than I do in straight time. Never a dime in th bonus I was supposed to be paid, nor ANY benfits.

I have yet to see a post from you that compliments your current or any of your past employers.
    So when I said I liked my job the first three years, that wasn't a compliment?

I think Markle just likes to see what he wants and holler what a crap employee I must be.......

So when I said I liked my job the first three years, that wasn't a compliment?

I think Markle just likes to see what he wants and holler what a crap employee I must be.......

You "liked it the first three years" but then you've soured on it.

A common pattern. Not just in our trade. Typically, it's closer to 2 years. You can look at people's applications and see the patterns.....Every 2 years, they move on.

From your posts, you rarely share anything positive about any of your employers. You do, however, share lots of negatives.

There is a time and place to be negative. Being "Polyanna" isn't productive either. But let's be honest.....99% of your posts speak negatively of employers.....that's not condusive to a productive, long-term relationship in any job.

You may be fantasic at what you do. That doesn't necessarily make you a good employee.

I learned this the hard way as a teenager. I was working at a Piggly Wiggly store....the manager called me in one day.....sat me down, and said: "John, you're one of the smartest, hardest-working people I've ever worked.....but you're more trouble than you're worth......next time there's a problem I'm gonna have to let you go".....

crickets......

So, I went and got a job at Kroger. Gave my notice, and worked out my two weeks....left that store with mutual respect between myself and that manager.

Years later, it paid off....he was then managing a Tom Thumb store, and he hired me and my Dad to do his rack work. We both remembered that incident...and both had a good laugh about it.....he was right, and we both knew it.....You can fight it, or you can learn from it.

Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Just study Maslow's hieirarchy (sp?) of human needs to learn why an employee "sours" after 2 or 3 years. If you have employees, you can just about put a name at every level. Interesting stuff.

I don't know what the labor board would have to say, honestly.

I dont know what the labor board would have to say either, but you feel your being discriminated against.Originally Posted by freemind
    I am ticked because I work more hours, more days a year and he can't seem to compensate me fairly.

I am not the type to demand or BEG for a raise. Not the way I was raised or feel the way to treat your employer. So instead this is what you do? Well I guess if you were raised that way.
    If you think our goverment is screwed up. You haven't lived in another country.

Quote Originally Posted by Tech it out View Post
    The OP stated this was but one example of the lies told to him constantly. Some folks here seem to just read the part they would like to comment on. Not just this thread but several I have seen since coming here. Its not a strange thing, as it happens in every forum I have ever visited.

I think it would be good if we all read the threads posted here carefully before any comment. Then think it through before posting.
    Good point.

I didn't read the entire thread so forgive me if this has been stated previously, but...

I would say that he could be telling you a half truth, meaning that he actually pays himself at an hourly rate that's less than some of the employees and perhaps doesn't charge himself overtime but he also pays all his bills and buys things to use at his house and runs them through the business.

You better bet that tractor was/is a business expense and the vacations probably were too. Just saying....
    Saving the world...one service call at a time.

Freemind you suffer from Big Ego. You work hard and probably deserve more money but the boss is gonna make his money off you till you move on. He can probably read you easily. The bottom line here is you will only be satisfied when you are the boss, untill then you will always be the workhorse cause that is what makes you tick.

Oh, I am glad I read this one!!

I worked for a company .... For the sake of name dropping I'll call them ICJ..... Although my boss didnt own the company he sure acted like everything came out of his pocket ( understandable to have dedication... Make good boss). But .... Every job was in the red. ( and they wast 5-10k $$ jobs .... More like 300k-500k.). So after the 10th time hearing the same old song and dance I realize , if we are loosing this much money ... Corporate would pull the plug already ,.,,

I came to the realization that "Shinny shoes " people are just a budget booster .... Sure, you might wanna hear what they got to say... But take it with a grain of salt.... You know the truth ....

"Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the world together."

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast