Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    Then you shouldn't have any trouble at all, finding alternate employment.

Why stay someplace that makes you miserable? Unless you're into masochism?
    Finding another job doing my job now, would require me to pack up and move. There are very few places of our size raising this many head of steers. I can't leave the area. My mom is in a nursing home and she is well taken care of. If I left, it would be a fight to find another nursing home that could care for her in a way I approve of. I am not about to dump her someplace to convinience myself.

Thats why I am taking classes in HVAC. I want to stay here. Jobs that pay more than minimum wage are hard to find.

Quote Originally Posted by freemind View Post
    Finding another job doing my job now, would require me to pack up and move. There are very few places of our size raising this many head of steers. I can't leave the area. My mom is in a nursing home and she is well taken care of. If I left, it would be a fight to find another nursing home that could care for her in a way I approve of. I am not about to dump her someplace to convinience myself.

Thats why I am taking classes in HVAC. I want to stay here. Jobs that pay more than minimum wage are hard to find.
    If you are as smart as you sound you should have no problem finding a job in the hvac field after school. May have to take a decrease in pay in the beginning but it's a benefit in the end. I hope all is well with your mother and I agree quality nursing homes are hard to find. I work in several both good and bad. Just be careful in how you approach new employment. Employers do not like employees with a chip on there shoulder. Go getter and the willingness to learn is how you will excel in this field. Good luck.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Freemind, you sound like a "great" employee, who simply needs a more challenging job where your skills and abilities are rewarded. Based on your posts it also sounds like you are restricted to location due to family. I'd look at the schooling and getting your certifications, and based on your personality your long range "goal" might be self employment after a few years of learning the ropes. Your present job could be just another "means" towards this goal, and nothing more. Endure it, take what you can from it and move on. I called this a "transition job" with my kids (who are all grown now). You did it for a reason to accomplish another more important goal. It's evidently not perfect and won't be, just endure it and get through this time. No boss is perfect as Lord knows I've had some crap ones myself. Swore that would not be me when and if the time came that I was in charge. Hopefully it's not, as I've had employees now for the last 25 years and still have some of the originals with me!! Sounds like your existing boss is an idiot, let him be that and go on. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    Which is EXACTLY why I DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT, participate in dealer trips....I think it's a bad deal, for the guys to get out there and do a great job of selling and installing......and the I get to go to Hawaii, or Jamaica, or wherever.....
    Is there a way you could pass the trip to your key people?
    Beware of advice given by some guy on the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Milk man View Post
    Is there a way you could pass the trip to your key people?
    Dunno....never pursued one....I do pass on the gift cards to Bass Pro Shops that we get from time to time.....I wouldn't know what to do in a place like that
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

People lie, it's a fact of life. Personally I don't care for story tellers and "twisters" as company but even I have embellished and distorted things at times or more often, completely screwed up the facts. I feel no shame in admitting this, I keep a standard of truth with the people in my everyday life as much as possible. To me it's a matter of decency.

Quote Originally Posted by wahoo View Post
    Freemind, you sound like a "great" employee, who simply needs a more challenging job where your skills and abilities are rewarded. Based on your posts it also sounds like you are restricted to location due to family. I'd look at the schooling and getting your certifications, and based on your personality your long range "goal" might be self employment after a few years of learning the ropes. Your present job could be just another "means" towards this goal, and nothing more. Endure it, take what you can from it and move on. I called this a "transition job" with my kids (who are all grown now). You did it for a reason to accomplish another more important goal. It's evidently not perfect and won't be, just endure it and get through this time. No boss is perfect as Lord knows I've had some crap ones myself. Swore that would not be me when and if the time came that I was in charge. Hopefully it's not, as I've had employees now for the last 25 years and still have some of the originals with me!! Sounds like your existing boss is an idiot, let him be that and go on. Good luck!
    Thank you! You are a good guy. I can tell from the way you talk, you are a salt of the earth, kinda guy. Likely explains the reason you have some VERY long term employees.

You are right, this job is nothing but a vehicle to get me to the end goal. More education certainly is another goal, but I know I need to get my feet wet in the HVAC field too. I already have prepared myself for a pay drop.

Tonight I was going to print out my resume, but found when I switched files from the old computer to the new one, the files didn't mix-n-match. I have to rebuild my resume now..

Not like I don't have time tonight. I have to unload cattle at 1 AM and get back in to work at 7 AM. Such is life, or better put, the lack OF a life for me.....

Just after my last post, the truck showed up.

Markle is a quick un' to judge me, but IF only he knew the half of it......

Boss, (you know, the guy who pays me and has his golden cash invested) didn't bother to answe his phone when the trucker has been calling him over the past HOUR. My boss likes to, ehhh, drink. I don't care what a guy does, so long as they don't endanger me, or cause my life misery. My guess is, he had a little too much happy juice again, and couldn't hear his phone.....

So I took care of business and looked out for his investment. I did the job by myself, AGAIN. I won't be holding my breath for a "thank you", much less a raise.

I have to wonder though, why am I the only guy looking out for HIS investments? Why does a guy like him, feel I don't deserve a better living?

Whatever. Life goes on......

you made me wonder what I was making an hour I figured it's about 14 bucks the rest goes back into the company or should I say most of it goes to the government

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

today was a little worse than normal I start at 7 this morning it's 1 in the morning now

Quote Originally Posted by freemind View Post
    I am ticked because I work more hours, more days a year and he can't seem to compensate me fairly. .
    Not funny except I've been there. Thats why he lies to you, comparing your income and his. He sees you working, he knows what you want. He knows you wont ask after he does the ol wage comp with the boss gig and if you grow a pair and do ask thats what hes going to fall back on.

Why should he pay more for what hes already getting. Infact he may see it as your slacking if you don't do the extra hours.

But its situations like this that get all caught up with the labor board.
    If you think our goverment is screwed up. You haven't lived in another country.

Quote Originally Posted by TACKERDOWN View Post
    you made me wonder what I was making an hour I figured it's about 14 bucks the rest goes back into the company or should I say most of it goes to the government

Yes, uncle scam LOVES your money. I am not fooled into thinking business owners are ROLLING around in free cash. I know it can be tough for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempted View Post
    Not funny except I've been there. Thats why he lies to you, comparing your income and his. He sees you working, he knows what you want. He knows you wont ask after he does the ol wage comp with the boss gig and if you grow a pair and do ask thats what hes going to fall back on.

Why should he pay more for what hes already getting. Infact he may see it as your slacking if you don't do the extra hours.

But its situations like this that get all caught up with the labor board.

I don't know what the labor board would have to say, honestly.

I am not the type to demand or BEG for a raise. Not the way I was raised or feel the way to treat your employer.

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast