+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 3 wire pilot burners

Post Likes

Confused 3 wire pilot burners

For the last few years, all the 3 wire pilot burners Ive replaced on the older BDP spark ignition furnaces have been failing within a few days to a few months after installing them. Anyone else having the same problem? Am I possibly overlooking something thats causing them to fail prematurely? Ever since the totaline parts distributor left my town, I've had to buy my non totaline BDP pilot burners from Johnstone Supply. Is the different manufacture the problem?
    Also, can the BDP spark ignition system be replaced with HSI?

Thanks!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by kirwinjd View Post
    For the last few years, all the 3 wire pilot burners Ive replaced on the older BDP spark ignition furnaces have been failing within a few days to a few months after installing them. Anyone else having the same problem? Am I possibly overlooking something thats causing them to fail prematurely? Ever since the totaline parts distributor left my town, I've had to buy my non totaline BDP pilot burners from Johnstone Supply. Is the different manufacture the problem?

Thanks!
    I've had problems with the 3 wire pilots from Johnstone. I use them as a two wire. I've had two over the last couple of years that were DOA.

Post Likes
    That's why I don't like using aftermarket parts. we found out that a 3/4 HP universal motor(also from Johnstone) doesn't last long in a Carrier furnace.

Edit: not all aftermarket parts are bad but in my experience they have caused more problems but they are handy if your in a pinch

Post Likes
    I bought one from Johnstone (yeah partly cause they were half the oem cost) and it gave problems. It was short cycling the gas valve off and on. Johnstone said they had a bad batch. The one I had was probably picked up near the end of last winter.
    I have also heard of problems with the off brand boards.

Post Likes
    The Robertshaw replacement is problematic. I believe this is the one Johnstone supply is providing.

Most of the time the spark gap is hard to get correct and if it does lite, the switch doesn't always close for the hot junction.

You will have to get the OEM part somewhere.

Post Likes
    Ok thanks. Of course Johnstone keeps claiming that I'm the only one having a problem with them. FYI: Johnstone was using Robert Shaw but now I see they are selling the pilot burners made by Mars.

Post Likes
    I've had problems with them, but it was my fault when I dropped the orifice and didn't realize it. Oops! Once, the guy before me damaged the bottom of the combustion chamber and air was entering through and blowing the pilot off the sensor. Bent it back as best as possible and sealed it with RTV.

Post Likes

Thanks!
    Those red,white,blue ones from johnstone don't last very long, i went back to the oem bdp burner to prevent call backs

Post Likes
    Ok thanks. Of course Johnstone keeps claiming that I'm the only one having a problem with them. FYI: Johnstone was using Robert Shaw but now I see they are selling the pilot burners made by Mars.
    Hey they told me I was the only one!
    Kidding. They did say they had a bad run. I tried one cause I was in there for something else and needed one for truck stock. I'll have to go back to the OEM style. That's the one where you feel like you should be wearing a ski hood when you present them with the invoice.

What is surprising is that it seems three companies manufacture these things. Not the simplest thing to begin manufacturing for a fairly limited demand.

Post Likes
    If it has a 3 wire or standing pilot, it needs to be replaced...
    It's likely the pick coil is starting to fail. If you think the pilot is expensive, you should price the oem gas valve.
    "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing" Socrates

Post Likes
    I used to carry those pilot assemblies but the last one went out the door about 2-years ago and it had been on my truck for 5-years. IMO those old furnaces are in need of replacement just due to age! Not energy efficient by today's standards and in our area, the numbers are so thin that it's not worth stocking repair parts. That can leave the customer with no heat in cold weather (just like a lot of other things, admittedly) when it could have been avoided.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    Thanks for all the input. But can anyone answer my second question: can I convert the BDP spark ignition furnace over to HSI? Is there a kit out there that the existing wire harness can plug into the new control board?

Post Likes
    Thanks for all the input. But can anyone answer my second question: can I convert the BDP spark ignition furnace over to HSI? Is there a kit out there that the existing wire harness can plug into the new control board?
    Is it just a spark pilot without an inducer?

Post Likes
    sure you could make it HSI.....would take a little bit of experience/talent. I'm pretty sure that there is not a kit for it.

A lot of people will tell you that your responsible if something goes wrong with it. but your responsible for the furnace until someone new comes along and touches it any way. If your confident that you know what you're doing then go for it.

Ingenuity!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by gravity View Post
    sure you could make it HSI.....would take a little bit of experience/talent. I'm pretty sure that there is not a kit for it.

A lot of people will tell you that your responsible if something goes wrong with it. but your responsible for the furnace until someone new comes along and touches it any way. If your confident that you know what you're doing then go for it.

Ingenuity!
    You are, of course, correct that there is a level of responsibility in all work. But it's the legal hawk that comes into play that can hang you. If you work on a furnace made by XYZ company and it's passed certification rules in effect at the time of manufacture by all the alphabet groups involved, then if something goes wrong with the appliance and it's not gross negligence on your part, then the damages suffered are very apt to flow right past you and up to the manufacturer, provided everything is the same as it was when certified.

If, on the other hand, the unit has been modified and you are established as the modifier, then the 'buck' stops there. You are liable for the entire unit as modified. Your lawyer may fight that your modification didn't create the problem (worse if it did!!) but the manufacturer's lawyer will argue with great success that you at least contributed to the failure/issue by modifying the unit. So as much as we say, "buyer beware", when it comes to using your ingenuity to modify a product, you may be a hero for a while, hopefully forever but the risk you take is a quantum leap from just replacing parts with approved parts for that furnace.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by skippedover View Post
    You are, of course, correct that there is a level of responsibility in all work. But it's the legal hawk that comes into play that can hang you. If you work on a furnace made by XYZ company and it's passed certification rules in effect at the time of manufacture by all the alphabet groups involved, then if something goes wrong with the appliance and it's not gross negligence on your part, then the damages suffered are very apt to flow right past you and up to the manufacturer, provided everything is the same as it was when certified.

If, on the other hand, the unit has been modified and you are established as the modifier, then the 'buck' stops there. You are liable for the entire unit as modified. Your lawyer may fight that your modification didn't create the problem (worse if it did!!) but the manufacturer's lawyer will argue with great success that you at least contributed to the failure/issue by modifying the unit. So as much as we say, "buyer beware", when it comes to using your ingenuity to modify a product, you may be a hero for a while, hopefully forever but the risk you take is a quantum leap from just replacing parts with approved parts for that furnace.
    I agree 100%. I think most of us have made an 'alteration' if only as a temporary fix. Typically the person with the least cash ,us, will usually be made the scapegoat there is no reason to provide further ammo.

Look at that water htr company that got sued big time. Some guy gave his pal an old water heater. Pal hooks it up and does not vent the flue. Homeowner croaks and manufacturer gets nailed because there was no sticker on tank about venting it!

It's at the point where if I have a homeowner asking me on phone how to light a pilot on an older furnace or water heater I have to tell them I can't!

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in