Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hermetic compressor oil change?

how is this done?

Never heard of anyone try that before. It is possible but probably not a good idea unless you absolutley have to. Why do you think you have to change the oil? or are you just wondering if it is possible?

Talking Why?

Why you wanna change the oil in compressor have a problem with unit
    Im a technician not a magician

Where the Women are fast and the horses are pretty...Tennessee
    I replied with info that has been removed. Maby I said something wrong? Anyway, There are times oil needs to be changed during a cleanup.If The compressor is hermetic/residential, there won't be a charging port and the compressor will need to be removed to service.

Talking There are times

Yes there are times when it needs to be changes i was asking why she wants to change it
    Im a technician not a magician

Red face not to step on any toes...

Yea I would like to know more about the situation too, and was just responding to the origional question. By the way- I found my first reply over in the commercial forum

turn the compressor upside down and pour oil out of the suction line or process tube. Get compressor info from supply house and see what type of oil and the amount needed to go back. better yet, pour oil into cup and measure exactly same amount to go back in compressor cause you wont get all the old oil out on first try

i thought to clean a system with dirty oil you kept changing the filter driers till the acid was less then 50 ppm.i was asked to give a estimate to change it on a few 7.5 ton splits and was curios what was involved with it.just always did it with driers.

Let me first state that I had a tough day today and it is Friday night and I've had 2 or 3 (okay, maybe 4 or 5) more rum and cokes than I should have... but I've never seen a situation where a residential hermetic compressor needed an oil change. Wouldn't they have a drain plug if it where necessary?

If you have an acid condition you are replacing the compressor or the cond. unit and you need to do a clean up, but you are not changing the oil in the compressor that already went bye-bye.

well supposedly who ever changed the compressor origanally did not do a proper clean up.so the oil in the new compressor mixed with the oil in the rest of the system.both units running good just was asked for estimate for the job .

Quote Originally Posted by txcchbubba View Post
    Let me first state that I had a tough day today and it is Friday night and I've had 2 or 3 (okay, maybe 4 or 5) more rum and cokes than I should have... but I've never seen a situation where a residential hermetic compressor needed an oil change. Wouldn't they have a drain plug if it where necessary?

If you have an acid condition you are replacing the compressor or the cond. unit and you need to do a clean up, but you are not changing the oil in the compressor that already went bye-bye.
    Never changed oil in residentail sealed hermetic but in refrigeration units especially POE oil several times.

Replaceable core suction filters work

Quote Originally Posted by onad View Post
    well supposedly who ever changed the compressor origanally did not do a proper clean up.so the oil in the new compressor mixed with the oil in the rest of the system.both units running good just was asked for estimate for the job .
    Normally, HH filters (high acid capacity) will handle the contaminates in whatever the old compressor pumps out- but if your customer (or whomever) wants an estimate to change the oil, there is a kit available to hand pump oil out through the suction inlet of some compressors. You may want to contact the manufacture rep to see if the compressor you have will allow the tube to snake down to the bottom of the crankcase. As mentioned earlier, if capacity data is not available, measure back into the same amount (and kind) removed. Good Luck

What will cause the acid in the Compressor oil?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast