Thread: rheem 13pjl

rheem 13pjl

I've had two of these in the past 6 months spring a leak where the equalizer tube meets it's female adapter entering the 3/4 line. The only comon factor is that they both had high head pressure (410-430) due to to one having a filthy filter and the other guy plugged his basement runs with insulation. Has anyone run into this issue with rheem and do you think the head presure thing was just coincidence?

Yes I have had several do that about 2 years ago. Ruud seemed to think it was a vibration coming from the compressor. Also had a Lennox unit do the same thing. All pressures normal on these systems. I did change the compressor on one unit after it broke twice. You could see the cap tube vibrating before the compressor change and vibration was gone after and have not had problems since then.

The PJL is basically a weather-king with a rheem sticker stuck to it. We call it a cube.

Ive had to change several outdoor TXV's on that model but it wasnt the equalizer tube it was the sensing bulb cap tube that had broken. They were almost new and in pristine condition so I think yours being dirty was just coincidence.

Havnt been told the compressor was the issue but it was obvious vibration was the culprit.

Thanks guys. Do you have any tricks to repairing the leak in such a small line? The first repair cause an obstruction. Low pressure would drop off to 0 and kick out. And yes I did run Nitro.

If its long enough cut the bad part out. When cutting a cap tube you have to use a tool. I use a triangular file and score the cap tube until i can break it so it wont affect the bore.

You then have to make sure you insert the tube far enough into the suction line to keep from clogging the tube with sil-fos

alright thanks for the tip.

Bumping this post back up from the past. We've had 2 13PJLs do this to us this year. Just went out on one where the factory braze joint cracked but didn't break. I noticed that on the brand new one we just installed Rheem has added some sort of heat shrink tubing to reinforce the connection.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Good? Bad? I'm the guy with the gun.

The cube heat pumps have been a thorn in our side since Rheem brought them back 10 years ago. The 13 & 15 have been a bit better than the 10 & 12s but still have been a pain. Couple of RVs and they are royally a nightmare to change. I hate to see them sold but the salesmen say homeowners want CHEAP and not buy the rectangles.

We won't even quote the cubes any more. If it's gonna be Rheem it's gonna be a Prestige.

Here's a shot of the most recent one I encountered:

A better angle:

The joint cracked but didn't break. Lost the entire charge. Rheem rep tells us they aren't having an issue, it's just us, etc. Yet what do I see on a brand new one?

Now they're reinforcing that joint with some kind of heat shrink tubing.

Yeah doug, they said that about the Emerson c txv's to and then switched to a whole new valve from sporlan, me thinks they just like to say its not a problem to give them enough time to find a solution. They did the same thing on x-13's for their gas packs, "what? no there's no moisture problem killing the modules" 4 months later the bulletin comes out "hey we have new improved modules on our gas packs that are more moisture resistant".

I think pretty much every manufacturer handles it that way.

Found another one today, 15PJL. Name:  ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392855777.792358.jpg
Views: 171
Size:  234.3 KB

rheem 13pjl

Bumping this thread with an update. Had ANOTHER 15PJL do this. The joint cracked but didn't break a few weeks ago. Our tech repaired it to get the guy heat. Called back the other day, it broke again in a different spot. After the usual from our wholesaler (you guys didn't charge it right, it's only you, etc) we showed them this thread. A few calls later we were told that Rheem IS having an issue and they are coming out with a kit for us to put on the existing units that includes that shrink tubing. I haven't seen a kit yet so I don't know what it entails but at least we finally got them to admit it's an issue.