Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

That's A LOT of refrigerant!

Went out last Friday to give a second opinion on another companies diagnosis. Real high subcooling and real high superheat. Diagnosed indoor txv bad. Got the job and did it today. Recovered a total of 29.5 lbs of 410a!!! Was a package 5 ton and label plate data had it exactly at 17 lbs total charge required. I've been seeing some really crazy stuff ever since starting service work in the city.

Yup....1st guy thought it was low. So he added some gas. It restricted a little more. Second guy comes and adds some gas.....

Are you sure it was TXV and not the drier?

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Did you diagnose the bad txv? Or other company?

Good men mean well. We just don't always end up doing well.

It's amazing how many techs will keep dumping it in to get the low side up. Your subcooling was way up indicating a lot backed up in the condenser and yet a starving evaporator.

I actually checked subcooling on both sides of the drier. It was definitely the txv. The other company told them and I quote "non condensables are clogging up your txv and evaporator coil." Unit was 2 years old and they were trying to sell them a new unit.

Why, you tell those dirty noncons to get right back in the condenser where they are supposed to be trapped!

I guess those extra 12.5 lbs would be considered "non condensable" haha...

I know of some companies that only check charge using low side gauge and the "feel" of suction line.

Sad

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lol. Yeah my eyes popped wide on this one. I'm just glad I was paying attention to the recovery weight. Started with a new 30 lb tank. Glad I had room left in another. Figured some people would get a laugh outa this one.

That's A LOT of refrigerant!

Seems to be the most common/overlooked problem that gets missed on a regular basis these days....doesn't surprise me really though.

The worst one I recall was a chiller with low water flow and I pulled 140 out and it only required 81.

I pulled 29 lbs out of a four ton split. Unit only needed 9 lbs after replacing liquid drier.

Quote Originally Posted by BP1972 View Post
    Went out last Friday to give a second opinion on another companies diagnosis. Real high subcooling and real high superheat. Diagnosed indoor txv bad. Got the job and did it today. Recovered a total of 29.5 lbs of 410a!!! Was a package 5 ton and label plate data had it exactly at 17 lbs total charge required. I've been seeing some really crazy stuff ever since starting service work in the city.
    Isn't it funny how the commercial tecks are always down talking the resi techs but don't know how to diagnose a restriction. Good stuff.
    My name is TooCoolforschool and I am a chronic over charger.

Quote Originally Posted by socotech View Post
    I pulled 29 lbs out of a four ton split. Unit only needed 9 lbs after replacing liquid drier.

Wow. I'm from a rural area. Last company I worked for I knew most customers on a first name basis. We just didn't do this kind of stuff. I've just recently moved into a more metro area and now seeing some really off the wall stuff. This being one of them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast