Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Glennhvac View Post
    I'm following this thread because I have noticed that txv coils made in the last few years seem to take forever to equalize.
    i think in the last few years the mfg. have been spec.ing hard shut off valves that arent supposed to bleed thru in the off cycle. probably due to
    to migration issues in the off cycle.

maybe thats why you here so much about compressor hard start kits

Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    i think in the last few years the mfg. have been spec.ing hard shut off valves that arent supposed to bleed thru in the off cycle. probably due to
    to migration issues in the off cycle.
    Is that what is going on?
    I'm just glad that most of my installations have thermostats with a TD in them because the matching condensers are not coming with any form of start kit.

in my world if it hasa txv it gets a start kit.
    tried the time delay but ended up with call backs.

Quote Originally Posted by marvin View Post
    in my world if it hasa txv it gets a start kit.
    tried the time delay but ended up with call backs.
    Then I am guessing an oem option if available? I good number of the units I install do not have them factory installed and I have always been concerned about a warranty issue. It's unlikely to be discovered but still a concern. Are you using one of those combo devices? ie supco,etc

i use the kick start mostlly. ive tried the ptc type but didnt care for them.

2 reasons for the hard shutoff txvs.
    one is for migration
    second is efficiency. they feel if the txv shuts off it will keep the refrigerant at a subcooled state until it turns on again. they say this is more efficient. but you also should not skimp out on adding a hard start kit if the unit doesnt come with one. you will ask for trouble if you have call backs or not. just because you havent got called about the problem doesnt mean it aint there

sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by bluecool View Post
    My thinking that the suction pressure becomes lower when the unit cycles off is incorrect.
    The suction pressure goes up when the unit cycles off.
    In the off cycle, spring pressure+suction Pressure > bulb pressure, so the TXV closes.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Quote Originally Posted by jpsmith1cm View Post
    The external equalizer tube has nothing to do with pressure equalization.
    I wish some counter guys knew that...I order a coil cabinet and ask if the TXV is self balancing the guy says" It has a n internal balancing port"...or if I get more specific and order a TXV that is self equalizing, they say "Its has an equalizer line"...sigh

Do yourself a favor and go to the Sporlan website and read their theory of operation and study the different types of valves. It's time well spent.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

`. .` .>(((>

`... `. .` .>(((>

.` .>(((>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Quote Originally Posted by Cooked View Post
    Do yourself a favor and go to the Sporlan website and read their theory of operation and study the different types of valves. It's time well spent.
    I used to fly down there and work on those super tankers and texas is so cool. I probly passed by your house once or twice catching three eyed fish .

Quote Originally Posted by pressordrop1 View Post
    I used to fly down there and work on those super tankers and texas is so cool. I probly passed by your house once or twice catching three eyed fish .
    The Exxon refinery is less than 1/3 mile from the house by water. At any given moment you can see up to 3 ULCC (ultra large crude carrier) class tankers in dock. If you didn't know that's the largest refinery in the U.S.

Across the channel are Dow Chemical, Shell Oil and about dozen others. I always wondered what it would look like if one of the reactors blew up. I've got some cool pics of you care to see them.
    The picture in my avatar is of the Houston Ship Channel and was taken from my backyard. I like to sit outside and slap mosquitos while watching countless supertankers, barges and cargo ships of every shape and size carry all sorts of deadly toxins to and fro. It's really beautiful at times.....just don't eat the three eyed fish....

`. .` .>(((>

`... `. .` .>(((>

.` .>(((>

LMAOSHMSFOAIDMT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast