Thread: 3 ton air coil with 2 ton unit

Post Likes
    I had a thermopride gas forced air furnace installed last year. I had them add an air coil (13seer). Now I am looking to have the AC put in and one guy qouted me an american standard 13 seer unit (2 ton) with all the eletrical for $2300. Seemed reasonable. He said the air coil was a 3ton coil. With this cause problems with a 2 ton unit? I am clueless when it comes it HVAC. Thanks

Ray

Post Likes
    The indoor coil should be what the outdoor unit manufacturer calls for. In some brands, that could be a 3 ton coil for a 2 ton unit. Today, you can't just go by the size indicator in the indoor coil. American-Standard requires an expansion valve indoor coil so they don't use bigger coils. So the correct coil for a A-S 2 ton would be the 024 coil. If your indoor coil is not a matching American-Standard coil, nobody can tell you how well it will work. If you want close to 13 SEER, it should have an expansion valve on it.

Post Likes
    Edit out the pricing, its not allowed herre.

I'd get the same brand condenser as indoor coil.

Post Likes
    A lot of manufacturers mandate TXV evaporators on new 13+ SEER condensers, otherwise the warranty on compressor is voided.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by matt_tech
    A lot of manufacturers mandate TXV evaporators on new 13+ SEER condensers, otherwise the warranty on compressor is voided.
    And who are those? Do you know?
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"It's what you learn after you know it all that counts." ~ John Wooden

"When the teachers become unteachable we're all in trouble" ~ Mr. Bill

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Juat had update class on Bryant last month. All warranties on condensers installed on systems with no txv automatically reverts to 1 yr. The instructor/rep said he would be surprised if they lasted that long. The oil will not feed properly, compressor will starve. I believe same goes for carrier.

Post Likes
    So who will be policing all these installs?
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards" ~ Vernon Law

"Remember "Pro" is only a name, it's not always a mindset determined to do everything correctly" ~ Mr. Bill

Post Likes
    Don't know about you, but if I want credit on a warranty job, I have to turn in old comp. If unit is fairly new, I guarantee it is going to be cut open. Prob 1 of downsides of living near Bryant's main digs. Too many engineers for comfort. lol :]

Post Likes
    If they actually did that, that would be great.

But when's the last time you had a manufacturers rep come out and even look to see if its a matched system if you had a compressor go out in a year.

Post Likes
    Don't know about you, but if I want credit on a warranty job, I have to turn in old comp. If unit is fairly new, I guarantee it is going to be cut open. Prob 1 of downsides of living near Bryant's main digs. Too many engineers for comfort. lol :]
    The first 18 monthes of compressor warranty are by the comp manufacturer.

Post Likes
    I have to turn in old comp. If unit is fairly new, I guarantee it is going to be cut open.
    OMG!!
    Yeppers you can bet this will happen.

Post Likes
    beenthere- Do what you want. Live on the edge. Face death in the eye & ask him to dance. I can't afford to take chances, comp's are too expensive. Bryant/Carrier warranties are mostly 5 & 10 years p&l now. Our supplier is looking at old sales invoices to see if matching coils were sold. Comp's are going back to the factory for teardown. What more can I say?

Post Likes
    Our supplier is looking at old sales invoices to see if matching coils were sold. Comp's are going back to the factory for teardown. What more can I say?
    So that would mean that they never sold any condenser without a matching coil? How do they stay in business?

Post Likes
    beenthere- Do what you want. Live on the edge. Face death in the eye & ask him to dance. I can't afford to take chances, comp's are too expensive. Bryant/Carrier warranties are mostly 5 & 10 years p&l now. Our supplier is looking at old sales invoices to see if matching coils were sold. Comp's are going back to the factory for teardown. What more can I say?
    LOL...

I'm not telling you to mismatch, or install it wrong.

But if they were really serious, then you couldn't buy a condeser without buying the matching indoor coil/unit.
    Or they would have you sign an afadavid that the existing indoor is a match, and you'd have to provide them the model and serial number to prove it.

Post Likes
    Why can you not use a different sized piston (the plastic piece that you can easily burn when you are soldering in an outside unit)??? Why would this not work??? HELLO?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in