Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Dress to impress for interview?

What type of attire would you wear to an interview.. Is casual acceptable for a blue collar job?

I go balls to the wall and wear a tux. I have never failed a job interview.

Try it.
    UA LU189

10mm, because it's better than .45acp

I certainly wouldn't wear a suit for an interview for a tech or installer position.

Nice jeans, and a nice long sleeve shirt. A nice pair of shoes too. Not work boots or tennis shoes.

Dress like you are applying for the job above the one you are applying for.

dockers and a dress shirt
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

Dockers and a Polo....
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

I wear the uniform from my current company cause chances are I at the interveiw during lunch.

its always appropriate to dress for the level above the job you are seeking. I dont know who made up the rules, but that is a rule of thumb. think field supervisor or office guy. dress pants of some sort and a clean/pressed dress shirt. I personally would think a jacket may be overdoing it, but some wouldnt mind at all. just dont show up in dirty jeans and a work tee shirt.

You know your a redneck when you show up to a job interveiw with a beer in your hand.

Quote Originally Posted by jmiles View Post
    What type of attire would you wear to an interview.. Is casual acceptable for a blue collar job?
    Dress one level above the position you are seeking.

Wearing a suit can impress, but just as easily backfire.

There are many, many sites dedicated to job seeking that will show up in an internet search.

More important than the clothes is the answer to the question: "Tell me a little about yourself".

My greatest issues with interviews wasnt my dressing it was my car. My last jobs have afforded me very nice, expensive rare cars that i own outright. My current job searches are for much, much lower pay and in a different field that wouldnt allow anyone to own the cars i do. Ive had a few employers see the car i drive in with and tell me im not a good fit for the job because they cant/wont pay me to keep my life style. Ive recently bought a cheap beater car to go on interviews with so that doesnt happen anymore and i get to keep my car collection.
    For dressing i dress for the job, im not applying for the job above me. If im interviewing in a office and no were else ill dress casual nice even for a service tech job. If i know im going to go anywere near a production floor or by heavy equipment ill wear boots and safety glasses. I also always have my tools with me in the car. Last job i got it was because i had my tools with me and no other tech did so they couldnt pass the simple test.

Quote Originally Posted by coilcleaner View Post
    I wear the uniform from my current company cause chances are I at the interveiw during lunch.
    Yep thats what I do - if I am dirty I do put on a clean uniform prior and bursh my hair ( whats left ) lol and make sure I'm neat and tidy

I can't fathom how an interviewer would expect a hands on trade guy to show up for an interview in a suit n tie ???
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Don't forget the rolex. Boss won't hire you because you have a nice car? Sounds like he is trying to hold you down.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast