The magnetic contactor has 4 wires on it. The top 2 wires burnt off and started a mini fire in the system. Burnt the contactor, circuit board, and burnt/melted the TXV sensing bulb tubing. What would cause these wires to burn like this? I am giving the customer a quote on a repair, but its almost not worth repairing after all the money will be spent fixing this unit.

Any idea's why this may happen?

Dead Ice Machine?

Originally posted by hvacsteve82
    .... I am giving the customer a quote on a repair, but its almost not worth repairing after all the money will be spent fixing this unit.
    If this machine needs my services, let me know soon. I anticipate taking a trip to Wallkill in the next month or two.

Fred

The magnetic contactor has 4 wires on it. The top 2 wires burnt off and started a mini fire in the system. Burnt the contactor, circuit board, and burnt/melted the TXV sensing bulb tubing. What would cause these wires to burn like this? I am giving the customer a quote on a repair, but its almost not worth repairing after all the money will be spent fixing this unit.

It sounds like the compressor may have died, and shirted out, hard to really tel unless you see it inperson, and trace the wires around.

Re: Dead Ice Machine?

Originally posted by ice machine undertaker
    .... I am giving the customer a quote on a repair, but its almost not worth repairing after all the money will be spent fixing this unit.
    If this machine needs my services, let me know soon. I anticipate taking a trip to Wallkill in the next month or two.

Fred

Who are you Fred? Do I know you? How do know this is in Wallkill...and i'm not talking about the Wallkill near Middletown.

Re: Re: Dead Ice Machine?

Who are you Fred? Do I know you? How do know this is in Wallkill...and i'm not talking about the Wallkill near Middletown. [/B]
    I have a cousin in Wallkill (north of Walden) who needs a visit.

wires burning off could have been something as simple as a loose connection.

Re: Re: Re: Dead Ice Machine?

Originally posted by ice machine undertaker

Who are you Fred? Do I know you? How do know this is in Wallkill...and i'm not talking about the Wallkill near Middletown.
    I have a cousin in Wallkill (north of Walden) who needs a visit.

[/B]
    Funny thing is that is the Wallkill/Walden area the ice machine is located. Amazing.

Cusotmer is going to replace ice machine. I talked to them today.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Dead Ice Machine?

Funny thing is that is the Wallkill/Walden area the ice machine is located. Amazing.

Customer is going to replace ice machine. I talked to them today. [/B]

I spoke with my cousin today. The anticipated date of travel is on or about June 1. If the ice machine needs a proper burial, my email is in my profile.

Fred

Haha, It should be replaced by then. If you want it i'll save it for you possibly, unless the bossman wants it for some odd reason.

Here's my theory:

On the contactor the bottom terminals go to the coil and the top two (11 and 12, I think) are your power to the compressor. The compressor has an external overload which I suspect got welded closed, possibly due to repeated trips caused by a failed start cap and/or relay.

In my experience, a loose connection will usually burn locally, not over the entire length of the conductors, so I believe its not that.

I would expect the compressor is fried as well as a result.

tech

Quote Originally Posted by hvacsteve82 View Post

hey Steve i guess my first question to you will be how old is this unit? that occur to me once a while back i called tech support but the only logical answer that the have was that the contactor had a bad inside contacts which makes the contactor to super over heat cousing posible problems to near by electrical components. this happens 1 in a 1000 contactors its a manufactures problem.
    your customer should change that unit.
    good luck!!!:

LOL they changed it out 4 years ago...thats how old this thread is!