Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bacnet / lonworks

Dear All

as informed by my BMS contractor, they said they is no much difference between bacnet and lonworks ? do you agree with this ?

Well that's quite the loaded question.
    Go Rangers!

Quote Originally Posted by ykleung View Post
    Dear All

as informed by my BMS contractor, they said they is no much difference between bacnet and lonworks ? do you agree with this ?
    may be they meant that there is not much difference in functionality between the BACnet and Lonworks products/controllers that they have/install, then that is possible.

But as far as the way BCAnet protocol and Lonworks protocol works, there are differences.

BACnet & LON take a different approach, but both get the job done. You can find manufacturers who build great products that are LON and manufacturers who make great products that are BACnet. Sadly, you can also find some manufacturers who build duds of either or both types.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that your BMS contractor likely knows what they are saying. If they rep a good BACnet line and a good LON line and they suggest that it will be invisible under the hood, then I don't see why they would mislead you.

If one becomes much more prevalent in the future, there will always be gateways to support the other. It's not like you're pitting a proprietary protocol against an open one...

Recommend you search the past threads for this question...there are hours of reading on the subject on here!
    Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

If your contractor says there's no difference between the two, ask him which they use and why. If he says they use both, and insists there the same, he needs to go back for more training.

No differences, just like Korean and Japanese!
    RealEyes
    Realize
    RealLies!

IV IV IX

use your head for something other than a hat rack.......Gerry

Viceman, that 2003 document wasn't true in 2003 and it's certainly not lying any less now.

This quote really got under my skin- "Device-Level BACnet data is typically exchanged through supervisory devices creating a tiered network architecture."

I'm upset at that statement not (just) because it's a lie, but because it's the same lie that some people keep spreading around year after year after year.

It's only been a couple of months since I realized that this dishonest bull was being disseminated. We all learned a bit from one another in that thread. One thing I believe the LON folks learned was that papers like this don't accurately describe how BACnet bindings work. I too learned more about LON bindings than I had previously understood. (It was a good thread all around.)

It is my hope that in the future, dishonest papers like this are posted with an asterisk next to their link suggesting that they aren't entirely truthful. Otherwise we might have even more people who have to be retaught how BACnet works.

From what I can tell one difference is in the way they are spelled:

BACnet - B - A - C - n - e - t
    LONworks - L - O - N - w - o - r - k - s

kontrol out
    "Open is as open does." - Forrest Gump
    "Can't we all just get a Lon?" - Garry Jack
    "BACnet: integration or interrogation?" - The Janitor
    "Open protocols? You can't handle open protocols!" - Nathan R. Jessup
    “What’s that? Aaa… open protocols? Don’t talk about…. open protocols? Are you kidding me? Open protocols? I just hope we can hardwire an interface!” - Jim Mora http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7fjDS0jKiE

BACnet, I didn't realize i had to clear links i post through you.
    Please review my other posts and links and let me know if you agree.
    If any do not meet your aproval i will ask the mods to delete.

Easy on the Red Bulls.
    IV IV IX

I'm sorry viceman- I certainly didn't mean to imply that you realized that document was bull****.

I just wanted the op to realize that his question won't be answered by reading an out of date pack of lies commissioned by LON to spread lies about BACnet. And I posted a very specific quote that proved that the document was fiction.

Sorry if I angered you, that was not my intent when I exposed the truth about that link..

The link describes some basic info that a non software engineer might find helpful. The verbage you quoted may as well be written in chineses for most people.
    I am not part of some "vast lonworks conspiracy".
    I usually don't let internet posters get under my skin but that did.
    Last edited by Chris_Worthington; 03-06-2012 at 07:41 PM. Reason: Removed comment
    IV IV IX

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast