Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: a quiet Goodman

84, please be careful what you say, you may get yourself in trouble. You have only been on here for a year, I have been for close to 10 and have been reduced from a "member" to a "guest", I don't like it, but I deal with it because it is worth it to be able to see all of the funny pictures and stories on the WoS.

This forum is what it is, it used to be hosted on a private server somewhere in Canada and was fairly relaxed and laid back, but then it became too big to handle privately hence it needed corporate backing, and you don't bite the hand that feeds you, hence the mods have to protect the sponsors.

As far as Goodman goes many GMP furnace units have a cracked HX or popped rings, my aunt's included, but it isn't the machine's fault as i have a 50k BTU (2 burner) GMP that was used for many years and is now in storage since we tore down the house it was in and its HX is still just fine. My aunt's one (3 burner) died because she put a couch/sofa over the in-floor return air vent and suffocated it.

So IME it really is the installation not the brand that matters.
    In my neck of the woods to most people "Maintenance" equals cursing at and/or kicking something when it breaks down.

To get the degree symbol ° on Windows hold down the Alt key and type 0176 on the keyboard number pad. It is also available via the character map, and on Windows 8.1 devices with a touchscreen via the on screen keyboard.

If you are the type where the painting is more important than the frame, or you just like movies, join me in listening to the widescreen.org podcast.

I agree, bad installation, or Tech. Goodman gets such a bad name because they are smarter than all the other manufacturers and sell to the public. I also agree that their older stuff was JUNK. But currently, I think they are as good a value as anyone else, more so in a lot of cases. Who is going to match their Warranties, No one that's who. Who will provide a ten year labor warranty for a couple of benjamins? No one. Hopefully it's one that qualifies under lifetime replacement of the compressor. Lastly, I do not agree with them selling to the general public as a hvac technician, but honestly how many techs wouldn't buy something from a cheaper supplier if they had the option, Smart Company!

Quote Originally Posted by danielthechskid View Post
    84, please be careful what you say, you may get yourself in trouble. You have only been on here for a year, I have been for close to 10 and have been reduced from a "member" to a "guest", I don't like it, but I deal with it because it is worth it to be able to see all of the funny pictures and stories on the WoS.

This forum is what it is, it used to be hosted on a private server somewhere in Canada and was fairly relaxed and laid back, but then it became too big to handle privately hence it needed corporate backing, and you don't bite the hand that feeds you, hence the mods have to protect the sponsors.

As far as Goodman goes many GMP furnace units have a cracked HX or popped rings, my aunt's included, but it isn't the machine's fault as i have a 50k BTU (2 burner) GMP that was used for many years and is now in storage since we tore down the house it was in and its HX is still just fine. My aunt's one (3 burner) died because she put a couch/sofa over the in-floor return air vent and suffocated it.

So IME it really is the installation not the brand that matters.
    I know, I was in a mood yesterday when I wrote that, just kinda ticked off about it, I've never had a post deleted before, and I forgot about their brand bashing policy.

I agree, I shouldn't have said what I said in that last post, and will be more careful from now on. Thanks for correcting me.

Quote Originally Posted by danielthechskid View Post
    The heat exchangers in GMP furnaces were flat out junk. Not brand bashing, just the truth about that model. Forgetting to change your air filter once shouldn't cost you a failed heat exchanger...
    If this statement is deemed to be "bashing", I guess I'll go back into the self imposed exile I've been in for a couple of years...

Having said that, Goodman has vastly improved over the last 15 years or so, and their equipment doesn't suck any worse than any other manufacturers equipment in the same price range.

Within a given price range, all brands pretty much suck evenly!
    Goodman isn't even remotely in the neighborhood of being the "cheap" equipment anymore.

As for the OP, the noise that Copeland Scroll compressor is making is due to being subjected to conditions that had absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with the brand of equipment it was installed in.
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

Well i certainly know that the GMP isn't great, but FWIW the only problem we had with ours was every few weeks it would go into lockout because the port on the inducer for the pressure switch would get plugged, when this happened I just pulled off the hose and cleaned the port with a toothpick then cycled the power to it and it was back in business.
    In my neck of the woods to most people "Maintenance" equals cursing at and/or kicking something when it breaks down.

To get the degree symbol ° on Windows hold down the Alt key and type 0176 on the keyboard number pad. It is also available via the character map, and on Windows 8.1 devices with a touchscreen via the on screen keyboard.

If you are the type where the painting is more important than the frame, or you just like movies, join me in listening to the widescreen.org podcast.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123