+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Franklin Woodburner...

Post Likes

Franklin Woodburner...

I have an opportunity to get a used Franklin cheap.

I just bought a house that has a 6" thimble coming into my basement. Chimney is terra cotta type.

Anything I should know about these wood stoves? Is it a safe product? Will 6" chimney thimble work?

Thanks! Gunney
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes

Cool

It would be treated as an unlisted stove per NFPA 211 and that's where you would look to your clearances to combustibles. Generally, Franklin stoves are really just metal fireplaces and lousy heat sources. They typically use an 8" stovepipe and flue. The chimney must be inspected for suitability.

I highly recommend you relegate these things to sitting in the yard full of flowers or take it to the scrap yard. They pollute the environment and offer poor heating.

No, nothing, especially something that brings fire into a home is 'safe', whatever that word means.

Wait until you can afford a modern listed EPA Phase II stove and listed liner.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by hearthman View Post
    It would be treated as an unlisted stove per NFPA 211 and that's where you would look to your clearances to combustibles. Generally, Franklin stoves are really just metal fireplaces and lousy heat sources. They typically use an 8" stovepipe and flue. The chimney must be inspected for suitability.

I highly recommend you relegate these things to sitting in the yard full of flowers or take it to the scrap yard. They pollute the environment and offer poor heating.

No, nothing, especially something that brings fire into a home is 'safe', whatever that word means.

Wait until you can afford a modern listed EPA Phase II stove and listed liner.
    Thanks for the reply!
    How tall are you Private???!!!!

Post Likes
    Gunny, I can't add much to the spot on advise hearthman gave you other than to reflect on having installed many of the Franklin style fireplaces back in the "good old days" when there was a large demand for them.

Which really isn't an accurate reflection on account of modern solid fuel heating appliances and chimney / lining products being exceptionally more fuel efficient, cleaner and in my humble opinion "safe" as humanly possible.

But, please do look into a modern stove and liner installation. You'll consume a fraction of the cord wood needed to fuel that old Franklin, and receive a generous amount of heat and comfort in return for your investment.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in