Trane Synthetic Oil Type K

Hello Chiller techs - does anyone know what type of oil is Trane Type K - it is very expensive from Trane and if i knew who makes it for Trane ( Shell, Mobil etc ?) i could find a supplier and buy from them.Trane does not make oil so, we should be able to find the type and purchase from an oil supplier.
    Thanks
    Dave

I'm not aware of a Type K oil from Trane. Do you mean oil for a Model K compressor? Is that really where you want to lower your operating expenses? By using other than the OEM's recommended oil? Trane claims that oil straight from an oil supplier (even the one they use) may not meet their (claimed) higher quality levels. They say their supplier refines the oil for Trane separately from that they supply for others.

Quote Originally Posted by David Elsie View Post
    Hello Chiller techs - does anyone know what type of oil is Trane Type K - it is very expensive from Trane and if i knew who makes it for Trane ( Shell, Mobil etc ?) i could find a supplier and buy from them.Trane does not make oil so, we should be able to find the type and purchase from an oil supplier.
    Thanks
    Dave
    then watch compressor go BOOM!

just bite the bullet and buy from the OEM. if you do everything right, you should only have to buy it once. if you do things wrong, then you can buy it and buy it and buy it over and over again.

the oil has certain additives to inhibit some of the nastiness that can happen with regular oil. it is all about material compatibility. without those additives, gaskets can break down, o-rings can swell or harden and crack or generally screw up your system.

if you are looking for K oil, try your local York distributor. Trane doesn't have any oil called K oil...York does.
    "If you pull one more stunt like you just pulled with Tommy, you won't have to get on a plane because I will personally kick your ass from here to Korea!" - Best of the Best

There is no alternative oil for any Trane chiller. The use of any oils other than the OEM oil from Trane for that specific chiller will void the warranty. Trane oils have certain additives in them and are manufactured to Trane specs.