Thread: Furnace causing power outage

Post Likes

Confused Furnace causing power outage

I have an old trailer home (70's) with an electric furnace (Lennox I think) on a property I only visit occasionally. I turned the power on at the breaker box last weekend and nothing happened. As I was trying to figure out what was wrong the power started cycling on and off about every 15 seconds. When I turned the breaker off for the furnace the cycling on and off would stop. I also noticed when the power was going on and off it only affected some of the other breakers. Not all of them. Some of them would stay on. How is this possible? Is there something going on in the furnace that would cause this to happen. I turned the thermostat up and tried to get the furnace to kick on but it wouldn't. Every time the power would go on or off something would click in the furnace. If anyone has seen this before let me know.

Post Likes

You need

to call a service tech right away. Since everything else seems to work until you try to run the furnace something in the furnace could be causing a major power draw, or it could be the breaker/circuit going to the furnace. Neverthe less, it needs to be looked at ASAP.
    GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY!

A DECADE OF DOMINANCE! +3

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by bubbahawk View Post
    I have an old trailer home (70's) with an electric furnace (Lennox I think) on a property I only visit occasionally. I turned the power on at the breaker box last weekend and nothing happened. As I was trying to figure out what was wrong the power started cycling on and off about every 15 seconds. When I turned the breaker off for the furnace the cycling on and off would stop. I also noticed when the power was going on and off it only affected some of the other breakers. Not all of them. Some of them would stay on. How is this possible? Is there something going on in the furnace that would cause this to happen. I turned the thermostat up and tried to get the furnace to kick on but it wouldn't. Every time the power would go on or off something would click in the furnace. If anyone has seen this before let me know.
    Have some one check the system for a short such as a squirrel, field mice, snake etc.

Post Likes
    I'd guess you've lost the neutral between the house and the pole. Strange things will happen when the electric heaters kick in. When there's no neutral, all the 120V loads will shift and you'll see excessively high an low voltages and can do a lot of damage to sensitive equipment. Call an electrician to check out the electrical in your home. In the mean time, turn off the main circuit breaker before something of value is ruined.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!

Post Likes
    Might be a main breaker that only one leg is tripped.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in