Thread: sub cooling

sub cooling

Dear All,

i am new to this forum and i have several question in my mind and hope to discuss with all of you.

1. for a water cooled centrifugual chiller, as the refrigerant liquid level inside condenser is controlled by the orifice linking to the evaporator, i would like to know how the degree of sub cooling influence the degree of opening of the orifice ?

thanks a lot

So your just talking about a specific manufacture and what's your other questions.

We have to know what brant of chiller you are talking about. One uses level sensors and others use floats.

Hi,

mine one is a YORK water cooled centrifugal chiller. Just wanna to know how was the control logic of the variable flow orifice between the condenser and the evaporator.

thanks

Hello ykleung,

The york chiller i was just on has a liquid level sensor in the condenser as you mentioned. There is a liquid level setpoint that controls that position of the valve to maintain the liquid level in the condenser. The chiller i was just on had a setpoint of 50%. Do you have the optiview panel? If so go under the condenser menu then refrigerant level control and you will see the setpoint.

thanks mate

let me have a look on the panel tomorrow.

Your level sensor assist/assures that you have sub cooling. I believe it's main purpose is to maximize/ or maintain maximum efficiency no matter what your load size/ or conditions are. And is adjustable

The adjustability of the level in your condenser allows your chiller to be set up for optimum performance w/your bldg set up and design, flows, etc. ** note: be careful not to lower level too far or you will lose eff. By losing liquid seal between heat exchangers and there for create a false load.

thanks mate

Just have a look on the chiller panel, the setting of the refrigerant liquid level at condenser is currently set at 20%. i really want to know how to judge what is the optimum level of refrigerant liquid (30%?40%?50%?)in order to have "enough sub cooling", my YORK rep. tell me that as long as the liquid refrigerant can be viewed through the sight glass at the condenser. it means that there is enough sub cooling.

Also, i would like to also know that is it true that if sub cooling cant perform well. does it also affect superheating ?

thanks !!

At this point, your best bet is to get with your local York rep. and let him walk you thru everything to help you understand the operation of your centrifugal chiller and he would be the one to set the chiller up for your plant design and needs. There is alot of variables to take into effect when doing your set up. Along with a lot of responsibility. You are putting a lot of emphasis on subcooling, and now superheat. Becareful.......

I agree, if you adjust in the wrong direction you can carry over liquid to the impeller. Let York handle this.