Hybrid View

life of my chillers

does anyone out there have a good est. of the average life of carrier screw compressors. i work with several which run 24/7 due to heat load. these units are not human comfort situation. thanks bob

Talking

30 seconds to 20 years
    no signature blast'em man blast'em
    !!!KILL THE TERRORIST!!!

Starts are the killers of chillers companies like Trane design them for years of average cycling 30 yrs rumor had it.24/7 there is the best for them with a good maint program especially on the condenser tubes/tower cleanings,oil samples and or oil change outs..megger readings and log the readings as the years go by
    "when in doubt...jump it out" http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U1qEZHhJubY

23XL or 23XRV?

unit model

chillers are 30hxc126ra-600aa,compressors are 06nw2174s7na
    i was lucky enough recently to get new cooling towers,not installed yet . these chillers started out 11 years with undersized towers.they have run hot enough to discolor their paint.

Quote Originally Posted by socorrobob View Post
    chillers are 30hxc126ra-600aa,compressors are 06nw2174s7na
    i was lucky enough recently to get new cooling towers,not installed yet . these chillers started out 11 years with undersized towers.they have run hot enough to discolor their paint.
    11 years of 175-200 degree temps I'm sure paint would discolor . I see nothing wrong with it.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

I started up a 23XL back in 1996 and it's still running.

I started up a 23XL in 1997 and it was replaced last year. with 88,000 hours and a zillion starts.

A 30HX probably wont last that long.

Quote Originally Posted by TheChillerMan View Post
    I started up a 23XL back in 1996 and it's still running.

I started up a 23XL in 1997 and it was replaced last year. with 88,000 hours and a zillion starts.

A 30HX probably wont last that long.
    His chiLler is pretty close to the age of those 23XL's.
    UA 100

It takes three people to do anything around here. Two do the work, one explains to the crowd of people who showed up when they seen smoke and flames.

Thanks for information you guys have given. i started maintaining these units 01 of 2011,with very poor maintainance records. i have made progress,but not really happy yet.

The 06N compressor on that chiller is a tank. In the last twelve years I have changed out only one and it had a 128,000 hours on it. I have heard of some that are still running with over 150,000 hours. I service a lot of those chillers plus the water cooled version the 30HXC, and I just don't have any trouble with that compressor. The high condenser temps would not cause that compressor to run any hotter than normal. The compressor is refrigerant cooled, and the normal motor temp is 200 degrees F. They always run hot. Make sure you change the internal oil filters if you start seeing an increase in diffential pressure.

I thought someone would jump all over me about those over inflated numbers I posted. The correct hours for the compressor I replaced is 98000 hrs. on a process chiller that ran all the time. The other number sould be around 100000 hrs. so I've been told. But the rest of the information is correct. The 06N is a great compressor.

Quote Originally Posted by chilbrig View Post
    I thought someone would jump all over me about those over inflated numbers I posted. The correct hours for the compressor I replaced is 98000 hrs. on a process chiller that ran all the time. The other number sould be around 100000 hrs. so I've been told. But the rest of the information is correct. The 06N is a great compressor.
    Oh I believe you!!!!!!! We used to take care of (2) that were from 1996. They had a failure due to a busted tube on one circuit but the other 3 are still running.
    UA 100

thanks chilbrig for the hard numbers,thats what i needed. bob