Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Dick Wirz's book is very well done, and with a down to earth flavor which reflects the experience of a real-life field service technician. I truly do appreciate his writing style as it's a good read that doesn't get bogged down in a bunch of techno-babel and but I also see instances such as the receiver/subcooler statement quoted above which appear to be nothing but a personal observation or assumption with no apparent basis in fact.

So please don't start believing that subcooling is gained in a receiver...or we may have to start a whole new thread on the subject

Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    Thats a good read! I'm also a little puzzled about it, Dick talks about sizing the condenser to match the evaporator load without taking into consideration the heat of compression, I also dont get why an increase in condenser capacity would also increase the temperature differential in the evaporator.
    In both the above statements, he's probably talking about the condensing unit, not the condenser coil.

so if you have a 4000 BTU evap and connect a 4000 BTU condensing unit, it will include a 5000 BTU condensing coil or whatever is needed to deal with the total heat. If you increase the BTU rating of the condensing unit without touching the evap, the evaporator will run colder.

Quote Originally Posted by craig1 View Post
    In both the above statements, he's probably talking about the condensing unit, not the condenser coil.

so if you have a 4000 BTU evap and connect a 4000 BTU condensing unit, it will include a 5000 BTU condensing coil or whatever is needed to deal with the total heat. If you increase the BTU rating of the condensing unit without touching the evap, the evaporator will run colder.
    Craig,

Could you explain why a bigger condenser will increase the evaporator TD?
    thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    Craig,

Could you explain why a bigger condenser will increase the evaporator TD?
    thanks.
    A larger condenser by itself, won't.

A larger condensing UNIT, will.

The reasoning should be fairly simple. Larger condensing unit, larger compressor, more pumping capacity.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12