Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 17

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,064

    Receiver/subcooler

    I was doing some reading and came across this, Never heard of this, but I guess it makes sense.

    "If you cannot measure any subcooling at the
    condenser outlet, but you are fairly certain the unit
    has enough refrigerant, then check the temperature
    of the liquid line leaving the receiver. Some manufacturers
    (Heatcraft for one) use the condensing unit
    receiver as the subcooler rather than adding tubing to
    the condenser coil."

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,064
    and before everyone rushes to point out that subcooling is not an important measurement when dealing with a receiver...

    I know, and that's not the topic.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,386

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,064
    But back into the condenser right?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Western PA
    Posts
    25,386
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss
    But back into the condenser right?
    Basically.


    The condenser empties into the receiver, then the liquid leaves the condenser, goes through a small coil and out to the equipment.

    Hard to see a whole lot of heat transfer from a vessel like a receiver.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,064
    yeah I've seen that.

    but they are talking about using the receiver as a subcooler..in particular, Heat Craft condensing units.

    Now condensing units usually have the receiver in the direct air stream off of the condenser.

    If they were using the receiver as a subcooler, wouldn't it make more sense to place the receiver in the condensers air intake?

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,064
    And I've never seen a receiver placed outside the condensing unit in the condensers air intake.

    However I have seen plenty of larger remote air cooled condensers with the receivers located under them in the intake air. Never thought about why.

    maybe this is why

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    257
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    yeah I've seen that.

    but they are talking about using the receiver as a subcooler..in particular, Heat Craft condensing units.

    Now condensing units usually have the receiver in the direct air stream off of the condenser.

    If they were using the receiver as a subcooler, wouldn't it make more sense to place the receiver in the condensers air intake?
    All of my receivers are heat traced and insulated, the machines fail in the winter here if the heater breaks due to loss of pressure after a defrost. I might add that the roof can get down to -10f for a couple months. We would only be able to subcool after the receiver here.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Guayaquil EC
    Posts
    10,259
    Quote Originally Posted by Phase Loss View Post
    I was doing some reading and came across this, Never heard of this, but I guess it makes sense.

    "If you cannot measure any subcooling at the
    condenser outlet, but you are fairly certain the unit
    has enough refrigerant, then check the temperature
    of the liquid line leaving the receiver. Some manufacturers
    (Heatcraft for one) use the condensing unit
    receiver as the subcooler rather than adding tubing to
    the condenser coil."
    I'm curious as to who wrote this and where he got that statement about Heatcraft using the receiver for subcooling.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    California
    Posts
    2,064
    Dick Wirz Commercial Refrigeration.

    I'll PM ya.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    up in the hizzy
    Posts
    1,375
    Thats a good read! I'm also a little puzzled about it, Dick talks about sizing the condenser to match the evaporator load without taking into consideration the heat of compression, I also dont get why an increase in condenser capacity would also increase the temperature differential in the evaporator.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    Location
    Guayaquil EC
    Posts
    10,259
    Dick Wirz's book is very well done, and with a down to earth flavor which reflects the experience of a real-life field service technician. I truly do appreciate his writing style as it's a good read that doesn't get bogged down in a bunch of techno-babel and but I also see instances such as the receiver/subcooler statement quoted above which appear to be nothing but a personal observation or assumption with no apparent basis in fact.

    So please don't start believing that subcooling is gained in a receiver...or we may have to start a whole new thread on the subject


  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    Chicago, IL
    Posts
    4,322
    Quote Originally Posted by valdelocc View Post
    Thats a good read! I'm also a little puzzled about it, Dick talks about sizing the condenser to match the evaporator load without taking into consideration the heat of compression, I also dont get why an increase in condenser capacity would also increase the temperature differential in the evaporator.
    In both the above statements, he's probably talking about the condensing unit, not the condenser coil.

    so if you have a 4000 BTU evap and connect a 4000 BTU condensing unit, it will include a 5000 BTU condensing coil or whatever is needed to deal with the total heat. If you increase the BTU rating of the condensing unit without touching the evap, the evaporator will run colder.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event