Copland terminal board

I have a small commercial refrigeration repair business in Atlanta. When I say small I mean, small maybe a call a week. I own 2 restaurants and took a refrigeration course about 5 years ago and loved it. They are in a small town outside Atlanta and I know a lot of owners and mostly just do their work. One of them called me to look at his ice machine, a 400lb old Manitowoc. Some years ago his service man relocated his condenser assembly in the basement for heat purposes. Unfortunately he located it right next to the grease trap. Never a problem till now. The trap clogged and overflowed on to the compressor about 3 weeks ago. He cleaned it up and went on his way. Everything still worked. Never knew any of this till he called me Friday Night to look at it. When I opened up the terminal box half the wires were melted and there was a hole in the terminal board. Compressor was fine and so were the capacitors. I cleaned everything up and replace the wires. I am assuming the grease caused the mess but I want to get him up and running. I never dealt with burning wires before let alone a hole on the terminal board. Heres the question:
    Is the terminal board necessary to run the equipment. Can I run the wires together with wire nuts.
    Thanks
    Nick

the terminal board is just that, a terminal board.

some of them have additional terminals so you can land addition wires.

most of them have stamped or printed letters or numbers to assist in wiring the components per the compressors wiring diagram.

But if you're a genuine bada$$ reefer guy, you don't need all that jazz

It's not a necessity to the compressors operation.

Thanks

thanks Phase Loss for your quick and helpful response
    Nick

That had to be one ugly mess!
    I r the king of the world!...or at least I get to stand on the roof and look down on the rest of yall

If this is a semihermetic you can replace terminal board and the terminal plate!
    ckartson
    I didn't write the book I just read it!

Mess

It was a big mess. Its running now thanks to this forum. I use shrink wrap wire nuts and nylon strap to keep the wires from moving, cleaned up the inside of the box and back in business. The worst part of this was grease on my tools every time I handled something. I'm trying to talk him into about moving it. Even 2 feet would help, but you know these restaurant owners. LOL

Thanks Again!
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by lafam1 View Post
    The worst part of this was grease on my tools every time I handled something. :
    K.O. Blaster.. that stuff will take the white off of rice. I use it on all my oil jobs.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Here's a pic of a fairly common Copeland terminal board from an R-Series Copelaweld:

Name:  P3060013.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  48.0 KB

I try to save these when doing replacements. They tend to come in rather handy.

Wink Yep

Thats the one. They want $65. for a new one. The bottom left were gone, just a hole. Next time I'm going to take a pic. I also going to try to get back to take a pic and show the setup. Its like it was done on purpose LOL
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by lafam1 View Post
    Thats the one. They want $65. for a new one. The bottom left were gone, just a hole. Next time I'm going to take a pic. I also going to try to get back to take a pic and show the setup. Its like it was done on purpose LOL
    Nick
    As I recall, I found two these burned in the past year. I've never priced out the replacement part, so now I know not to bother. Thanks.

The truth of the matter is, when something like this fails it would be a miracle if your local supply house were to have one on the shelf, so you have to wirenut the compressor back to life anyway...unless you're a packrat like me.