Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Disturbing new trend with applications

Disturbing new trend with applications

1) I have an expunged misdemeanor on my "criminal record"
    2) I always scored very high on HVAC tests
    3) I usually interview very well when i apply for jobs.

there was 2 companies i applied for which i never heard a word from and i realized the disturbing new trend going on with job applications.
    they place on their application "please be honest with your criminal background" , "everyone makes mistakes" , "we do not automatically disqualify you" ...ect.
    don't fall for this.
    These companies are just trying to save money by not having to do a background check, they're NOT going to hire you.
    They tell applicants the best thing is to be honest, but then they go and rip-off a bunch of home owners for HVAC equipment.

My rule is , unless you have been personally referred to someone for a job, never put criminal history on the app unless it's a government related form where you MUST be honest.

(I'M NOT ADVISING YOU WHAT TO DO, JUST BE AWARE OF THIS LIE AND MAKE YOUR DECISIONS)

some of you may still be in areas where "criminal records" aren't that big of deal, but in areas like Los Angeles, ANYTHING found on your background is a "fail".
    People have this vision that an employer is going to over-look a minor offense, but it doesn't work that way anymore.

if employers are going to deny your employment for a chicken-sht offense, then they need to pay the money to do it.

unfortunately, this Big Brother crap , ...and their little files, are going to get worse and worse until the country falls into total slavery or people suddenly wise up and start electing guys like Ron Paul, who are willing to follow rules.

by anyways, like i always suggest when talking about criminal history, if you're having these kinds of problems , the CDL truck driving jobs are way more reasonable. I'm my area they pay a lot better than HVAC.
    (and if you think driving a truck is a crap job, you should see the HVAC jobs i've had in the last 5 years)

If your record has been expunged why in the hell were you listing anything under 'criminal history' on a application?
    UA LU189

10mm, because it's better than .45acp

Quote Originally Posted by zw17 View Post
    If your record has been expunged why in the hell were you listing anything under 'criminal history' on a application?
    Exactly. Once expunged, it no longer is a criminal offense.

there is nothing new about it, the criminal record disclosure has been part of jobs applications since forever.
    all big outfits hire third party to have prospects screened, having a misdemeanor, felony or in some cases bad credit records pretty much make you ineligible for the job or puts you at disadvantage with other applicants.
    I know guys convicted of DWI that passed the background check and got the job, now if you were convicted for drugs,robbery, assault or any other serious crime than dont bother to apply with any mayor outfit.

sucks but i look at kids today, or when i was in High School, a kid makes a dumb mistake and it will screw them over the rest of his/her life.

case in point a my first job slinging pizzas at pizza hut i became good friends with a guy who has a house arrest ankle moniter thingy on. Said some friends of his set fire to a hotel (still under construction) and he basically just drove them there and away.

they got caught and all rolled on him, he got 5 years in federal penn. was a smart guy hard worker, now the best jobs hes had is waiter or roofer.

now the best jobs hes had is waiter or roofer.
    Hmmmm. Appears the LEGAL system isn't working real well, would you all sermise?

Someone does something bad, or even just plain stupid. They do the time and get a record. After time is served, we as a society EXPECT them to have learned a lesson and return to society and be productive people.

Then when they go to get a job, everyone turns them down because of a "record". IF they are lucky enough to get a job, generally they are treated like dirt and extremely disposable. The can't make a decent living, for the most part, trying to be a productive member of society. Society doesn't even give them a shake at it anyway.

THEN we sit around and bi*** about how these damn criminals keep commiting crimes, or that crime rates are so high........ Well gee Einstein, I wonder why......

If a guy tries his best to be productive and do so on the right side of the law, seems society only cares about continually kicking them over a stupid mistake.

its a catch 22.. a kid grows up in the ghetto, no parents really. so he pisses away his life, if he graduates at all, he better be good a fast food if hes gonna make anything of himself. If he has a record, he can forget any decent job.

So he sees he was making more money either robbing or being on welfare so why should he work. before he has realized it hes in his 40's with no skills to do anything but what hes done his whole life, and his entire life has been wasted.

Then when they go to get a job, everyone turns them down because of a "record". IF they are lucky enough to get a job, generally they are treated like dirt and extremely disposable. The can't make a decent living, for the most part, trying to be a productive member of society. Society doesn't even give them a shake at it anyway.

THEN we sit around and bi*** about how these damn criminals keep commiting crimes, or that crime rates are so high........ Well gee Einstein, I wonder why......

i'm glad that SOMEBODY in the world is realizing what is happening, other than me.
    this system is being perverted by the government

Exactly. Once expunged, it no longer is a criminal offense.
    the government allows ARREST RECORDS to be released in background checks through the use of the NCIC database .
    once you plead guilty and take the plea bargain , ...which nearly everyone does, ...you're toast, it doesn't matter what happens after that.
    employers see the arrest record and ASSUME what they think happened.

i was arrested with a knife when i was 18 which started as a felony.
    (carrying weapons , by-the-way, is protected by the 2nd Amendment)
    the judge didn't think it was a big deal, they said "plead guilty, will drop it to a misdemeanor, and give you 5 days community service"
    i did so, and that's what happened.
    later i had my case expunged.
    i obtained an armed permit for security and i wroked at an ATM company for a number of years.
    later, i moved to Las Vegas. i was denied an armed permit from the state for being a "felon", which i am not.
    i was employed at an HVAC company in Las Vegas, about 8 months in they decided to run a background check, i heard other employees make comments like "how was prison?" ...i have never been to prison.

Nevada said "no problem, just have California seal you record"
    the only problem is, California does not seal any record of anyone 18 or older.

how did this happen?
    the F-ing piece of crap govrenment is releasing arrest records through the NCIC database to background checkers and giving them to employers.
    once you plead guilty to anything , you're done.
    anything the judge says or does is now irrelevant.
    also , every little crime is now a felony.

i have documentation showing my case was "overturned" , "set aside", "expunged". .....nobody cares.

employers just get a little thrill for finding something.
    that's why criminal information used to be carefully guarded, because they knew people didn't have the maturity to have information.

believe it or not, a few months ago, the Congress tried to make a law that said , if you're arrested by the police, ...THAT goes on your record, regardless if they acheive a conviction.
    it didn't go through.
    will it go through next year?

the government is WRONG.
    anyone who agrees with the corrupt government is WRONG.
    this Big Brother policy is CREATING crime, not preventing it.

its so messed up, situtions like that should be case by case, but it dont work like that, why i think with the ease of doing a background check or credit check bosses have become lazy and would rather look at a report instead of talking to the guy and getting a gut feeling.

even if your record says innocent the boss will look at it like you did something wrong for putting yourself in that situation. more and more bull is going wrong, more and more id wanna live outside of the usa but my parents are here and im not leaving for now.

NCIC is used for criminal record checks, nothing on NCIC is entered about arrests, only convictions, warrants, and wanted persons.

If your record is showing up on NCIC then your record is not expunged. An expunged or sealed record is ONLY accessible to a judge and can not be held against you for any reason, and that includes pistol permits, work, or any other facet of life.

I would contact a lawyer about why this is still haunting you. It's complete BS that someone is still able to pull your record.
    UA LU189

Quote Originally Posted by wolfstrike View Post
    i'm glad that SOMEBODY in the world is realizing what is happening, other than me.
    this system is being perverted by the government

the government allows ARREST RECORDS to be released in background checks through the use of the NCIC database .
    once you plead guilty and take the plea bargain , ...which nearly everyone does, ...you're toast, it doesn't matter what happens after that.
    employers see the arrest record and ASSUME what they think happened.

i was arrested with a knife when i was 18 which started as a felony.
    (carrying weapons , by-the-way, is protected by the 2nd Amendment)
    the judge didn't think it was a big deal, they said "plead guilty, will drop it to a misdemeanor, and give you 5 days community service"
    i did so, and that's what happened.
    later i had my case expunged.
    i obtained an armed permit for security and i wroked at an ATM company for a number of years.
    later, i moved to Las Vegas. i was denied an armed permit from the state for being a "felon", which i am not.
    i was employed at an HVAC company in Las Vegas, about 8 months in they decided to run a background check, i heard other employees make comments like "how was prison?" ...i have never been to prison.

Nevada said "no problem, just have California seal you record"
    the only problem is, California does not seal any record of anyone 18 or older.

how did this happen?
    the F-ing piece of crap govrenment is releasing arrest records through the NCIC database to background checkers and giving them to employers.
    once you plead guilty to anything , you're done.
    anything the judge says or does is now irrelevant.
    also , every little crime is now a felony.

i have documentation showing my case was "overturned" , "set aside", "expunged". .....nobody cares.

employers just get a little thrill for finding something.
    that's why criminal information used to be carefully guarded, because they knew people didn't have the maturity to have information.

believe it or not, a few months ago, the Congress tried to make a law that said , if you're arrested by the police, ...THAT goes on your record, regardless if they acheive a conviction.
    it didn't go through.
    will it go through next year?

the government is WRONG.
    anyone who agrees with the corrupt government is WRONG.
    this Big Brother policy is CREATING crime, not preventing it.
    anytime you get arrested it is a permenent record whether guilty or not.

Quote Originally Posted by coilcleaner View Post
    anytime you get arrested it is a permenent record whether guilty or not.
    Not true. Once properly expunged any and all records are sealed, including any arrests records.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expungement
    UA LU189

I have worked with ex cons, murders, and everything else in hvac. All were legally hired and didn't hide the fact. It really comes down to whom is calling the shots. If someone who has a bad history and is very sincere about it and is reformed, will find somewhere to fit in by the Grace of GOD>.
    the guy who has lost everything because of stupid mistakes will be the best worker you can have once given the golden opportunity.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast