self charge control board

I went to class on communicating heat pumps from trane and they try to sell me a self charge tool to plug in to the control board for 100.00 and i so I made my own myself with a solenoid valve and two spade,s and two taps same thing they are selling in a fancy black box,,

The infamous "Charge assist" crap. Pump to the ID, recover, weld in a REAL suction port, and charge by SH/SC. They made the ChargeAssist to be a hookup, run, unhook. Amb temps have to be... above 70 If I recall correctly, and we've sent back all CA boards. I'd suggest NOT posting any diags

just hook up your guages to the suction port push the button and and add refrigerant untill the led changes to charged then turn off the guage i always monitor the superheat and subcooling also ,as for the charge assist the boss *****ed to the tm untill he gave us 2 of them at no charge

Quote Originally Posted by catmanacman View Post
    just hook up your guages to the suction port push the button and and add refrigerant untill the led changes to charged then turn off the guage i always monitor the superheat and subcooling also ,as for the charge assist the boss *****ed to the tm untill he gave us 2 of them at no charge
    Yes you can do that . If your not paying attion you can over shoot it . But any way I like hooking it up and go and do other things and that saves me time.

Quote Originally Posted by LsT-Heating View Post
    The infamous "Charge assist" crap. Pump to the ID, recover, weld in a REAL suction port, and charge by SH/SC. They made the ChargeAssist to be a hookup, run, unhook. Amb temps have to be... above 70 If I recall correctly, and we've sent back all CA boards. I'd suggest NOT posting any diags

Yes if its AC. I believe heat pumps can be cbarged in heat . I will get the ansewr soon I have not worked on alot of theese systems yet. I went to class I think they said any temp ill chech

Quote Originally Posted by pressordrop1 View Post
    Yes you can do that . If your not paying attion you can over shoot it . But any way I like hooking it up and go and do other things and that saves me time.
    you should still monitor the charge with your thermometer to verify the thermistors and eev are working properly

I've done several of these, and you cannot charge in heat with the charge assist. Only in AC mode with ODA above 70 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by JPJ13 View Post
    I've done several of these, and you cannot charge in heat with the charge assist. Only in AC mode with ODA above 70 degrees.
    Thanks i forgot about that, then the self charge is not all that great, most of the trouble we run into is low ambi charging, its a shame they don't come up with some thing that works below 70 F , the tool they are selling is just a solenoid valve .

on the XL20i you can use charge assist if ID temp is in the 70* range and outdoor temp is 55* and above.

also these charge assist boards have pretty accurate transducers and thermistors. they are most likely way more accurate then your normal gauges.