Post Likes

Confused Please help connecting and configuring Facility Explorer FX20 to Windows 8 Laptop.

I am actually a computer tech trying to help and electrician that is trying to connect a Facility Explorer FX20 to a new Windows 8 laptop. Everything works well with any Windows XP laptop that we try. I installed Java on the new laptop, configure TCP/IP settings as the working Windows XP. And put the IP address in the home page of Internet Explorer. When opening IE, it goes to the site, he logs in, and it just hangs with message either Loading Module, or Initializing. Never connects. Does not go to booting. Please provide any assistance for support. I know it has to be some setting that I'm unaware of. This is new to me as I'm a computer technician and have never installed this before. Thanks.

Post Likes
    Does a different browser work? And could it be something to do with ipv6 being a default compared to 4 in xp? (I'm not a it tech so apologies if this is nuts)
    The DDC system... guilty until proven innocent

Post Likes
    Thanks for your response. I haven't tried a different browser so I will give that a try. I assumed that since they were using IE that it had to be IE. I will also see if there's something I can do to change the default protocol to 4. That's 2 things I can try. I'll report back when I schedule with my client so others will know if they encounter the same issue. Your comment is most appreciated.

Post Likes
    The FX20 needs to be updated with the latest Java patch files in which you will need access to the Facility Explorer tool and access to a JCI vendor to get the update files.

As a work around, you can try this.........

I'm assuming your installing the latest and greatest Java currently out (java 7u45 for example). I'm also assuming that the FX20 is a bit old??? If so, uninstall Java completely, then search "older java versions" on google and find something like java 6u45. Install it and you should be good to go.

Java is always putting out new releases and the FX devices rely on it. Sometimes a release doesn't work well with the devices.

Hope this helps...

Post Likes
    You are correct, I am using the latest Java. And yes again, it is a bit old. I think with these two comments I received it may be worth it to schedule again with my client. Thank You very much for your comment and I will update you as well to let you know what worked. I personally think you're on the money with the Java, but I still appreciate all comments cause I'm desperate and did not have the experience / time / patience to learn what the issue could be with this device. I'm very thankful that I found this site. And for everyone's input.

Post Likes
    Ditto on the Java problem. If you can keep the Java old and out of date that is the simplest solution (maybe not the best solution). If you can not keep the old Java, the FX20 will need an update. The FX20 has limited memory so the update may be difficult to install. JCI has procedures to do it. Your vendor should be able to help.

In more than 8 years of using the JCI FX product this is the first Java update that has caused a major problem. There have been some IE issues, but both Chrome and Firefox have been quite reliable.

Post Likes
    Sorry for the late response. I schedule and spent a couple of hours and still could not get it to work. I've tried the lower version of Java. I've tried IE, Firefox, and Chrome. I've disabled the IPV6 all together. On another board, someone responded saying FX will not work with Windows 8 so I am starting to believe them. Unless someone can tell me otherwise, I guess I will be giving up. Thanks for all the help though.

Post Likes
    Hello Atmiles,

I am currently running windows 8 64bit. I initially had the java issue as well. Every time I attempted to log in to a browser I had issues exactly like you describe.

I am not a extremely proficient at computer/application issues, and am fairly new to the Niagara world, but my suggestion would be the following... (FYI this works for me with Chrome but not Explorer)

- Uninstall Java
    - Install version 6u23 i586 (32bit)
    - You can find it on the Oracle website here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/ja...e-6u23-oth-JPR
    - I downloaded and installed the file named "jre-6u23-windows-i586.exe"
    - For some reason, the x64 version did not work for me
    - Restart your computer
    - Log in to the JACE. You may see a warning telling you that your JAVA is out of date. You should be able to select "run this time". If this works you can also change the Chrome shortcut to always allow you to run out of date plugins by modifying the "target" in properties to:

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Google\Chrome\Application\chrome.exe" --allow-outdated-plugins

I am not exactly sure yet why the other versions did not work, but I also tried several versions of 7, as well as a combination of 7 and 6u23. I hope to find the time to figure this out, but so far have had more important things on my to do list...

Hope this helps...

Post Likes
    Thank You, I will try this and report back to you here.

Post Likes
    You probably need to clear the various caches. I know where it is in Win 7, but I haven't played with Win 8 yet. I'll give you the steps for 7, hopefully you can translate to where things are in 8.

After installing the Java 6v23, you need to :

1. Clear your browser's cache.
    2. Delete everything in the following 2 folders:
    <user dir>\AppData\LocalLow\Sun\Java\Deployment\cache
    <user dir>\niagara\wbapplet ( I usually just delete the 'niagara directory from the <user dir>)
    3. Restart your browser.

Again, this is for Win7, but it should be analogous to Win8, even if they've changed where the files are kept.

hope this helps

Duncan

Post Likes
    Ok thanks for the help as well. I haven't been able to schedule yet but I will schedule another visit this coming week and respond here so others will know. Thank You Again, it's most appreciated.

Post Likes
    I am using java 7 ver 21 with windows 8 64 bit and it works fine. You need to disable the java auto update and use either mozilla or chrome with the allow outdated plugins switch as posted earlier. Mozilla seems to be the least trouble nagging you to update.

Post Likes
    Ok Everyone, I've finally scheduled with the client and we have success. I want to thank everyone for their contributions in assisting me. Would have never completed without you and this forum. The end result was as Maxtaf suggested and I'm guessing ControlYourMind, Billcontrols, and Benford360 as well as Bob_scheel all pointed me in the right direction with correcting Java issues. Maybe I've done something wrong with the other suggested versions of java but the one that Maxtaf suggested worked like a charm even with Internet Explorer. I hope this will help others who have the same problem as I have and maybe save them some time.

If I missed anyone I apologize but all your help is most appreciated. I was stressing over this cause I like to keep my customers happy and you all made it happen. Thanks this case is closed thanks to you.