Post Likes

Trane Voyager Controls with conventional T/stat Question

I need some help understanding what the Trane Voyager controls do when a conventional thermostat is used to control the unit.

I have looked up the Trane "black book" and read thru it. My understanding is that when the conventional t/stat is connected (R, G, Y1, Y2, W1, W2) the microcontrols on the unit are virtually bypassed. Is that correct?

If my understanding is correct, then the OA damper is open anytime there is a call for blower. It may close if the blower call is removed, but doesn't really matter if it is open or closed since the blower isn't running.

The dehumidify function (I verified the dehumidify FIOP is installed) is energized ONLY on a call for first stage cooling or no cooling call. Heating or second stage cooling end the dehumidify function. Is that correct?

Just for reference, I am the commissioning agent and the installer is telling me the unit will continue to be controlled by the microcontrols will continue to function (close OA damper during unoccupied, stage economizer, etc). My data loggers are telling me those functions are not happening and I think it is because of the conventional 2 stage thermostat control.

Any comments are appreciated.
    If "I have always done it this way" is a good reason to do it again, how many times do I have to do something wrong - before it becomes right?

Post Likes
    I found the Reliatel Control book. Page 46 and 47 seem to confirm what I was seeing / thinking about the conventional t/stat control.
    If "I have always done it this way" is a good reason to do it again, how many times do I have to do something wrong - before it becomes right?

Post Likes
    the trane voyager has a conventional thermostat interface board.thats what i used to install back in the day

Post Likes
    They changed control boards over the years. The older ones needed a CTI (Conventional Thermostat Interface) board. The newer Reliatel's can do both. So it depends on the unit and control package the unit was shipped with.

If you post the serial number, I can look it up and let you know what is needed to hookup a conventional thermostat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
    "The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"

Post Likes
    Model YHD150F3RLB0E0F Serial 143011092D And there are 4 more RTU of different sizes.

It is a newer RTRM board with the CTI built in. It has a conventional 2-stage programmable thermostat hooked up and cooling. However, I have found the OA damper never closes. The RTU never goes into "Unoccupied" mode. As a result, the building is loaded with moisture over night and especially early in the morning.

This was made worse by the service tech who decided that the RTU should be running as a single stage unit. He jumpered Y! to Y2 so that both stages ran on any call for cooling. That prevented the dehumidify mode from running unless there was no call for cooling. That jumper has been removed.

Post Likes
    It does not appear to matter if a conventional thermostat is used or a zone sensor. With conventional stat control, the unit should not need to know occupied/unoccupied as it will follow the stat inputs. There are field supplied occupied/unoccupied input on the RTRM, terminals J6-11 and J6-12. These are typically used for zone sensor control so the unit knows occupancy.

According to digit 14 of the shipped model number based on your serial number this unit this unit did not ship with economizer. If not installed, what is controlling the oa damper. If field added, was it hooked up correctly since the oa damper is not working. The damper should close when the fan is off and go to minimum when the fan is running and economizer cooling off.

Digit 14 — Fresh Air Selection
    0 = No Fresh Air
    D = Econ Dry Bulb w/ Barometric Relief
    F = Econ Reference Enthaply w/ Barometric Relief
    H = Econ Comparative Enthaply w/ Barometric Relief
    K = Low Leak Econ w/ Barometric Relief
    M = Low Leak Econ Reference Enthalpy w/ Barometric Relief
    P = Low Leak Econ Comparative Enthalpy w/ Barometric Relief

The unit did ship with dehumidification option (digit 22). Below is the sequence.

Dehumidification
    The dehumidification cycle is only permitted above 40 ΊF and is not permitted during a heating cycle or during a demand for 2nd stage cooling. Otherwise, when an installed zone humidity sensor indicates a relative humidity equal to or greater than the RH set point as adjusted on the ReliaTel Options Module (RTOM), a dehumidification cycle is initiated.

Notes:
    • Dehumidification takes priority over a call for onestage cooling.
    • Heating or 2 stage cooling takes priority over dehumidification, and a relative humidity sensor takes priority over a humidistat.
    Quote Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Jinn (Star Wars Episode 1)
    "The ablilty to speak does not make you intelligent!"

Post Likes
    Thanks for the info.

I just downloaded some data logs on three of the RTUs. The OA damper never closes. The blowers never turn off. On two of the units one compressor is running continuously and does not appear to provide any cooling. There are control issues but there are other issues as well.

Post Likes
    Have you run the units in the "Test Mode"? And if yes, how did the components respond when cycled through? The Reliatel board that replaced the UCP board will take either the DC stat/zone sensor module (left terminals) or a conventional t'stat (right terminals). Have you checked the "Minimum Position" outdoor air setting on the damper motor? Do you have "24vac" from "Common" to "G" on the right terminals of the Reliatel board?

Post Likes
    Someone needs to look into the Economizer control as Failure2Comply is getting at. I have worked on quite a few of these. The fan does not control the Economizer. If its opening every time the fan calls, your settings are wrong. Also If the fan is running all the time and you are using only a Conventional Tstat then there is no program set up in the stat..
    Gotta have the right tool for the job!

Where is all the stuff MADE IN THE USA?

"Thats what we do Troy. Incredible, Invisible, Imbelivable things. We are an Unseen, Unknown, Unvincible fraternity of craftsman.."

Post Likes
    What do you mean by outside air damper never closes? Is it full open like its economizing? Or is does it not fully close (minimum outdoor air)?

Post Likes
    How are you sending the unit Occ/unocc commands if you're using a conventional Tsat?

If you have an RTCI/LCI/BCI installed, the communicated value will take priority over anything wired locally. You'll either need to remove the comm card(s), or remove the stat.