Equipment profit margin and Installation costs

I am quoting on a VRF Inverter multi system with 9 cassettes for an office block. What is the consensus on equipment markup? I was looking at my buy price plus 20% Margin (price / 0.8) maybe?

I normally use a 30% margin on parts but given the cost of equipment this maybe is a tad rich. BTW what is a general rule for parts that cost $10 and parts that cost $2000 like a compressor? What sort of scale would be good.

With the installation I was looking at a set price of say $ per head unit to install? Some might be easy but others might be more of a challenge.

I am just after a rule of thumb to simplify quoting. Yes I could do an indepth individual analysis on the cost to install each head unit but does anybody really do this (have the time) when you play the win some lose some quoting game.

I would really appreciate the information.
    Last edited by beenthere; 03-02-2012 at 06:00 AM. Reason: price

Prices/pricing questions aren't allowed in the open forums.

Get your post count up, and apply pro membership, and also apply for access to the business and marketing forum. Where discussions about pricing are allowed.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by Snatchy View Post

I am just after a rule of thumb to simplify quoting. Yes I could do an indepth individual analysis on the cost to install each head unit but does anybody really do this (have the time) when you play the win some lose some quoting game.

If you have to ask, you need to find another line of work. because you will starve to death

>Prices/pricing questions aren't allowed in the open forums.<

Sorry I was unaware.

>If you have to ask, you need to find another line of work. because you will starve to death<

Whatever! Why even respond with that sort of comment. Actually I have been in the service side of the HVAC industry for many years and was simply asking advise to those people more associated with HVAC installations.