Thread: Apples to Oranges?

Post Likes
    I guess like most people here, I have read many of the threads regarding HVAC systems. I fully understand that the most important thing when replacing a unit or installing a unit is the individual who is performing the job and the guarantees made on the system. But there are so many systems to go with and so many options... What to do, what to do. I have to replace the HVAC system in 1900 sq. ft. home,what can anyone recommend? Someone's gotta have a system that they prefer. Let's say you have a hyundai, a nissan, a honda, a toyota, a bmw, and a mercedes, you can't tell me that you would rather choose a hyundai over a mercedes as long as the vehicle is guaranteed because one will definitely outdo the other, one engine will run better than the other and one transmission will not slip as easy as others... So how do the systems mention in these forums rank or are referred? Thank You.

[Edited by rayrod354 on 05-06-2006 at 03:31 AM]

Post Likes
    go with the brand handled by the best installer in your area --
    harvest rainwater,make SHADE,R75/50/30= roof/wall/floor, use HVAC mastic,caulk all wall seams!

Post Likes

Cool You choice would be...

1. Select the size (the correct sizing) of your air conditioner, using Manual J.

2. Select the type of air conditioner, most suitable for your application. Central, ductless, portable (depending on how you use the space within the house).

3. Select the most practical EER or SEER.

Here is the details:

http://www.air-conditioner-selection...ing-guide.html

Here comes the brand issue.

In my opinion, I would consider a brand is a good one, if it gives me the lowest TOTAL OWNERSHIP COST, for the number of years I want the system to be installed.

But, we have to have a few information at hand:

a. The installation cost,

b. The the approximate maintenance cost per year (depending on the spare part cost and frequency i.e. reliability)

c. Total operating cost (depending on the EER or SEER, and the number of years in use)

Here is the details:

http://www.air-conditioner-selection...ing-guide.html

Generally, we would opt for more reputable, and costly initial purchase, if we will be using the system for longer term and FREQUENT use.

A cheaper option would do just fine if you're using the system seldomly.

I am sorry that I can't give you a brand of my preference.

Jamil.

Post Likes
    Furnace ac; heat pump; dual fuel; geo; etc. ???

Post Likes
    I've used cars as an example before. Like HVAC all will do the job. Like HVAC some of the cheapest have the best warranties. What do you want and what can you afford? Bare bones units tend to be cheaper built and noisier. Most manufacturers in their 13 SEER lines have a builder model and a premium model. Most premiums these days are getting back to compressor protection switches, compressor covers, sound deadening tops, compressor diagnostics. Won't cool any better than the cheapo but definitely a quieter, nicer unit. Does it matter to you? Can you afford it?

Of course there are so many opinions on equipment brands just like Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge. Also on compressors. Many bash Bristol, I think they are a great little recip. Others have differing experiences on other components. We find one brand has a lot of coil leaks, others say they don't experience it but they find leaks in the brands we don't.

So pick the features you want and find the best possible dealer. Many on here think you ought to buy the ultimate 90+ variable speed furnace with super SEER 2 stage A/C. But chosing 80% single stage or 13 SEER builder A/C may be the best bet for most on here.

Not all the bugs worked out but this compares new A/C units
    http://www.johnmills.net/outdoorunits

Post Likes

Cool

Nicely put BaldLoonie

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in