Thread: Hallmark furnace

Post Likes
    Hello all. I'm currently soliciting quotes for a new oil fired warm-air furnace and one installer is quoting a Hallmark furnace. Does anyone have any opinion on the quality of these units? Thanks.

Post Likes
    The only Hallmarks' I have seen are pretty old. 1970s.
    They were durable. No one has installed any in my area for years. I thought they went out of business.

Post Likes
    boyertown bought them in 1980, still never heard of them up here

Post Likes
    They were the only furnace to have their price printed on the back.

Post Likes
    When you mention Halmark you are talking a well built furnace with a long life exspectency. I would compare it to a Thermopride but a little less heavy. Very Good choice

Gem aire Distribution.

Post Likes
    Around here there are a lot of Hallmark oil furnaces due to a large oil company installing them. They are a dependable mid-line oil furnace that you will be happy with as long as it installed properly.
    SRJ

Post Likes
    Very well, heavy built furnace. We have aprox 40 of them in the field. Nothing more than a minor repair from time to time.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by leemonster
    Hello all. I'm currently soliciting quotes for a new oil fired warm-air furnace and one installer is quoting a Hallmark furnace. Does anyone have any opinion on the quality of these units? Thanks.
    They are a great furnace. They have had a few quirks with them, but are very reliable. Make sure it is sized properly and has proper duct work installed. They are built extremely well and are easy to service and I have had very little problems with them. Installation and maintenance is easy. If you have to tear them down, they are a breeze. Get it with the Reillo burner and you'll be very, very happy. Quiet and effecient.

Post Likes
    They don't compare well to a Thermopride, but are a decent mid-level unit. Their heat exchangers and fireboxes had all sorts of failures in the past (post 1988 era) but newer units are fairing better. They're not the most attractive unit and don't handle uneven ground well, but for the money aren't that bad. Easy to service is a popular comment, I've worked on hundreds and have to agree. However, if you intend to stay in your house for a long time, do a Thermopride instead.

Post Likes

Hallmark

I have been using Hallmark oil furnaces for the last 12 yrs.,
    excellent brand, very quiet with Beckett or Reilo, They have
    hard ceramic chamber, not soft fiber.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by casturbo
    They don't compare well to a Thermopride, but are a decent mid-level unit. Their heat exchangers and fireboxes had all sorts of failures in the past (post 1988 era) but newer units are fairing better. They're not the most attractive unit and don't handle uneven ground well, but for the money aren't that bad. Easy to service is a popular comment, I've worked on hundreds and have to agree. However, if you intend to stay in your house for a long time, do a Thermopride instead.
    You're right, they did have problems, mainly do to undersized returns. The heat baffle would break because the units were getting too hot due to lack of return air. They did honor all the cracked heat exchangers that I had submitted.

Post Likes
    Originally posted by atufano
    You're right, they did have problems, mainly do to undersized returns. The heat baffle would break because the units were getting too hot due to lack of return air.
    Yeah, I've heard that excuse from the reps too, but since the old furnace was subject to the same "undersized ducts" and lasted 35 yrs with them, saying that was the reason the new furnace failed just doesn't 'hold water'. Furthermore, and not to pick on Hallmark, they'd supply new parts under warrantee and they wouldn't fail, even when those new parts were subject to the those same 'undersized ducts'. I like Hallmark, just no where near as much as Thermopride.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by atufano View Post
    You're right, they did have problems, mainly do to undersized returns. The heat baffle would break because the units were getting too hot due to lack of return air. They did honor all the cracked heat exchangers that I had submitted.
    Hey not to hijack the thread- I have two Hallmark HB160C/Beckett furnace combos- my baffle let go and upon taking it apart last night i found that the exchanger is cracked. I have a 20 year warranty supposedly and they told me how it cracked they wont cover it any advice?? I have two of the same furnaces and the other one (in fear of what I found on this one- took it apart as well) everything is perfect. so clearly between two units, one had a defect and the other does not?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by casturbo View Post
    Yeah, I've heard that excuse from the reps too, but since the old furnace was subject to the same "undersized ducts" and lasted 35 yrs with them, saying that was the reason the new furnace failed just doesn't 'hold water'. Furthermore, and not to pick on Hallmark, they'd supply new parts under warrantee and they wouldn't fail, even when those new parts were subject to the those same 'undersized ducts'. I like Hallmark, just no where near as much as Thermopride.
    Thermopride heat exchangers are thicker than hallmarks. They are structured differently than hallmark and have better design. They are tanks. Hallmark are good builder grade equipment. I've never like the design of the hx.
    Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Beantown View Post
    Hey not to hijack the thread- I have two Hallmark HB160C/Beckett furnace combos- my baffle let go and upon taking it apart last night i found that the exchanger is cracked. I have a 20 year warranty supposedly and they told me how it cracked they wont cover it any advice?? I have two of the same furnaces and the other one (in fear of what I found on this one- took it apart as well) everything is perfect. so clearly between two units, one had a defect and the other does not?
    First, if your the home owner, they're not going to listen to you. Second, you need to have a qualified service company let hallmark know what is up with your furnaces.

If you called Hallmark with your serial number, you may have a problem. The call has to come from your service company. Since they have to ensure that he heat exchanger is cracked, or Hallmark is going to make them eat the costs.

Call a pro.
    Happiness is the only good. The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others so.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by atufano View Post
    First, if your the home owner, they're not going to listen to you. Second, you need to have a qualified service company let hallmark know what is up with your furnaces.

If you called Hallmark with your serial number, you may have a problem. The call has to come from your service company. Since they have to ensure that he heat exchanger is cracked, or Hallmark is going to make them eat the costs.

Call a pro.
    My pro is my 49 years of 1) HVAC 2) GC. My best friend has had his own boiler business for over 30 years. He called it and I followed up. Their response was ultimately go with a different company if you are not satisfied. Thx for the input though. Reccomendation stay away from Hallmark/Boyertown.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Beantown View Post
    My pro is my 49 years of 1) HVAC 2) GC. My best friend has had his own boiler business for over 30 years. He called it and I followed up. Their response was ultimately go with a different company if you are not satisfied. Thx for the input though. Reccomendation stay away from Hallmark/Boyertown.
    I'm not trying to get into a pissing match with you, though, I've turned in many hallmark warrantees and they are pretty good with covering them. I have never had them turn one down. I have lost count with the number I've turned in. I usually go through the dealer that I bought it from. If the crack is in the correct spot, within a certain age, they usually cover it. Maybe you need to file the paper work with whom you bought it from and you may get better luck.
    -Robert Green Ingersoll

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in