+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: AD/HD techs

Post Likes

Cool AD/HD techs

Are there any AD/HD techs out there. I'm a newly diagnosed AD/HD adult and service tech. Any thoughts, experiences, challenges? BTW... I'm not here to discuss the existence of AD/HD, but to discuss it's effects on those techs who have it. Let's keep it friendly and encouraging please.

Post Likes
    don't worry after a few shocks it will start to diminish.
    Seriously though, it's a good field for ad hd cause it keeps the mind stimulated.

Post Likes
    Since you don't want to discuss it's existance, I have nothing further.....

Post Likes
    I work with one. Undiagnosed but it's very obvious he has ADHD.

Let me start by saying he is one of the best workers I have ever worked with, constantly using his head to come up with solutions to a problem, running different scenarios, and always has the gears turning.

On the downside of it... It can become annoying, like when we go to lunch (my unwind and catch a breath time) he is still talking about a problem. He HAS to have the tools in his hands at all times, you cannot pick up a wrench without him taking it from you and jumping in. I have had a talk with him on two occasions now about allowing me to do things without his interference, to me that is the most annoying trait. I also have noticed that when he crashes he crashes hard, falling asleep in the van while riding passanger and when we take classes together he sleeps through 90% of the class every time.

I know the kid means well and I try to keep myself in check when I work with him but when I am frustrated with solving a problem it's hard to keep that check.

Just realize yourself and how you interact with others and you will make an excellent tech.
    UA LU189

Post Likes
    Let me clarify, I'm not inviting an argument regarding its existence.

@zw17... It sounds like he has hyperactivity along with his attention deficit. Usually, that's the type that is caught early on. That can be a good thing because it may be caught early and treated from an early age. I don't have hyperactivity and, according to my doc, higher than average intelligence. These factors tend to make it difficult to catch early on and often takes decades to diagnose correctly. People often call us "under achievers", "day dreamers", "lazy", or whatever else. It seems to me that there is a high concentration of AD/HDers in our trade.

I recently interviewed with a company and they asked me: 1) how old I was, and 2) how badly my AD/HD would effect my job performance. He said that he was concerned about my safety. Needless to say, I didn't get the job. However, I say, if they don't want me there, I don't want to work there. I'll have to make I butt load of money for some other lucky contractor.

Post Likes
    I was diagnosed with ADHAD 12 yers ago, it has never been a problem.

Post Likes
    I question whether there is such a thing as ADHD. In many cases doctors too quickly label it that and prescribe ridalin and aderal. My son had a slight learning disorder in elementary school and they put him on that drug. It wasn’t until I took his resting heart rate and found it to be 140bpm+ that I took him off it. It was cooking his heart. Who couldn’t pay attention after 20 cups of coffee? And, when was hyperactivity in children a disease that required a drug?

IMO any behavioral or learning problem you have with your child (or adult) can be labeled ADHD and be put of those drugs. In many cases it is just bad parenting and maybe a reluctance to spank your child from time to time to let him know who is boss.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian GC View Post
    I question whether there is such a thing as ADHD. In many cases doctors too quickly label it that and prescribe ridalin and aderal. My son had a slight learning disorder in elementary school and they put him on that drug. It wasn’t until I took his resting heart rate and found it to be 140bpm+ that I took him off it. It was cooking his heart. Who couldn’t pay attention after 20 cups of coffee? And, when was hyperactivity in children a disease that required a drug.

IMO any behavioral or learning problem you have with your child (or adult) can be labeled ADHD and be put of those drugs. In many cases it is just bad parenting and maybe a reluctance to spank your child.
    I do agree that drugs are not the answer but it does exist. I was 46 when a doctor told me I had it and many things in my life made sense. I do think way to much is made and it is grossly over medicated in chidren.

It is hard to explain but I cannot shut my brain down even at night and I always have to have something going on. I need a radio or something playing even when I read a book.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    I do agree that drugs are not the answer but it does exist. I was 46 when a doctor told me I had it and many things in my life made sense. I do think way too much is made and it is grossly over medicated in children.

It is hard to explain but I cannot shut my brain down even at night and I always have to have something going on. I need a radio or something playing even when I read a book.
    Have you ever tried the drugs, and if so, did they help?

The supposed symptoms for ADHD are too varied. Anything from not paying attention to paying too much attention. From being too docile to being too active. It seems everyone qualifies.

Post Likes
    I question whether there is such a thing as ADHD. In many cases doctors too quickly label it that and prescribe ridalin and aderal. My son had a slight learning disorder in elementary school and they put him on that drug. It wasn’t until I took his resting heart rate and found it to be 140bpm+ that I took him off it. It was cooking his heart. Who couldn’t pay attention after 20 cups of coffee? And, when was hyperactivity in children a disease that required a drug?

IMO any behavioral or learning problem you have with your child (or adult) can be labeled ADHD and be put of those drugs. In many cases it is just bad parenting and maybe a reluctance to spank your child from time to time to let him know who is boss.
    I too, have what would be labeled as ADHD. My brain is constantly thinking about many things at once, alway has. I control it with self control. Getting my a** beat as a kd, helped me down that road of self control.

I think everyone is "afflicted" with ADHD at some level. So, IMO, it isn't really a disorder, just that we humans are of a high intellegence, and being such, our brains funtion different than that of a sloth.

Edit:

It sucks to the point that you must "crash" to sleep. Winding down is difficult.

Post Likes

The supposed symptoms for ADHD are too varied. Anything from not paying attention to paying too much attention. From being too docile to being too active. It seems everyone qualifies.
    I did try one drug I forget the name but what they give adults is different than what they prescribe for children. The drugs that are given children to calm them down actually work the opposite in adults.

I like many of my generation self-mediated for many years; fortunately I have stopped that long hence.

I cannot say what is best for your children but do some research on holistic and organic measures, diet can be a big culprit in the onset of ADHD in children even adults. Most foods have considerable sugar or other stimulants like high fructose corn syrup. It can also be triggered by allergies like gluten intolerance so education is your best friend.

I agree almost any now days can be a candidate for the diagnosis mostly due to our over processed food diet.

Post Likes

This is a common misconception IMO. It is the composite symptoms over a lifetime that make somebody AD/HD. Also, to qualify as AD/HD, one must be adversely effected in their social, secular, or personal life.
    That being said, EVERYBODY displays some of the symptoms at some point in their life to one degree or another. There are a lot of crap doctors out there just like there are a lot of crap techs. Some docs just wanna make money on their scrips or feel that if they don't push pills, they'll lose patients. If you don't have it, you'll never really understand it. AD/HD has been widely documented and proven to exist. However, there's still a lot of learning left to do. Here's a book I read and really appreciate, Healing ADD: The Breakthrough Program That Allows You to See and Heal the 6 Types of ADD by Daniel G. Amen ( ISBN: 0-425-18327-0 ).

I'm done debating the existence of AD/HD. I asked that we not even bring the debate up. I started the thread for techs that have AD/HD (or those with family with it) to encourage, discuss, and share. I get enough of this 'it doesn't exist' or 'everybody has it' crap. People who think this way obviously don't understand due to lack of education on the subject. My Dad doesn't think it exists, despite the fact that he obviously has it himself and has self medicated with alcohol for years and was given a prescription for depression (and the drug is also used to treat AD/HD) and he dramatically improved in short time.

Post Likes
    And, when was hyperactivity in children a disease that required a drug?

BTW... Hyperactivity is very different than a normal child's activity level and I was beaten regularly and punished (nothing got by my parents) and I still have ADD. Bad parenting is probably the number 1 myth.

Post Likes

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    I cannot say what is best for your children but do some research on holistic and organic measures, diet can be a big culprit in the onset of ADHD in children even adults. Most foods have considerable sugar or other stimulants like high fructose corn syrup. It can also be triggered by allergies like gluten intolerance so education is your best friend.

I agree almost any now days can be a candidate for the diagnosis mostly due to our over processed food diet.
    Very good thoughts.

Post Likes

Smile

I was diagnosed with it in grade 7 or 8, never been an issue. Think it made me work/focus harder.

Don't worry about it.

Post Likes
    Another misconception is that one must be hyperactive to be AD/HD. I'm not hyperactive, I fall under a different category. There are three commonly accepted types of AD/HD currently, but some postulate that there are up to even 12 types.

Post Likes
    If a dude can't stay awake it's probably depresion and if he can't quite talking and grabbin shi7 he is probably on the upswing of mania. So that would be bypolar not adhd. Could be hazordous to your health.
    AND why would you tell your interviewer that you are adhd that is priveleged info and is not a handicap, if you told me that in an interview I would say don't call us we'll call you.. Being niave is diffrent than being adhd, Sorry but the world is a creul reality and there are not many bleeding hearts when it comes to liability. I have dealt with many issues and still am [was ready to fight some ahole today and might have to tommarrow] but its all good.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Naydrus View Post
    I was diagnosed with it in grade 7 or 8, never been an issue. Think it made me work/focus harder.

Don't worry about it.
    now that is funny

Post Likes
    i have add adhd ocd dyslexia partially autistic with a high IQ!
    i struggle every single day as a mechanic!

double check everything!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

Post Likes
    funny!!!!!!!
    true knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in