+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Trane VariTrane

Post Likes

Trane VariTrane

Hi Guys,

I know this is not really a controls questions, but we controls guys probably have more info on VAVs than most mechanical guys. Has anyone got any infomation on a Trane box Model# HRB06GXF. The tag calls it a VariTrane Variable Volume Unit, but the guy who has looked at it says that it does not have the usual VariTrane Air Valve, but some linkages and springs. If anyone has any cut-sheets, IOM or anything on these units, can I please get a copy.

Thanks

Kevin

EDIT: It is a pneumatically controlled box.

Controls is a lifestyle not a job

Post Likes
    Those look like some very old boxes. Checkout the pdf’s I have hopefully they will have what you are looking for.

Post Likes
    That looks like it, check out the drawing on the linkage on page 11 in the DS-VAV1 file, never seen a VAV control like that before.

Thanks twisted pair

Kevin

Controls is a lifestyle not a job

Post Likes
    I looked for parts years ago and they were obsolete then try the roundin round out for a replacement if you have the room.

Post Likes
    Funny I just finished a project with a few of these dinosaurs on it.

That spring in the linkage was a total PITA. We used linear actuators from Belimo to replace the pneumatic. The problem we ran into is, if the damper is running near closed the spring in the linkage can allow the dampers to bang around.

Looking this over it would seem the site is more cobbled together than I originally thought. Most of the boxes had been replaced with only a handful of these guys still standing. At a quick glance these boxes with new ones may have its own issues....

Thanks for the info!!

Where the hell did you get these docs?
    Propagating the formula. http://www.noagendashow.com/

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by orion242 View Post

Where the hell did you get these docs?
    I have a large information vault……. And I had to go deep inside to find these.

Funny thing is that these VAV boxes were made in the mid 1970’s. I was probably in Kindergarten when those documents were originally published.
    The Trane Round In / Round Out retrofit is a really nice product. It is well built with heavy gauge sheet metal and overall I think it is better than some of the regular VAV boxes out there. It is tricky to find the right retrofit application where you have the distance to install them. I think you need somewhere around 18” - 20” inches on the inlet of the box.

The only issue I see with retrofitting a VAV from the 1970’s is why not just replace it. I would think the acoustics, air leakage and condition would warrant a replacement at that age. Certainly the cost would be more as there is additional labor and duct work required, I just wonder what the useful life of something like that is. If it is fan-powered or has electric or hot water reheats, I would think there are more efficient fans and the coils would be ready to be replaced. It is largely just a sheet metal box but nothing last forever. I wonder what the inside lining looks like after 40 years, must be a little bit of dust accumulation.

Post Likes

Varitrane HRB08MXG: Looking for IOM, cut-sheets, submittals, etc

I am new (both to posting and to this site) so please bare with me. The lab has some very old pnuematic Trane VAV controllers. The tag says use document VAV-IN-5 for calibration instructions.

I tried to find this VAV-IN-5 on the internet and at Trane's website but no dice. Does anyone have this document and any other literature that explains/shows how these boxes work and how to set them up properly? The VAV-IN-1 in the original thread below is similar but a bit different.

Thanks,

Dale

Name:  IMGP5548.jpg
Views: 2111
Size:  42.0 KBName:  IMGP5552.jpg
Views: 2397
Size:  44.9 KB

Post Likes
    s# R95G74595 Model# VFPE17BSCG1DD
    do you have a catalog for defining the serial number for varitrane? thanks

Post Likes
    how can i define the age of trane product using serial number?

Post Likes
    I have a job with some of these on it. Did you ever get any documents?

Post Likes

Trane VariTrane

Here’s a doc. Replace them with the Trane RIRO or here is a Titus version.

https://www.titus-hvac.com/file/8315/retrofit_2019.pdf

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in