Thread: Need help choosing between American Standard/Trane Modulating and 2 stage Furnaces

Post Likes

Arrow Need help choosing between American Standard/Trane Modulating and 2 stage Furnaces

So I have now had 4 companies come in so far to give estimates for replacing my existing Trane XE90 with new furnaces. I have been given quotes for the modulating XC95M Trane/AS Freedom 95 (TUHMC100ACV4VA/AUHMC100ACV4VA) and the 2-stage XV95/AS equivalent (TUH2C100A9V4VA/AUH2C100A9V5A) which all seem to be in line with one another. The modulating with the 900 thermostat costs on average $600 more than the 2-stage models. Question is, in VA will I ever recover my money if I shell out the extra money for the modulating furnace?

I was also given a quote for S&G's from one of the companies that comes very highly rec'd for an Amana AMVC951155DX which came in SIGNIFICANTLY cheaper than the Trane/AS models. Is that even a good furnace? I have read some bad reviews about Amana/Goodman products. Thanks for all your help.

Post Likes
    The mod will not save you anything, it's about comfort and the extra control of the 900 stat.

Amana's AMVC is a nice furnace as well. Should be comparable in price to the XV95. So being so much less is a red flag as to why. Look over his bid to make sure identical to the A-S/Trane bids. If they are both doing the same work, the Amana dealer just may price low.

Post Likes
    We will always have the fan circulating the air, so I don't know how much it will really be noticable. Surprised me about the Amana though. The qoute, comparing apples to apples, brings the Amana in about 25% less than the Trane. Would I need a communicating thermo for that too? Does Amana sell their own or could I use the 900? The qoute is from the same company for both systems.

Post Likes
    The AMVC is a 2 stage like the XV95. It can use Amana's communicating stat or any good 2 stage stat.

Post Likes
    We dont do modulating furnaces this far south...But Trane & American Standard equipment come off the exact same assembly line, if this helps you out.

Just besure your comfortable with the company installing it.
    Testing....Signature on Full Site Forum

Post Likes
    The first step is making sure you find a contractor who will not install an oversize furnace. I forget exactly what the numbers are, but I believe a high efficiency furnace needs to run at least 10 minutes before even reaching its rated efficiency level. So the first several minutes it is operating at what? 50% to 80% of its efficiency level? What this means is, if you spend extra money for a high efficiency furnace that only runs several minutes before shutting off 'cause it has heated your home up, you are spending extra money for nothing. Same thing goes for the importance of making sure your duct system is designed well enough to permit high efficiency hvac equipment to reach even 80% of its rated efficiency ratings.
    An answer without a question is meaningless.
    Information without understanding is useless.
    You can lead a horse to water............
    http://www.mohomeenergyaudits.com

Post Likes
    housesmart, This is the Ask Our Pro's or AOP forum. In order to post responses here, you must have verified qualifications and have been approved by the AOP Committee. Please see my signature line for links to register and review the AOP Forum Rules. Thank you. Your post will now be deleted. Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.

Post Likes
    This thread should be closed anyways. I went with the 95% trane 2-stage, and couldn't be happier. Also had a txv valve installed on the coil to protect the compressor. The campany I used, Airflow out os manassas,va did an outstanding job, and when we need a new AC they will be the first ones I call.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in