+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Liebert condenser with a P66 speed controller

Post Likes

Liebert condenser with a P66 speed controller

Went to a site today and found a Liebert condenser with 2 motors: 1 single phase motor which is normally controlled with a JCI P66 series speed controller and a 3 phase motor which is controlled by outside air temp. Over the weekend, the single phase motor died and someone hooked up the 3 phase motor to the P66 controller--and it is still running! I took current reading and it is slightly high <10%.

According to the P66 literature, you cannot use on a 3 phase motor. How is this motor working?

Post Likes
    When you figure it out let me know. I have never seen it done. Is the cap wired in? Does the speed change with an increase in pressure?
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

Post Likes
    guessing they wired it up as single phase and then helped start the fan manually. it will run for a while, but thne it will fail and they will need two new motors.

Post Likes
    Gonna need two motors soon!

Post Likes
    Before you go changing motors, I had an APC system with Heatcraft condensers. 1 3ph fan controlled by OAT stat and 1 1ph fan controlled by P-66. 2 winters in a row I would get an after hrs call the unit is down on high head safety. By the time I got there reset the safety, everything worked fine. Both APC and Heatcraft got involved. Final speculation during cold operating conditions with the right wind speed and direction the p-66 would ramp to low causing the motor to over heat and cut out on thermal. There solution, install a P-70 inline with the start signal on the condenser.

Give me a headmaster anytime!

Post Likes
    This has happened twice to me in the last 6 months on a Liebert. Running fine at the moment and not throwing parts at it.

Post Likes
    I went back and replaced the single phase motor. As far as the 3 phase motor, L1 was feeding through P66 serving as 1st ph, L2 was 2nd ph, L3 was fed from capacitor off of L2.

I rewired appropriately, checked amp draw and all seems to be normal for now.

Post Likes
    pecmsg...Can you be more specific on the P-70???

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in