Thread: derating for LP

derating for LP

Gonna have a GMVM96 furnace installed, but I can't find a spec for the derate on this furnace. Called goodman, they can't find a figure, so the end result is that their engineers claim there is no difference, possibly because the LP kit is an entire gas valves and burners.. So maybe something is altered in this major change-over so the output remains the same? If there is no derate, then I can use the 60K. If there is derate, then I am borderline and will want to have the 80K installed. thanks.

As you've point out, the manufacturer is the court of determination on the output of the furnace. If you were measuring a therm of natural gas to a gallon of LP gas, then you'd need the multiplier for heat content. But purchasing a kit from the manufacturer likely adjusts the gas orifice sizes so the input/output is the same. As I recall, there's also some screens to be removed from the burner when making that conversion.
    If YOU want change, YOU have to first change.

If you are waiting for the 'other guy' to change first, just remember, you're the 'other guy's' other guy. To continue to expect real change when you keep acting the same way as always, is folly. Won't happen. Real change will only happen when a majority of the people change the way they vote!