Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 13 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    southern california
    Posts
    60

    Burning down the house

    Had an emergency call on Friday, one of the worst "install" I have ever seen this is what you get when you hire idiots out of the pennysaver. The flue has been venting into the attic for at least 5 years from what I was told ( when they put new roof on) note the burnt wood for the roof , the return air was just a couple of 2 x 6's sitting on top of ceiling joists covered with a loose piece of 3/8 plywood, pulling all that carbon monoxide into the house. and these folks had a recently born baby in the house.......and was wondering why they had headaches......
    Attached Images Attached Images     

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Columbus Ohio
    Posts
    1,985
    OMFG....

    I have no words.
    UA LU189

    10mm, because it's better than .45acp

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Posts
    1,090
    SWEET JESUS!!!!
    This is Forreal??? Like you and your buddy didnt rig this for kicks?
    This must have been a rental Property with a scumlord. I have never seen such disregard for people and I work with ALOT of Roofers.

    So they got a new roof and the roofers just deleted the chimeny? Thier is NO way even a fly by night Hvac guy would do that. He!! Pennysaver would atleast ran dryer flex duct out the window NO?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    southern california
    Posts
    60
    well it was not exactly in the best side of town, and I did get the impression that it was a scumlord situation, you know, I dont have a lot of money and could you finance it for a year or two ?

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    North Richland Hills, Texas
    Posts
    14,914
    Single wall pipe in an unconditioned space, so even if it did actually run through the roof properly, it would still be wrong...
    If more government is the answer, then it's a really stupid question.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Afton, VA / Khorat, Thailand
    Posts
    2,468
    I have seen the "burnt wood flue syndrome" too many times. The homeowners have no clue......some things should be prosecuted.
    Tough times don't last...Tough people do.

    Midnight Sun Astrophotography

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    in a house, Appomattox, Va.
    Posts
    3,293
    plywood run wrong direction, looks like new ply, maybe they did break off flue pipe? crap roof install to go w/duct.
    Col 3:23


    questions asked, answers received, ignorance abated

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    4,701
    I would blame the flue dumping in the attic on the "roofers".

    as for the flue material, the HVAC person and inspector, along with the rest of the photos.
    The Food Stamp Program, administered by the U.S. Department of Agriculture, is proud to be distributing the greatest amount of free meals and stamps EVER.
    Meanwhile, the National Park Service, administered by the U.S. Department of the Interior, asks us to "Please Do Not Feed the Animals". Their stated reason for this policy "... the animals become dependent on handouts and will not learn to take care of themselves."
    from an excerpt by Paul Jacob in Sun City, AZ

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto,Ontario Canada
    Posts
    355
    what did you end up doing to the venting after you saw it. ibet the furnace old too. Did you put in a new hi eff furnace in?

    its scary sometimes. hope the current family living in this place is alright.
    Get er Done!

    Do what has to be done
    when it has to be done
    as well as it has to be done
    And doing it all the time.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    southern california
    Posts
    60
    I refused to touch it, presented a bid to the scumlord and was told, " no way !!! you are too high" go figure.........

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Toronto,Ontario Canada
    Posts
    355
    i would call up the local gas company that provides the house the gas and make them turn it off now.. in canada its called an A-Tag immediate danger.

    i find that more dangerous. now the landlord knows but will not doing nothing about it! wow! i am just speechless
    Get er Done!

    Do what has to be done
    when it has to be done
    as well as it has to be done
    And doing it all the time.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    northern Ohio
    Posts
    140
    what a shame... hopefully it will be corrected. Too many times a landlord doesn't care in the least and will just let it go, there will be a new tenant in a year or so and they won't know about it so who cares as long as they get that metro/govt rent check. And what did those roofers use for nails? Sinkers? I bet this house was a dandy. I have the privilage of working for a lot of slumlords as my home town is quickly turning into nothing but rentals...

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Tucson, AZ
    Posts
    45
    I would personally red tag it until they could fix it. No excuse whatsoever.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Comfortech Show Promo Image

Related Forums

Plumbing Talks | Contractor Magazine
Forums | Electrical Construction & Maintenance (EC&M) Magazine
Comfortech365 Virtual Event