Rudd/Rheem Heat pump wiring

Hello Gentlemen,
    I have a residential job where the customer (large apartment owner, various locations) bought a new 1.5 ton air handler/heat pump with back up electrical heat from a local supplier 9 months ago.
    I was getting ready to check out the low voltage wiring (there is no electrical ladder wiring diagram in the instructions, but there is one on the front panel) and noticed that the air handler has only three terminals, R, G, and I think a W.
    I called the supplier about help on wiring the air handler correctly to communicate with the heat pump and after I gave them the model # (RHSL-HM1817AA) of the unit, they said someone sold the building owner the wrong air handler.
    I have been trying to swap out for another air handler and I'm about to give up and just have the owner buy another air handler, but I think there is a chance I can make this air handler work, maybe with the correct DPDT relay and a new heat pump thermostat to kick on the back up heat. What do you guy's think?
    Last edited by jdere; 02-26-2012 at 11:57 AM.

Call Rheem

Have model and serial # for indoor/outdoor unit, the airhandler may not be compatible, they can tell you and how to modify it. Problem is the blower. Write me and I can get that info for you.

Quote Originally Posted by jdere View Post
    Hello Gentlemen,
    I have a residential job where the customer (large apartment owner, various locations) bought a new 1.5 ton air handler/heat pump with back up electrical heat from a local supplier 9 months ago.
    I was getting ready to check out the low voltage wiring and noticed that the air handler has only three terminals, R, G, and I think a W.
    I called the supplier about help on wiring the air handler correctly to communicate with the heat pump and after I gave them the model # of the unit, they said someone sold the building owner the wrong air handler.
    I have been trying to swap out for another air handler and I'm about to give up and just have the owner buy another air handler, but I think there is a chance I can make this air handler work, maybe with the correct DPDT relay and a new heat pump thermostat to kick on the back up heat. What do you guy's think?
    There may be an equipment mismatch, but from a purely electrical standpoint, this air handler should work. The only thing missing is a "common" control wire, and that should be easy enough to come up with.

You'll need a minimum of six wires from the thermostat to the air handler, and a minimum of five wires from the outside unit to the air handler.
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Bruce,
    Air Handler:
    Model# RHSL-HM1817AA
    Serial # W301011329
    115 volt, but somehow the maintaince guy was able to install the electric heat accessory before I got there.

Don't have model or serial # for the outside heat pump, but I have these terminal connections:
    Y, B, D, R , and C

Quote Originally Posted by jdere View Post
    Bruce,
    Air Handler:
    Model# RHSL-HM1817AA
    Serial # W301011329
    115 volt, but somehow the maintaince guy was able to install the electric heat accessory before I got there.

Don't have model or serial # for the outside heat pump, but I have these terminal connections:
    Y, B, D, R , and C
    Y=Compressor Contactor
    B=Reversing Valve...Rheem is de-engerized for cool.
    D=Defrost Heat
    R=24v Hot
    C=24v Common
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

From the wiring diagram I found you should have r, g, c voltage, fan, common.

R,G,C is all i see also
    terminal for w1 w2

jdere, you've got mail
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

It is a 120V air handler. I suppose he could change the blower motor to 240V and add a heat kit. Or even improperly use the existing motor

Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    R,G,C is all i see also
    terminal for w1 w2

jdere, you've got mail
    Thanks Dandyme for the electrical diagram for the air handler!
    I don't have the electical diagram for the emergency electric heat portion. It shouldn't be a big deal.
    Thanks All for the help!

No electrical heating elements are permitted to be used with A Voltage (115V) air handler. p. 20 of installation instructions

straight out of the manual, you're going to need a different A/H if you intend to have electric heat ( and have a UL listed appliance)
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by dandyme View Post
    No electrical heating elements are permitted to be used with A Voltage (115V) air handler. p. 20 of installation instructions

straight out of the manual, you're going to need a different A/H if you intend to have electric heat ( and have a UL listed appliance)
    Okay Dandyme. That's that. We are going to have to get another air handler.
    Thanks Everyone!