Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by o-ring View Post
    I live in Waterloo and heard this on the radio.After the first couple of times the story changed to " The police, principal, and child care services said that there were other factors in play" WTF! My 4 year old son runs around shooting Buzz Lightyears laser and I do not have a gun!
    Looks like I will have to sit him down and tell him not to have an IMAGINATION!

When my daughter was 4.....people would come up and say "what a pretty little girl!" She would smile and press the button on her arm like buzz lightyear..... I looked at my wife knowing my cute little daughter just lasered someone.......and they didn't know.....

Don't worry zombies are looking for brains, you're safe...

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    IMO a classic example of govt taking their jobs too seriously.

For the folks north of the border: The documents founding the USA are CLEAR the govt is NOT allowed to do those things noted in this thread... even though they keep trying to usurp the limitations in the founding documents. You see, we take our freedom more seriously than you do... because we know we can loose it (like other countries already have).

It is the job of the citizens to keep govt within boundaries... If we go lax on that job... we risk something similar to some of the more destructive societies in history.

I think it was Thomas Jefferson who said: "All you have to do to loose your freedom is NOTHING"... In other words: Keep tight strings on govt.
    Quote Originally Posted by enb54 View Post
    Canadians do take their freedom seriously, and if you think that the same stuff does not happen in the USA, just take a closer look around. I have the privilege of being able to legally live in the USA or Canada, and am not so naiive to believe that either country is better than the other, just that there are pros and cons to each.

The thing about any government is that they basically can do anything they like, your rights are limited by how much money and publicity you can generate.

Ask any lawyer about this, either side of the border...

Just a comment, not being nasty...
    Nothing meant personally...

And yes, I know the same sh*t goes on; on both sides of the border. Kinda like that old saying: The world is a great place... it is just people that mess it up. Well; there are people on both sides of the border... and the lust for power (which manifests itself in oppressive govt) is just part of human nature).

I do have a question for the folks north of the border (please be specific): Do the founding documents of your country strictly forbid this invasive behavior on the part of govt? Ours do... we just do not take govt to task as much as we should.
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Thsi story reminds me abotu hte whole situation in Iowa at hte end of last year when Open Carry and cencealed carry laws were going ot go into effect. The anti-gun groups (I'm somewhere in the middle personally) were freaking out that we'd have people walking aroudn with rifles over theri shoulder in public parks and the police were freaked out that they'd have everyone packing heat and could tell the good guys from the bad guys (you know because only bad guys carry guns) in a bad situation.

Long story short, the city held off on passing any ordinances regarding limiting the law (which would have been challenged and likely overturned by a state court). I can't say that I've seen anyone carrying a weapon (hence...concealed) nor have I seen anyone walking around iwht a gun on their shoulder. I'd read that there hasn't been a single incident with a legal conceled carry permit holder in the state wince hte law passed.

I must admit, in this part of the country, I actually feel fairly safe because I know so many responsible citizens have or carry weapons. You'd be an idiot to pull out a gun in public around here. Not only do we have a well trained, equipped and sizeable local police force for a town this size, you never know who is carrying and ready to step up.

Quote Originally Posted by ga-hvac-tech View Post
    Nothing meant personally...

And yes, I know the same sh*t goes on; on both sides of the border. Kinda like that old saying: The world is a great place... it is just people that mess it up. Well; there are people on both sides of the border... and the lust for power (which manifests itself in oppressive govt) is just part of human nature).

I do have a question for the folks north of the border (please be specific): Do the founding documents of your country strictly forbid this invasive behavior on the part of govt? Ours do... we just do not take govt to task as much as we should.
    Well, would you really like to find out about those convoluted politics that founded the political entity known as Canada? Really hate to send you off to wikipedia, but google "British North America Act" and have a look, then you can rush off to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadia...s_and_Freedoms .

If after looking (please skim, it's a lot faster) at this stuff you need more, then you are able to read yourself to sleep by searching the official Government of Canada website for "Charter of Rights and Freedoms ".

To save you all that trouble, I've attached a pdf of our "Charter of Rights and Freedoms" which actually is heavily influenced by the U.N. charter of rights.

Sorry, no revolutions here, we were far too polite for that (or maybe life was just too complacent? )

As you will have deduced after skimming that documentation, we didn't really take the reins fully until 1982, so be gentle with us... now that you know and understand...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I found this particularly humorous
    Fundamental Freedoms
    2. Everyone has the following fundamental freedoms:

(a) freedom of conscience and religion;

(b) freedom of thought, belief, opinion and expression, including freedom
    of the press and other media of communication;

(c) freedom of peaceful assembly; and
    (d) freedom of association.
    as long as you don't insult, harass or otherwise annoy ANY other person or culture, because if you do, you'll go to jail

Now thats funny stuff
    LOVE has four letters

So does BEER, DEER,GUNS AND FISH

Quote Originally Posted by jmac00 View Post
    I found this particularly humorous

as long as you don't insult, harass or otherwise annoy ANY other person or culture, because if you do, you'll go to jail

Now thats funny stuff
    Yes, even we get a lot of chuckles about ourselves, but you have to remember that a lot of very high priced lawyers helped to write it...

The whole country is officially "multicultural" and of course bilingual (French & English), plus there seems to be more Spanish and Chinese spoken every day...

Oh darn! Forgot about Ukrainian, German & Italian... MY! my!... This place is starting to sound like the USA... Did I just say that?

Oh... But we still have a Queen... We know you folks want one (secretly), just look at all the Royal watchers in the USA...

Good that we all can laugh WITH each other...
    Last edited by enb54; 02-27-2012 at 07:40 PM. Reason: Queen

Yes, even we get a lot of chuckles about ourselves, but you have to remember that a lot of very high priced lawyers helped to write it...

The whole country is officially "multicultural" and of course bilingual (French & English), plus there seems to be more Spanish and Chinese spoken every day...

Oh darn! Forgot about Ukrainian, German & Italian... MY! my!... This place is starting to sound like the USA... Did I just say that?

Oh... But we still have a Queen... We know you folks want one (secretly), just look at all the Royal watchers in the USA...

Good that we all can laugh WITH each other...
    No we want to BE ROYALTY, who doesn't want $700M a year and have EVERYONE Kiss your

Look every country has it's problems, but you have to admit, being arrested without explanation for your daughter drawing a picture of a gun is just stupid.

Hell when I was in third or fourth or fifth or was it sixth grade my notebook was full of plains shooting and bombing with army guys killing people, hell with that thought pattern my dad would still be in jail. But you know what happened? I got a lecture on not paying attention in school, not one word about killing everyone in North Korea, or was it WWII.....I forget, pick a conflict
    LOVE has four letters

No we want to BE ROYALTY, who doesn't want $700M a year and have EVERYONE Kiss your

Look every country has it's problems, but you have to admit, being arrested without explanation for your daughter drawing a picture of a gun is just stupid.
    Well, for the latest look at http://www.therecord.com/news/articl...by-gun-picture . Am sure there is going to be a lot of flack, this is not supposed to happen...

my guess, The review will conclude that the police acted appropriately.

I think this could have been handled in a much less confrontational manor.
    LOVE has four letters

Well, for the latest look at http://www.therecord.com/news/articl...by-gun-picture . Am sure there is going to be a lot of flack, this is not supposed to happen...

The question is:

Were the rights of the citizen violated by an arrest based on loose and insufficient evidence?

What freedom is all about is the LE folks know their a**es will be on the chopping block if they make a mistake like this. What tyranny is about is; oh well... no harm done. Well there WAS and IS harm done. Freedom has been removed from the rightful expectation of the public... and replaced with fear of the govt. Now tell me this is the way you want to live...
    GA-HVAC-Tech

Quality work at a fair price with excellent customer service!

Romans Ch's 5-6-7-8

2 Chronicles 7:14

Well, have changed my mind...

Just got told off by one of my friends, he said "What if no one did anything and the kid shot someone with that imaginary gun?"

That happened here last year, so I guess maybe it's better to be a bit paranoid and save a life than to do nothing. It still seems a bit overboard to me, but I guess you had to be there.

Apparently the father had previously been charged and convicted of aggravated assault and burglary, so that was probably a factor in the response...

Well, have changed my mind...

Just got told off by one of my friends, he said "What if no one did anything and the kid shot someone with that imaginary gun?"
    are you freaking kidding me? what if I hit someone in the head with an imaginary bat? waht crock of

That happened here last year, so I guess maybe it's better to be a bit paranoid and save a life than to do nothing. It still seems a bit overboard to me, but I guess you had to be there.

Apparently the father had previously been charged and convicted of aggravated assault and burglary, so that was probably a factor in the response...
    convenient the media left that out of the story? is there any proof the father had a record? or is this more hearsay
    LOVE has four letters

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast