Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by Tempted View Post
    LOL I guess my poor spelling side tracked you into feeling inferior. Cause you missed the point.
    I got your point and you are incorrect; NATE is fine to a point but certainly it is not the pinnacle of our industry; I would put that moniker on RSES.

I was NATE certified and no it was not difficult but it was enlightening, as I see it the main benefit of NATE is to tell a service manager/ boos or the tested their strength or weaknesses. If the tested is weak on electrical it will show up the same on airflow or system charging.

If I had to choose between Bob and Joe; Bob being a technician with 5 years of experience NATE certified and Joe being a technician with 5 years of experience, I would take Bob in a second.

Now, here is why.

Joe may or may not have been trained by a good teacher who did work right and force that level of work on his apprentice. For that matter, I knew a guy who did AC work for 6 years with pizza hut and he couldn't tell me why superheat was important or what a relay did. Bob, however, has had some training and at least should understand the basics of HVAC enough to find the true problem. Of course, fixing a problem and installing a system is not the same thing.

Personally, I think home owners would do better to require a list of actions to be preformed and a time limit to preform them then make the company extended that time by 4 hours minimum. Require them to inform you before leaving so you can inspect the checklist and sign off before they go. Yes, it will cost more. However, you should end up with much more detailed work and you may catch them making a mistake they don't want to fix.

Then again, my company has a Q&A team to do the same thing.
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    See crap like this is why I don't like nate, "some" folks that become nate certified think they have the right to put themselves above others. Well I am not nate certified, and I take our profession very serious! and I also Love what I do. Might want to check into nate and see if they have a nate certification for spelling, that will probably be under nate certification for proper invoicing.
    NATE Certification: Core Essentials
    Chapter One: Soft Skills

However, I don't think proper grammar will allow you to write on your essay question, "Well there pilgrim! There's alot of things I ain't sayin' while your holdin' that sawed off shotgun in my middle."

one more for the duke!
    If you're too "open" minded, your brains will fall out.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post
    I got your point and you are incorrect; NATE is fine to a point but certainly it is not the pinnacle of our industry; I would put that moniker on RSES.

I was NATE certified and no it was not difficult but it was enlightening, as I see it the main benefit of NATE is to tell a service manager/ boos or the tested their strength or weaknesses. If the tested is weak on electrical it will show up the same on airflow or system charging.
    I aggree Nate isn't the pinnacle of our industry. And now with classes readily available, getting certified is easier. Still if you have every certification our industry has, which one is your customer going to reconize. Which one has the most training going on?
    I'm a small company, sometimes I pull in larger jobs and I need to hire a few guys for a 7-8 month job. I dont have a whole lot of time to interview, test, call references verify whats what, with numerous applicants. I will look at the certified guys first. They have a knoweldge base line I can see.
    If you think our goverment is screwed up. You haven't lived in another country.

Quote Originally Posted by classical View Post

I would agree RSES is by far superior.

Hired one "Tech" with multiple NATE badges and he never missed a chance to rub them the other guys's faces.
    Couldn't trouble shoot a TXV or reversing valve, among many other technical short comings.
    Condemned everything rather than get to the root problem.
    Gone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123