Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Twilly says some good advice some bad advice, Twilly is NATE certified, what does it mean, nothing other than Twilly was willing to take a test to at least prove a certain level of expertise. The fact that some companies require the techs to be certified may speak to the fact that they think it's important to prove a certain skill level.

Does being certified mean you'll get a better job, no necessarily. Call both companies back out and have them go over the job with you and ask each one of them why they made the recommendations they did. Check the BBB. Twilly says sometimes more is just more.
    No Heat No Cool You need Action Fast

even tho my cert runs out in a few months i have to say nate cert shows something for the company

dont take the bid at face value and call and see if they will do better. They need or want the work not you

to many just take a bid and done. Talk to the salesman and if they cant lower the price then look more at company b

Nate or not you are the consumer must do your homework also. Get referances and check both places out.

find out about permits and talk to the inspection department about both then decide
    nate IMHO doent give a reason to have higher prices just means some one passed a test

Quote Originally Posted by hvac wiz 79 View Post
    i don't stand by NATE .. its just a bunch of hype. years ago i was in a class for NATE testing. the guy giving the test received X amount of dollars per person, per section . . everyone passed! how amazing ..... there was guys i wouldn't think are average helper status running around being NATE certified now.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk
    So what you are saying is that you do work and do not expect to be compensated for it?

What does a proctor have to do with everyone passing?

Are you implying that you cheated to accomplish your certification or that every one else in the room cheated and you passed due to you superior knowledge of our industry?

Quote Originally Posted by second opinion View Post
    So what you are saying is that you do work and do not expect to be compensated for it?

What does a proctor have to do with everyone passing?

Are you implying that you cheated to accomplish your certification or that every one else in the room cheated and you passed due to you superior knowledge of our industry?
    I'm not implying anything but you can draw your own conclusion. my point is i knew a good portion of guys in that test room & some of them were probably only good at cleaning coils & changing filters, but left being certified service techs. i don't claim to have superior knowledge but I'm respected as a guy that knows his stuff. i took that test serious at the time as did i with the school i was in. only after i realized its about business & business only did i realize its crap

I'm not attempting to make all NATE certified guys or supporters look bad. just giving my angle

At a 40% difference I would get another quote. I would also get references from them of simular jobs atleast a year old. Ensure load calcs are provided. Longer warranty on labor specially, is a plus.

NATE is our foremost reconized certifcation program. It gave those of us that take our profession serious, a standard to go by, and our customers confidence. When I got certified in 04 their was a 60% passing rate. Nate has helped to raise our industries education standards.
    In an industry that has no special training required. Where anyone (in Oregon) can wake up on Monday, take a 16 hr course on general contracting, pass an "open book" test on Tuesday afternoon that has nothing to do with HVAC, get licensed and be installing systems Wednesday morning. I would say its something that we all need..
    If you think our goverment is screwed up. You haven't lived in another country.

Been trying like he;; to get all the Guys Nate Certs. Got a member here that will proctor the testing. have some that are already. Have all the other stuff listed and then some.
    Some of my Competitors have the Nate patches and stuff, but they proctor their own tests in house. GO figure.

Wow, wasn't expecting such a big response!

It may also be worth mentioning that I've done repair/maintenance with both companies in the past and have not had any issues.

I believe A is larger than B, but neither are little mom and pop places. They both have a decent presence in the area.

Neither did a full load test, just took a bunch of measurements. Based on windows size and angle to sun came up with a 3.5 ton. Which is what I currently have. After reading some other posts here I guess that is a red flag. My neighbor has a slightly smaller house with less window area and I think their unit is a 3 ton, so their assessment seemed correct to me.

I don't plan on having this house forever, probably around 5 more years. So the lower price is definitely tempting, but obviously I want it done right and don't want additional costs to creep in over time.

I'll definitely spend some more time researching both places and will be calling a 3rd place for an additional estimate tomorrow.

You guys have been very helpful, thanks!

Good luck burn54. Don't discount mom & poppers. The good ones are out there. A good small company has flexibility a good large company has a a a hmm any help here guys?

Quote Originally Posted by Stamas View Post
    Some of my Competitors have the Nate patches and stuff, but they proctor their own tests in house. GO figure.
    Thats against NATE rules. And unless its changed, all the tests are sent back for scoring, the proctors don't have answer sheets. The proctors here are our distributers. They can pull the part off the shelf correctly 85% of the time, but thats about it. Not saying that theirs no way around the system though.

Proctor Requirements

Our only requirements for becoming a NATE Proctor are:
    •You gain approval from NATE by submitting a Proctor Application.
    •You are a “disinterested party,” defined as someone who: ◦Is not a relative of any candidate in the testing session.
    ◦Will not receive direct financial gain from the outcome of any candidate’s testing.
    ◦Is not the employer or a co-worker who can hire or fire any candidate in the testing session.
    ◦Has not provided training for any of the candidates testing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tempted View Post
    At a 40% difference I would get another quote. I would also get references from them of simular jobs atleast a year old. Ensure load calcs are provided. Longer warranty on labor specially, is a plus.

NATE is our foremost reconized certifcation program. It gave those of us that take our profession serious, a standard to go by, and our customers confidence. When I got certified in 04 their was a 60% passing rate. Nate has helped to raise our industries education standards.
    In an industry that has no special training required. Where anyone (in Oregon) can wake up on Monday, take a 16 hr course on general contracting, pass an "open book" test on Tuesday afternoon that has nothing to do with HVAC, get licensed and be installing systems Wednesday morning. I would say its something that we all need..
    Many states have the same criteria to qualify to perform HVAC.

Sad but true.

Good luck burn54. Don't discount mom & poppers. The good ones are out there. A good small company has flexibility a good large company has a a a hmm any help here guys?

Thats against NATE rules. And unless its changed, all the tests are sent back for scoring, the proctors don't have answer sheets. The proctors here are our distributers. They can pull the part off the shelf correctly 85% of the time, but thats about it. Not saying that theirs no way around the system though.

Proctor Requirements

Our only requirements for becoming a NATE Proctor are:
    •You gain approval from NATE by submitting a Proctor Application.
    •You are a “disinterested party,” defined as someone who: ◦Is not a relative of any candidate in the testing session.
    ◦Will not receive direct financial gain from the outcome of any candidate’s testing.
    ◦Is not the employer or a co-worker who can hire or fire any candidate in the testing session.
    ◦Has not provided training for any of the candidates testing.
    Each of these criteria, is correct and IMHO have never agreed with and does allow for the integrity of the process to be impugned.

NATE is our foremost reconized certifcation program. It gave those of us that take our profession serious.
    See crap like this is why I don't like nate, "some" folks that become nate certified think they have the right to put themselves above others. Well I am not nate certified, and I take our profession very serious! and I also Love what I do. Might want to check into nate and see if they have a nate certification for spelling, that will probably be under nate certification for proper invoicing.
    __________________________________________________ _______________________
    “Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards". - Vernon Law

"Never let success go to your head, and never let failure go to your heart". - Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Bill View Post
    See crap like this is why I don't like nate, "some" folks that become nate certified think they have the right to put themselves above others. :
    LOL I guess my poor spelling side tracked you into feeling inferior. Cause you missed the point.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast