Hussmann Aluminum Coils

What is the best way to repair a hussmann aluminum coil? Anyone used any of the epoxy's to repair these? Just wondering I have never soldered on aluminum.

i solder them with aluminum rod

I have used red epoxy. It worked fine. I have soldered aluminum. Messy as heck but it works. I'd go with the epoxy.

We use heat-seal stik from la-co. Works great.

Hussmann includes aluminum coil repair info in their I&O manuals. Here's an example:

REPAIRING ALUMINUM COIL
    The aluminum coils used in Hussmann merchandisers
    may be easily repaired in the field. Materials are available from local refrigeration wholesalers.

Hussmann recommends the following solders and
    technique:

Solders
    Aladdin Welding Products Inc.
    P.O. Box 7188
    1300 Burton St.
    Grand Rapids, MI 49507
    Phone: 1-800-645-3413
    Fax: 1-800-645-3414

X-Ergon
    1570 E. Northgate
    P.O. Box 2102
    Irving, TX 75062
    Phone: 1-800-527-9916

NOTE:
    Hussmann Aluminum melts at 1125F (607C)
    Aladdin 3-in-1 rod at 732F (389C)
    X-Ergon Acid core at 455F (235C)

Technique:
    1. Locate Leak.
    2. REMOVE ALL PRESSURE.
    3. Brush area UNDER HEAT.
    4. Use PRESTOLITE TORCH ONLY. Number 6 tip.
    5. Maintain separate set of stainless steel brushes and USE ONLY ON ALUMINUM.
    6. Tin surface around area.
    7. Brush tinned surface UNDER HEAT, thoroughly filling the open pores around leak.
    8. Repair leak. Let aluminum melt solder, NOT the torch.
    9. Don't repair for looks. Go for thickness.
    10. Perform a leak check.
    11. Wash with water.
    12. Cover with a good flexible sealant.

I have used Alum rods. Takes a little getting used to cause the heat is so much lower than the brazing we normally do. Use a propane torch and don't overheat.

Keep in mind hussmann coils have a 5 year warranty. I have changed more than a handfull in the service meat/deli cases and the produce cases also. They leak like a screen door,

Quote Originally Posted by badgerland01 View Post
    Keep in mind hussmann coils have a 5 year warranty. I have changed more than a handfull in the service meat/deli cases and the produce cases also. They leak like a screen door,

This is the problem, why can't they come up with something that doesn't have so many issues and is less likely to corrode. Maybe a 309 Stainless. Oh forgot then they wouldn't sell any coils. I think these aluminum coils are very sh**y. I am dealing with a 1 year old svc meat case that we have repaired with epoxy on 6 different coils. At the very least use copper it seems much more capable of handling the svc mt cases corrosiveness. 309 stainless is not that much more expensive and who cares if it lasts. We are waiting for the replacements to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss78 View Post
    This is the problem, why can't they come up with something that doesn't have so many issues and is less likely to corrode. Maybe a 309 Stainless. Oh forgot then they wouldn't sell any coils. I think these aluminum coils are very sh**y. I am dealing with a 1 year old svc meat case that we have repaired with epoxy on 6 different coils. At the very least use copper it seems much more capable of handling the svc mt cases corrosiveness. 309 stainless is not that much more expensive and who cares if it lasts. We are waiting for the replacements to arrive.
    I saw problems with this from the start. but this goes back years to old 5 deck frozen food cases with a primary aluminum coil, not quite as bad as the hussmann impact coils. The best repair is to replace the coil, deli acids and aluminum dont mix if you have one pin hole the next one will show up soon. Ive seen sucessful repairs with the aluminum rod solder.

Stainless coil would be great but the cost...its all about the $$$

If the leak is on a straight section,do not solder it! Buy two tap-a - lines the correct size,throw away the parts with the needles,make a clamp.You can also use better gasket and epoxy for insurance.Have done this 3 times works great!

Found lots of leaks where the u bends meet up with the supporting brackets. also found leaks were the aluminum meets the epoxy black joints on the outlets of the txv's.

HTS 2000
    Officially, Down for the count

YOU HAVE TO GET OFF YOUR ASS TO GET ON YOUR FEET

I know enough to know, I don't know enough
    Liberalism-Ideas so good they mandate them