Thread: Rudd and Rheem

Rudd and Rheem

Hello, I am trying to decide on a contractor and equipment to replace a 20 year old HVAC system in a rental property. I don't need high end features like multiple speed blowers etc. so I am OK with basic equipment but I do want and am willing to pay for good quality and high efficiency. The way I see it good quality / warranty = less headaches for me and high effieciency = happier tenants and that is just the right thing to do. I have been getting quotes for 95% furnace / 13 SEER AC. Here in my town most contractors are recommending Rheem but one is recommending Rudd. Are they really the same? I know the model numbers are identical and I have heard they would be identical if both had their badges removed you couldn't tell the difference. Is that true?

Also the warranties concern me. Rheem website says the furnace HX lifetime will drop to 20 year if not installed in primary residence. All other aspect of the warranties do not matter if the residence is primary or not so long as it is residential. When I go to Rudd website I cannot find any language about primary residence vs. rental, etc. Obviously I want to keep the 10 yrs parts warranties in force at the rental if I can.

THanks for any help and this is a cool site!

. Good quality Here in my

product wise, their isn't any difference in my view.

warranty, beats me.

give the guys some time they'll be on in here to enlighten everyone.
    It`s better to be silent and thought the fool; than speak and remove all doubt.

Rheem and Ruud are 100% identical.

I don't recall the register page asking if it is a rental. Some mfrs do specifiy that their 10 year parts don't apply to rentals but I don't think Rheem is one of them. Also hard to police. As for 20 year heat exchanger if not primary home, again hard to police plus few people will pay to replace a HX on a 20+ year old furnace.

So Rudd is identical to Rheem, that is good to know. Thanks for the insight everyone. Assuming the warranties are also identical and I can get the 10 yrs parts I am comfortable going with Rudd. All I would really be giving up is name recognition as Rheem is well known around here but Rudd not so much. I don't plan to sell the house anytime soon so that really doesn't matter. Thanks again!

jovusun, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by WichitaGuy View Post
    Rheem is well known around here but Rudd not so much.
    Isn't YORK, Luxair and Coleman made in Wichita. Why not support your local economy

I don't know if Coleman is still making furnaces, and I don't know about Luxair, but York is made here for sure. Maybe the others also. You bring up a great point - but it isn't me that's picking the equipment neccesarily. Of the 5 quotes I have gotten one is Trane, 3 are Rheem and the other is Rudd, with model numbers that match the Rheem. I don't know if the local equipment is too expensive to compete or what.

Post model numbers of the proposed equipment and I can cross it to a similar YORK if you like.

OK not sure how I would go about finding a contractor that installs the York equipment but surely it is possible. Of course this ultimately comes down to cost but if equipment / warranties etc. were superior I could tolerate more cost. The Rheem furnace is RGRC07EMAES, AC compressor is 13AJN30A01, coil is RCFLHM3617

thx!

Standard line 95% single stage with builder model A/C and N coil. The A/C can be a bit noisy, 1 1/4 sides of it are blocked off so the fan is chopping for airflow. Sounds a bit like a helicopter. Rheem's A/Cs and coils are made in Mexico.

Wichita was Coleman's home. It is very much still made and the same as the York & Luxaire products. Not sure what all is still made there vs. Norman, Elyria (if they are still using it) and Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by BaldLoonie View Post
    Standard line 95% single stage with builder model A/C and N coil. The A/C can be a bit noisy, 1 1/4 sides of it are blocked off so the fan is chopping for airflow. Sounds a bit like a helicopter. Rheem's A/Cs and coils are made in Mexico.

Wichita was Coleman's home. It is very much still made and the same as the York & Luxaire products. Not sure what all is still made there vs. Norman, Elyria (if they are still using it) and Mexico.
    Elyria has been closed for years. Alll resi (Coleman, York and Lux) stuff is made in Wichita and commercial is in Norman. NO MORE MEXICO. All made here in the good old US of A. If it's just standard 95% AFUE and 13 SEER A/C, Yorks comp models would be TG9S gas furnace and YCJD A/C. I would think there would be a few YORK dealers in Wichita.

Thanks alot. I am going to get a new quote based on York equipment for comparision purposes. If made 100% in USA I would definately prefer to own it. If I can afford it

I can tell you that the unit is 100% made in america. I am sure there are a few components that come from elsewhere, but it 100% assembled and tested in your backyard. I found 11 dealers in Wichita and countless more within 50 miles. You can search at york.com.