Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Likes
    The solenoid is energized through harvest and I agree that this would only happen if the sheet is thin. If you read my earlier post, you will see I mentioned checking the adjustment on the ice thickness sensor. If it is too thin then the harvest assist will push and split it down the middle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Post Likes
    my suggestion is tell customer you can get him a good Manitowoc to replace his crappy scotsman. code 8 is the most common error code and hardest to correct. poor design on scotsman. i went to training course on the prodigy. when it was over i thought"well im not going to promote this crap will stick with manitowoc" the trainer looked at me and smiled as if he agreed.

Post Likes
    Reviving an old thread:

My Scotsman Prodigy was randomly shutting off and displaying the flashing "2" code (Max Harvest: Retrying).
    I observed it's operation and noticed the harvest assist pin was not retracting during the freeze cycle.
    Sometimes it would drop ice, others it would not, triggering the code.
    The pin should push out on the ice when the solenoid is energized, and retract via a spring when de-engergized.
    This was not happening.

I ordered the replacement solenoid.

Now for the fun part: I rigged the solenoid up with a thick rubber band which created the same effect as the spring, retracting the pin after harvest.
    Low and behold, it has made ice perfectly for 2 days.

The new part should be in tomorrow.

Thanks for this forum.

Post Likes
    New part came today, will install shortly.

Post Likes
    New design, I like it.

Post Likes
    New part arrived today. Mine was NOT involved in the recall.
    New part installed easily and time from harvest begin to end is exactly 45 seconds.
    This is quicker than what I remember it being before.
    New design, works nicely.

I would definitely look at the harvest assist if you are getting the flashing 2 code.

Old part, and new part installed with and without cover:

Trying to post pictures but I don't have enough posts, I'm new.
    I guess it will wait.

Post Likes
    Old part:

New part:

Post Likes
    Hey guys, new member here trying to fix our Prodigy at work.

We get the code #2. Visually we cannot see the plunger try to move so pretty sure the solenoid is bad. There is voltage to the solenoid plug during the harvest cycle.

What I'm confused about is exactly how the Harvest Assist solenoid functions. I know its intended use is to help push the ice off the grid. I see a small hole near the center but when I manually push the plunger on the solenoid nothing pops out on the grid. Looking inside the hole it appears the plunger from the solenoid is not lined up with the hole at all. Is this normal or is that a problem? This machine did work great before we started getting the #2 code. TIA for any help you can offer!

Post Likes
    The harvest assist should energize at the beginning of the harvest cycle, pushing the pin against the slab of ice on the evaporator.
    Once the ice releases, the plunger pushes the ice of the grid, the solenoid should de-energize, and a spring should retract the pin
    to it's resting position, behind the evaporator. That wasn't happening on mine because the spring broke. The pin would then get frozen "into"
    the next batch of ice and keeping it from falling off the evaporator. This, after enough time, shuts the machine down.

I would remove the solenoid and check to see if it still operates properly. It should pop out with power, and retract automatically without.
    If you have to push it either way, it needs to be replaced.

Re-install and be sure it's lined up.

Let us know how it works out for you.

I just did this 6 weeks ago so it's still fresh in my mind.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by JRussell View Post
    Hey guys, new member here trying to fix our Prodigy at work.

We get the code #2. Visually we cannot see the plunger try to move so pretty sure the solenoid is bad. There is voltage to the solenoid plug during the harvest cycle.

What I'm confused about is exactly how the Harvest Assist solenoid functions. I know its intended use is to help push the ice off the grid. I see a small hole near the center but when I manually push the plunger on the solenoid nothing pops out on the grid. Looking inside the hole it appears the plunger from the solenoid is not lined up with the hole at all. Is this normal or is that a problem? This machine did work great before we started getting the #2 code. TIA for any help you can offer!
    Replace it...

Solenoid is long gone now...they use a gear motor mechanism similar to ice o Matic.

Also...make sure evap isn't scaled up and make sure everything else is ok.
    Is the ice actually thick enough? Too thin ice will cause a max harvest as well

Post Likes
    I'm having the same issue, except my ice sheet is getting split vertically, the left larger portion falls while the smaller portion on the right stays and refreezes during freeze cycle, I've adjusted ice thickness to near max and cleaned ice machine using cleaner but ice still breaks, it's as if the push try's to push ice before it has released from grid... Any suggestions?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Young View Post
    I'm having the same issue, except my ice sheet is getting split vertically, the left larger portion falls while the smaller portion on the right stays and refreezes during freeze cycle, I've adjusted ice thickness to near max and cleaned ice machine using cleaner but ice still breaks, it's as if the push try's to push ice before it has released from grid... Any suggestions?
    Check the evaporator. If you see little black spots that means the plating on your evaporator has came off. When the plating comes off in some cases it allows your cubes to stick/hang on. You have problems with harvest. One time I spent a lot of time playing with the ice thickness sensor back and forth then I found out about the evap coil issue. Just something else you can check.

Post Likes
    Thanks man, I spent all day on that machine, I adjusted probe, cleaned machine and water distribution components, I didn't know about the spots though, I'm glad I joined this forum now. Lol thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast