Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scotsman CME506AS ice machine "bin full?"

I have a Scotsman ice machine that I've been working on. It has the Auto IQ Controller with no fault codes. Only issue is the bin full indicator light is staying lit when the machine is not even producing ice at the moment. The machine won't even run. If I turn it off and power it back on it will attempt the harvest cycle for about 1-2 minutes and shuts down. I cleaned the bin sensors with ice machine cleaner and the bin full light is still lit. Is there a way to test the sensors or how exactly do you check them? I know they are supposed to be replaced together. Thanks for any help.

Did you remove the eyes to clean them ? Also the wires on the sensors could be the issue.

Yup. Pulled the assembly out and cleaned it good with cleaner. Is there a certain way to check continuity on those sensors?

Not that I'm aware of. You can test the float switch but that's not your problem. I looked in the service manual and only found how to clean them. Maybe another member will chime in to enlighten us.

Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Change them

Quote Originally Posted by pecmsg View Post
    Change them
    x2

I'd personally only had occasional success with cleaning them too. When the sensors failed, they either did the constant BIN FULL indication <or> a far less common situation when they wouldn't react properly to ice falling between them - which you can observe by the BIN FULL light flickering during harvest.

After ensuring they're properly cleaned with ice machine cleaner (which is a mild acid to remove lime deposits) and rinsed with water, installed fully seated where they mount and the signal wire plugs properly connected to the control module...if it's still acting up, replace them.

I got to where I always kept replacements in my service van.
    ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° ° °

"You never know what others don't know." -

If I can't laugh at myself...then I'll laugh at YOU! -

Saw the same thing in the service manual. Just cleaning instructions. I have a set on order. I don't normally do a lot of refrigeration work, mostly commercial roof tops and chillers. Wanted to make sure I wasn't overlooking something. Thanks for the replies.

I might try that camera trick just to see if I get anything. Thanks for pointing that out. Much appreciated.

That pic was with a older flip phone
    For some reason I think I tried it again with a smart phone and didn't get the same effect
    Could you try it and get back?

Quote Originally Posted by itsiceman View Post
    That pic was with a older flip phone
    For some reason I think I tried it again with a smart phone and didn't get the same effect
    Could you try it and get back?
    Sure thing. I'll let you know what I come up with.

Does it have a bin stat?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast