+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: turning in notice on monday

Post Likes
    I didnt say I enjoyed it, but honestly it wasnt bad. I was first on the job and last to go. I was also sore on monday, lol.

Post Likes
    well working out my notice ,no counter offer, no get out now just why areyou goimg?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chillerout1 View Post
    well working out my notice ,no counter offer, no get out now just why areyou goimg?
    Cool Beans...works out for everyone...
    Technical incompetence is NOT a sales tool....

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by chillerout1 View Post
    Darn, I was hoping for some sort of confrontation. Wait till he sleeps on it, or talks to someone, I am sure her can get some drama out of this.
    I STARTED WITH NOTHING, AND I STILL HAVE MOST OF IT!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by allstar08 View Post
    Darn, I was hoping for some sort of confrontation. Wait till he sleeps on it, or talks to someone, I am sure her can get some drama out of this.
    Was thinking the same thing. It's not over yet. It is sad how we think.
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Post Likes
    That is a best case scenario. you make some money for two weeks, and hopefully leave on a good note. In asnwer to their question, I would recommend telling them gently but honestly. You never know in this business when you just might go back there. Leaving on a high note is both recommended and smart.

When I left my former employer, they tried to get me to come back for a long time, knowing how hard it is to start a business. Never once did I go after their clinets, which left an open door back at any time. They now do sub work for me, but if all hell broke loose, I am confident I could still go back. When I turned in my truck, it had all of their tooling in it. They actually called me surprised, half thinking I would take it to start my biz, the other half pizzed off I didnt, cause then they had to clean it out and inventory the tooling.

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by jnsrose View Post
    Was thinking the same thing. It's not over yet. It is sad how we think.
    Or, maybe the OP is a good and decent guy, who worked for a good and decent employer who just couldn't afford to keep him.

And, they get to part on good terms and a handshake.

Post Likes
    Thats my thought. it may be he is one of those owners who is trying very hard to hold on to what he has, and one guy leaving helps everyone else, ....for now. This economy still sucks for many out there. Cashflow is horrible, work is slow, benefits payments have gone up again. Carrying that extra man can be tough. leaving on a high note could be beneficial to both parties.

Post Likes
    OK John
    my top ten list
    1 Wages bennifits
    2 Work life balance ( while I like to work and provide for my family I do not want to be working all kinds of hours or nights weekends frequently - occasionaly ok I also don't want to be at home wit no work for slow periods
    3 NO MICRO MANAGING seriously
    4 Don't expect me to pay for parts/ biz expenses/ parking parking tickets and take 6 weeks to get around to issuing a reimbursement cheque
    5 if there is a possibility please accept I'd like some input on the vehicle you are providing me to use
    6 tools - a reasonable amount is expected to cover wear n tear and don't expect me to share vaccume pumps fall arrest harness hard hats ear protection etc
    7 GPS - sure its your truck but if you are going to put in gps at least put in a unit that has maps n stuff so I can use it too
    8 remove the stick out of your butt sure your the boss but arn't we supposed to be a team and dont tell us the company isn't making money so no bonuses or wage rises then next week show off your new truck/boat/trailer/trip/vacation home/trophy wife
    9 utilise technology to make my life easier not harder
    10 understand that I do support a family and sometimes I will need time off at short notice for family stuff try to be accomodating
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    OK John
    my top ten list
    1 Wages bennifits
    2 Work life balance ( while I like to work and provide for my family I do not want to be working all kinds of hours or nights weekends frequently - occasionaly ok I also don't want to be at home wit no work for slow periods
    4 Don't expect me to pay for parts/ biz expenses/ parking parking tickets and take 6 weeks to get around to issuing a reimbursement cheque
    5 if there is a possibility please accept I'd like some input on the vehicle you are providing me to use
    6 tools - a reasonable amount is expected to cover wear n tear and don't expect me to share vaccume pumps fall arrest harness hard hats ear protection etc
    7 GPS - sure its your truck but if you are going to put in gps at least put in a unit that has maps n stuff so I can use it too
    8 remove the stick out of your butt sure your the boss but arn't we supposed to be a team and dont tell us the company isn't making money so no bonuses or wage rises then next week show off your new truck/boat/trailer/trip/vacation home/trophy wife
    10 understand that I do support a family and sometimes I will need time off at short notice for family stuff try to be accomodating
    Fair Enough

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by The Penguin View Post
    OK John
    my top ten list
    1 Wages bennifits
    Just taking it out of context and not knowing your work ethic, this sounds like every other "i'm the best tech" out there asking "what are you gonna give me?" Meanwhile you end up costing the company more that you make and for the boss it makes it hard to keep you. Too many techs out there want 150% and are willing to give 75% on their best day. Once you own the business and it's YOUR money thats being thrown around, your attitude will change.

I used to be the same guy, i wanted this and that and acted like it was entitled to me. It wasnt.

Now that i run the business, i see how employees will take advantage of certain benefits. Using cell phone for personal calls, filling up your truck with gas on Friday afternoon and being out of gas constituting another fillup on Tuesday morning. Bi&ching about taking calls after 2pm, then when you get there, calling in to say you dont have a tool that you are expected to have so you cant do the job. Either that or having to be walked through every repair but expect journeyman pay. Would you have an issue with continually paying someone like that?

There are certain ones i agree with though, reimbursement should be swift and there should be no need for an employee to put out money anyway. Parking tickets are on you-i didnt break the parking law, you did. When you are assigned a truck you agree to operate AND PARK it in a manner that complies with law. Work/life balance-Absolutely...Family emergencies-go handle your business. Input on a truck? Not sure what you mean. Micromanaging? From my example above, you dont think its necessary? Not for everyone, just some.

Understand again, i dont know you personally or your work ethic, you're probably not the type of tech i described. All im saying is that this ranting sounds like a lot of techs ive met who, lets just say, go on a lot of interviews.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Post Likes
    HEy Dan didn't mean it for you to take it that way
    let me say that i really understand that every month, every job the company HAS to make a profit or I'm out the door so when I see the company has marked up a $10 belt to $45 I get it they have to cover the overhead + make a profit for the share holders ( that may be 1 guy that may be a whole pile of share holders) I also know I have to produce - that is find stuff to fix find stuff to replace or I will be sitting at home longer I know I have to meet the companys expectations of 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 that is for every hour of maint contracts I have I need to find 2 hrs or 3 hours of recomended repairs/installs/service calls -

as far as parking is concerned in downtown areas driving an overheight vehicle = street parking and where I am the parking enforcement officers are total jerks - not only do they measure how far away you are from the curb ( over 12 inchs=ticket) outside the lines, or an inch into a yellow curb=ticket plus they chalk your tyre and write the time ( commercial you can re meter ONCE ) and you get a ticket max time on a block is 3 hrs - if you get there before 9am you can park till 11am - so even the most carefull will get a parking ticket

input on a truck = some say on what kind of vehicle are you supplying next time you decide to replace the service truck it does not mean I tell you what to buy I mean if you are deciding between a van or pickup truck or full sized vs midsized ask me what I'd prefer

Lastly tools I always have whats req but Ive had an employer expecting me to buy vac pumps leak detectors reclaim etc pay the deposit on exchange tanks nitrogen/acetylene tanks have my own 6ft ladder essentially provide every possible tool req but not willing to pay for broken worn or maint of tools and equipment

Mircro managing - yes I have a cell/blackberry but is it necessary to send me constant emails asking questions then sending more emails within 5 mins asking if I got the other email and if so why havn't I responded yet and do this all day
    www.vetopropac.com - The best tool bags on the market - The offical tool bag of choice by techs everywhere

Arguing with some people is like wrestling a pig - eventually you realise the pig actually enjoys it

Gonads serve a useful purpose but are no substitute for brains

Post Likes
    OK, now i see more of what you were going through and it makes more sense why you had concerns. I mean paying for vacuum pumps reclaim cylinders etc is just madness. Ive had my guy pick up little things at supply houses that we dont frequent or wont take my card over the phone but thats a once in a blue moon thing and they are always reimbursed that day or within the next couple when i see that guy again.

As far as the parking, i can see what you mean. Over-height? do you drive a Sprinter or something? I personally would have the customer provide parking or factor in a parking lot into the calls i do there.
    Every customer you take for granted today will be someone else's tomorrow.

Post Likes
    I know you must have started your new job by now, how did the remainder of you stay at your old company go and how do you like the new job? Is it everything you thought it would be or are you sorry you left.
    RSES Member.
    Mainstream Engineering Certified.
    HVAC/R PM Technician.
    410A, & GREEN HVAC/R Technician.
    Indoor Air Quality Master Technician.
    NATE Core.
    Working not as to please men but to the Glory of Christ my KING.

Post Likes
    nope not sorry I left,miss a couple of the guys there, new job is working out good lot of work no body calling or shadowing me to make sure im working minimum paperwork

Post Likes
    Good for you, I am glad it is working out for you.
    RSES Member.
    Mainstream Engineering Certified.
    HVAC/R PM Technician.
    410A, & GREEN HVAC/R Technician.
    Indoor Air Quality Master Technician.
    NATE Core.
    Working not as to please men but to the Glory of Christ my KING.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in