Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    A hot chcik in the office is usually a bad idea. makes guy want to go there more often, make up excuses to do so. makes them want to call in more than necessary in an effort to be on her good side, again time waster. dispatcher should be little old lady with false teeth. its not like a bar where you need hot chick bartenders to get constuction guys to come spend money at lunch.
    to me, a few things to keep guys happy are...newer vehicle not going to break down or junk up their home, phone that works well, direct deposit if they want it, plenty of hours if they want it, treated fair, paid well, training when needed, working on new tech stuff sometimes to keep them up to date, recognition at end of year or sooner if company is doing well, after all without manpower its hard to make money. a good workforce is part of the profit package.

Quote Originally Posted by akelesis View Post
    I was promised an apprenticeship from a company for working there for almost 3 yrs doing a good job. (well i was not preforming a great job but they were happy that i was doing what i did to improve the company) getting sales and all that jazz) and unfortunetly the heating season kicked up again and they hired 3 guys and i was the one that was training them to do the pms (resi) (the boss said i was a very good influecence upon customers and myboss wanted to show them how the company expects from their employees) so i was mentioning to the freshly new hired employees, how i was about to get an apprenticeship soon probably in a few months and how i am excited to finally get a chance to do it....

2 of the 3 guys go behind my back and say they will not stay if they don't get offered an apprenticeship.. so of course i got put on the back burner and they did the apprenticeship because the company thought i would stay because i was treated good ...

i was very pissed off about the whole thing. so i asked them about doing something different o top of the normal stuff i was doing reg. and they kinda refused because they said that i was not capable of preforming this without any prior knowledge and they said i do really good at what im doing now and they wanted me to go into doing installs instead of going into service and of course i had many yrs under my belt doing installs as a helper so i was golden candiate for that. but i did not want that opportunity (most of the time Installers dont become service techs if they dont start doing service first. so i decided to look for another company that can offer that to me. but i still stayed at the company knowing that hrs were there and i liked where i was excpet for gaining more knowledge in the service part of it.

so they both get out of school and are excited about having a chance to do resi ac's. not even a month goes by and i heard thru someone else that they both got offered at a huge company and how they both gave in their 2 week notices. one of the two guys burned the bridges and stormed out of the office. a month or two goes by and we are in the ac season and they are kinda short on ac techs and at that time i found a company that was willing to teach me service and put me into the apprenticeship for commerical ac roof tops. so i advised my company at the time that if you do not offer me more then im leaving because i dont want to stay here if im not going to be moving up. they did offer me the apprenticeship but it felt like i was being lied to so i say i cannot accept the offer and here is my 2 week notice. i think i only worked for that first week and they said on friday night for me to pack in my truck and go. work was getting slow and they wanted the hrs to be given to someone else.. but my other company wasnt ready for me so i was out of work for a week (good thing was they still paid me for it thinking maybe i would change my mind) and i did not burn any bridges but i was very sad to go good friends and bosses that were only looking out for their company and i fully understand. unfortunetly the recession hit about 6 months later and my old job position was taken and i was still without an apprenticeship and now without a job. which was a thing that i was ready to deal with (i hit depression) staying home not doing anything getting fat and lazy. lucky i found a job maybe 6 months later but it wasnt the job that i would have applied for if i wanted to. only because i needed to get out of my bad piece of mind and surprisingly they offtered me an apprenticeship at a very low wage compared to what i was use to... so i completed the apprenticeship and i get back to work and my boss gives me a 30 cent raise and tells me that im only worth this much because... i threw the 30 cent raise in his face and left soo fast thinking that i would get offered some good job somewhere where i was appreciated but i wasnt out of work (doing side jobs for a bit passing by still not having a full time job) and i get into a company that sees me as a potential tech with a willingness to learn so they take me on but of course at a low rate at what im use to but at least now its at a rate that can pay rent and other stuff and very little left over. in the next years i did get a pay raise but not that much but at least its not a shot in the face. its an acceptable pay raise

3 yrs later im still at the same company and i always think im worth more but... in my head im afraid to switch just because i dont want to be screwed like that again.... This is a very big eye opener for me as a tech and i think this stuff happens all the time.... so when you think its always greener on the other side maybe it isnt what its cracked up to be. and now i feel i should have still working at that same company that i was at before.... wonder where i would be in my life if i just accepted that apprenticeship in the first place....but i think i would still be doing 313D resi apprenticeship instead of the commerical 313 A what do u all think about my story.....? and do you think that i made the right decision? I am now a 3rd year apprentice working towards my final year in a year or so. not getting paid as close as i would like but happy to be at where i am at.
    Very long sad story. Sounds like you let your feelings make the decision for you. Never leave a company because you are pissed off. Greed is a bad modivator. I thought in the union they had to offer an apprenticeship after 6 months?
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

Quote Originally Posted by air2spare View Post
    That's some funny sh&&t!!
    You need to put the phone down and get back to work!

I wouldn't mind some training, any training. Maybe they don't think I need it? Yeah, right... They just want me to pay for it. Sorry, boss, I don't have an extra $1800 right now.

But other than that, why leave? The same job, different truck. The devil you know's better than the one you don't. Grass is always greener, blah, blah, blah... I'm out of cliches.

#1 a good reliable work van.
    #2 a boss who is understanding and knowledgeable about the work I do.
    #3 fair and even distribution of work.
    #4 family comes first policy. (meaning if there is a problem at home I can attend to it without persecution or penalty.)
    #5 Good day's pay for a good day's work.
    #6 training
    There are more but these are the biggies.
    Never give up; Never surrender!

Quote Originally Posted by jnsrose View Post
    Very long sad story. Sounds like you let your feelings make the decision for you. Never leave a company because you are pissed off. Greed is a bad modivator. I thought in the union they had to offer an apprenticeship after 6 months?
    Yeah, but you can be a "truck driver" for a looong time.

Quote Originally Posted by flange View Post
    A hot chcik in the office is usually a bad idea. makes guy want to go there more often, make up excuses to do so. makes them want to call in more than necessary in an effort to be on her good side, again time waster. dispatcher should be little old lady with false teeth. its not like a bar where you need hot chick bartenders to get constuction guys to come spend money at lunch.
    to me, a few things to keep guys happy are...newer vehicle not going to break down or junk up their home, phone that works well, direct deposit if they want it, plenty of hours if they want it, treated fair, paid well, training when needed, working on new tech stuff sometimes to keep them up to date, recognition at end of year or sooner if company is doing well, after all without manpower its hard to make money. a good workforce is part of the profit package.
    Only forgot one thing, flexibility when dealing with family or personal health issues.

sooooooooooooooo?

no hot chick???????

I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

Bad idea. lets just say it got me in trouble at a former employer or two......

pray tell?

Bad idea. lets just say it got me in trouble at a former employer or two......
    I WILL SELL WORK,GENERATE BUSINESS, GO GET NEW CUSTOMERS!
    YOU SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT RUNNING YOUR MOUTH!

Quote Originally Posted by John Markl View Post
    Granted, there is a case to be made, that if an employer offers you a hefty raise upon notice, then they must feel that you are worth more than you were being paid.

But that may not always be the case. I've never hired a guy from another company for "more money". Because, if "more money" is all that motivates him, he'll be moving along soon enough.
    Thats my point. You offer an exiting employee a substantial raise, you are basically admitting you were hosing them. The employer then burns the bridge. Don't think the other guys won't find out either. And I mean about the offer to stay AND what the guy left to go make. It kinda goes too, to that rule bout not discussing wages among each other. ALL people do it, no matter if their exists a rule or not.

EVERYONE, including the employer, is looking for more money. Let's not be coy about it. You wouldn't get into business, if it wasn't better money. We WORK to make money. We are ALWAYS looking for a better deal. Always.

cliff notes version....she was unhappy that I didnt want to see her anymore, called corporate and made up some stuff to try to get me fired. made the bosses squirm, and of course poo rolled downhill. I heard an earfull, had to apologize for things that didnt happen or risk losing my job. At the time, I actually cared, thinking it was a lifetime job so I ate crowe. blamed me for stealing her access key to the office to try to make it look like I was going to steal stuff after entering on her card after hours.
    Everyone knew there were cameras, so it wasnt like I would be that dumb, had my own card. Besides, what was there ot actually steal? controls? fittings? please.

Having not worked in HVAC yet, but having experince in the work world...

#1 is a good, HONEST, and fair boss. Who wants to work for a lying, pri**?
    #2 Decent pay. I am not talking about BIG money. Just fair pay, that we both can agree on.
    #3 Good people to work with. A pri** co-worker is just as miserable as a pri** boss.
    #4 Whatever the company provides (van, tools, phone, whatever), buy QUALITY not junk that makes doing my job harder. Take care of your stuff too. If I tell you it is broke, or about to break, fix it. Don't wait until it breaks on me causing ME to go to alot more effort to fix all the extra (or clean up a mess), even if you are paying me to do it. It makes me look like a fool, as well as you.
    #5 I don't ask/beg for raises. I don't come crying over every little thing. Communicate with me. Show your appreciation once in awhile. You can talk to me without needing to be on a high horse. Don't make the job awash with tension that must be cut with a knife. Don't treat me stupid, call me a dumba**, or other assorted nasty names. I wil do the same in kind.
    #6 Don't tell me to do something that you refuse to help with. If the task is something that is "beneath" you, I lose respect for you. When I need help, get me help, even if that help is you, the boss. Getting dirt under your fingernails won't kill you, I promise.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast