Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Wind and Ladders

So it is very windy here in WNY today. We get a no heat call at high building. I have nice new 32' extension ladder that cost the company $775. I advise my boss of the conditions and what happened the last time ( that's why I have the new ladder). He said get another guy and fix it. So my partner and I are trying to set up this ladder in 45mph winds and I say f this. I call him back and say it is to dangerous, remember safety first! So he comes out to help. Wind is blowing like crazy, I said I am not going up in this you go. So he climes up while the two of us are holding the ladder. Sure enough a huge gust comes and he is about 10' up and it blows him like a sail and we can't stop it from falling. He was able to climb down a few steps before it totally went. Now he is hurt and my nice new ladder is cracked. I told him it was not worth it. Just get some temp heat and fix it on a better day.. What do you guys do?

Sent from my iPhone 4s
    using Tapatalk
    Join http://scopeny.org/ Shooter’s Committee on Political Education

The world is full of sheep,try not to join the flock.

Support the Skilled Trades, Don't DIY

Luckily for me, I don't work for those types of bosses anymore. This should have beeone of those learnig opportunities for him. Maybe the next time he'll trust your jugment.

When that little voice in your head says "walk away and do it another day" LISTEN!
    (experience is a hard teacher)
    Never give up; Never surrender!

I new it would be trouble. Not my first rodeo.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'm on your side. You made a good call.

I've found little in this trade to make me a hero.

When the boss turns out to be an idiot, it's time to move on.
    The views and opinions posted here are my own. They do not reflect the corporate policies of my employer and will most likely get me fired at some point.

Now you knew this was going to happen, yet you made no effort to video it for us to enjoy?

Don't take it wrong- hope the boss is ok, but he/you could use the video as a reminder and trainer.

What do I do? I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by engineerdave View Post
    When the boss turns out to be an idiot, it's time to move on.
    Or watch your six very closely.

Good call on letting him get hurt. Better him than you.
    UA LU189

10mm, because it's better than .45acp

45mph is no joke. id walk around the building to see if it cut down the gusts at all or see if i can lean it against something sturdy in the direction of the wind but I'm not certain id try it. id have be extremely certain little to no wind is gusting on that side ..... ive fallen from a ladder years ago from high up ... i finished up the repair, removed the bungee that secured it to the building & started to descend. the wind spun the ladder .. i was about 20' up .. rode the ladder like a surf board n jumped landing on my feet. but i was frozen in place the impact went up my spine .. after a minute i was ok & i got lucky i suppose ... few months ago the 50 yr old helper i sometimes get had gotten pulled to go fetch parts. he took his ladder down n put mine up but i was in the middle of a repair .. come to see he put it in the middle of the building not against anything. on my way down i almost repeated what happened years earlier ...

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by qwerty hvac View Post
    So it is very windy here in WNY today. We get a no heat call at high building. I have nice new 32' extension ladder that cost the company $775. I advise my boss of the conditions and what happened the last time ( that's why I have the new ladder). He said get another guy and fix it. So my partner and I are trying to set up this ladder in 45mph winds and I say f this. I call him back and say it is to dangerous, remember safety first! So he comes out to help. Wind is blowing like crazy, I said I am not going up in this you go. So he climes up while the two of us are holding the ladder. Sure enough a huge gust comes and he is about 10' up and it blows him like a sail and we can't stop it from falling. He was able to climb down a few steps before it totally went. Now he is hurt and my nice new ladder is cracked. I told him it was not worth it. Just get some temp heat and fix it on a better day.. What do you guys do?

Sent from my iPhone 4s
    using Tapatalk
    Typical boss..

Quote Originally Posted by walterc View Post
    Now you knew this was going to happen, yet you made no effort to video it for us to enjoy?

Don't take it wrong- hope the boss is ok, but he/you could use the video as a reminder and trainer.

What do I do? I don't.
    I would have loved to but I was to busy trying to hold the ladder. Lol

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hey, that's what bosses are for. Those who can't boss those who can!

If its not safe then I am not doing it. You cant get wrote up for following safety protocol.

You did the right thing in my book.
    If your not getting the results you desire then change. People change from either desperation or inspiration.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast