Looking for advice on heating and cooling

Hello. New to the site and have a question. I've been thinking about adding heating and air conditioning to my garage as I spend a lot of time working on my car. It's an integral (think that's how it's spelled) 2.5 car garage. There are no windows or outside doors except for the garage door. Currently I have a 30,000 BTU vent-less natural gas heater (with the thermostat controlled mini-fan) made by Kozy-World mounted to an interior wall. After about 3 hrs it will heat the garage to a somewhat comfortable working temperature. Down side is the horrible smell that goes along with it. It almost makes the garage, basement and first floor of my house smell like I'm running a kerosene torpedo heater. Being in the garage for too long usually gives me a headache (from the smell) and I end up shutting it off and going inside.

I've been thinking about having someone add a house type furnace and air conditioning unit in one of the rear corners and maybe running duct work down the center if the garage ceiling. Is this ok to do? Would you recommend gas or electric? Electric is pretty reasonable here so what ever you advise I'm open to. Air conditioning would be an added bonus also. Thanks, I look forward to hearing back!

Quote Originally Posted by impalabigblock View Post
    Hello. New to the site and have a question. I've been thinking about adding heating and air conditioning to my garage as I spend a lot of time working on my car. It's an integral (think that's how it's spelled) 2.5 car garage. There are no windows or outside doors except for the garage door. Currently I have a 30,000 BTU vent-less natural gas heater (with the thermostat controlled mini-fan) made by Kozy-World mounted to an interior wall. After about 3 hrs it will heat the garage to a somewhat comfortable working temperature. Down side is the horrible smell that goes along with it. It almost makes the garage, basement and first floor of my house smell like I'm running a kerosene torpedo heater. Being in the garage for too long usually gives me a headache (from the smell) and I end up shutting it off and going inside.
    Turn off that heater and don't use it until you have it checked properly.

Could be putting out lots of CO and could be very dangerous to you and yours

Quote Originally Posted by impalabigblock View Post
    I've been thinking about having someone add a house type furnace and air conditioning unit in one of the rear corners and maybe running duct work down the center if the garage ceiling. Is this ok to do? Would you recommend gas or electric? Electric is pretty reasonable here so what ever you advise I'm open to. Air conditioning would be an added bonus also. Thanks, I look forward to hearing back!
    Might want to consider a mini split heat pump

maybe a combo heat annd cool gas pack unit

Quote Originally Posted by small change View Post
    Turn off that heater and don't use it until you have it checked properly.

Could be putting out lots of CO and could be very dangerous to you and yours

Might want to consider a mini split heat pump

maybe a combo heat annd cool gas pack unit
    Thanks for the advice, I won't use it again. Heat & gas pack unit, mini split heat pump? I've never heard of that to be honest with you. Is there a site I can go to so I can read a little about it?

Quote Originally Posted by johnbeck1000 View Post
    I would go with a ductless split heatpump
    Thanks for the advice. Can you tell me a site that I can go to that explains what that is?

johnbeck1000, this is the Ask Our Pro's forum, and only Pro members that have been vetted by the AOPC may post advise here. Please apply to the AOPC today, thank you.

You can find the rules for posting and qualifications here.

Further infractions may result in loss of posting privileges.
    Contractor locator map

How-to-apply-for-Professional

How many times must one fix something before it is fixed?

What type of system depends on what you want and what you are willing to spend. I, like you spend hours in the shop, working on small block Mustangs. We share the same passion. A package unit works well if you have the needed space outside. Think commercial rooftop unit sitting on the ground, ductwork runs up the side (can be boxed for aesthetics). Keeps the equipment out of the shop which keeps it safe, cuts back on mechanical noise and affords options of gas/electric, heat pump or total electric. In my case, I have an attic mounted 80% gas furnace sistered with a split system AC. While mini spits are nice, if you are making any serious dust and or dirt, I would shy away. Any questions, just ask
    A good HVAC tech knows how, an educated HVAC tech knows why!

DEM

Thanks for the information. I have a collision repair shop that I do any "dirty work" on the cars at. I mainly use my home garage for re-assembly, cleaning and detailing. I definitely have space outside if needed. I don't want to spend a ton of cash, but I don't want to cheap out and regret it. In your opinion, in a garage, is electric heat a safer way to go? Thanks again for the info in your last post!