+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question for anyone who has worked on 3 or more continents.

Post Likes

Question for anyone who has worked on 3 or more continents.

Question for anyone who havs worked on 3 or more continents. How would you rank these manufacturers in chiller installs? Artic Cool, Carrier, Dunham-Bush, Hitachi, McQuay, Smardt, Trane and York. How do they really stack up? Dunham-Bush claims to be #4 globally, ahead of McQuay. Hitachi is popular in Asia. Smardt claims they are #5 globally.

Post Likes
    so 2 continents would mean 'unqualified'?
    "Right" is not the same as "Wise".

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    No, not really. Just trying to get a global perspective. Hitachi only has a presence on our side of the world in Brasil. Dunham-Bush is unwelcome in the U.S. McQuay is very popular abroad. So what do you think?

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanicallyInclined View Post
    No, not really. Just trying to get a global perspective. Hitachi only has a presence on our side of the world in Brasil. Dunham-Bush is unwelcome in the U.S. McQuay is very popular abroad. So what do you think?
    DB used to be very popular here (central US) about 40 years ago...don't know what happened to them around here.

the world is getting smaller all the time. are you speaking of 'installation', 'engineering', 'support', 'overall performance', 'quantity of machines installed'?

Don't step on my favorite part of the Constitution just to point out your favorite part.

Just because you can measure it, doesn't mean it is important. Just because you can't measure it, doesn't mean it isn't important.

Post Likes
    Sales, which would be based on how many chillers are installed globally. D-B's self-admitted U.S. market share is less than 1%!

Post Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by MechanicallyInclined View Post
    Sales, which would be based on how many chillers are installed globally. D-B's self-admitted U.S. market share is less than 1%!
    i would think that installation-based numbers would be very difficult to determine. if you worked on more than 1 continent, i would think that you would be working for a manufaturer. i think that may skew the numbers a bit!

Post Likes
    I worked for 2 manufacturers and they've both said they were no. 1 globally. I was started for another manufacturer, one that doesn't have a factory service, but that fell thru.

Post Likes
    Thru a contract a company had long ago I worked in 5 of the continents at our embassies abroad. I tried to go to Antartica during IGY in the Navy, just so I could grow a beard, but that fell thru. That would have made it 6 continents. My favorite of all was Australia. Dem' Aussies are great people, great workers and they love thier brew.
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

Post Likes
    When I was in the Navy, I heard nothing but good things about the Australians. Guys who had been there said they were very friendly and welcoming. Richard, what is IGY? The Navy also told me I could grow a beard. They lied! In fact, I still can't grow a respectable beard!

Post Likes
    IGY= International-Geophysical-Year
    It was set back in 1956 so that all nations could share the Continent of Antartica for research. Anyone serving there in the U.S. Navy was then allowed to keep thier beard if they wished for the remainder of thier tour of duty in the Navy. One had to have a 4.0 standing in the Navy to participate in the IGY. My 4.0 rating dropped when several of us divers stole a marine guardhouse up out of Norfolk. We sunk it in 100 fathoms. Today...the Marines still stand outside in the weather when assigned to that post....hehehehehehe They actually helped us load it on a flatbed thinking they was getting a new one. NOT!!!!
    Marines just don't get along with divers and CB's. I wonder why???
    Ain't "None" of us as smart as "All" of us..

11. Likes JeffWil liked this post.
    Post Likes
    Thanks, Richard. Your answer made me Google it out of curiosity. Looks like some interesting reading there. Great story about that guardhouse, haha. Oh well, this probably is not what the OP meant for this thread... .

Post Likes
    I think the question is irrelvant. What matters is whats available in that region, because someone has to install and service it. Meaning you need a factory trained service tech for most of those. Since most companies use outside contractors to service their equipment, you should "go local". Our company has pretty much stuck with Trane. Not because we think it's better equipment, but because we're comfortable with the level of service we get from them and the equipment line they have.

Our last 4 chillers we've purchased have been 2 or 3 stage trane centrifiguals. More efficient than the screws. But perhaps a little less foregiving when you have a problem.

Post Likes

Thumbs up

We've gone from chillers to guard houses at 100 fathoms and travel to 6 continents. This thread kept me smiling!
    -Surf Life Hard!!!-

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in