Hmm Vent for Majco Gas Fireplace

Moved into a completely renovated house and there's a Majco G336L (vented) propane gas fireplace in the house. A service guy came by from the local gas fireplace retailer and said that the fireplace wasn't venting properly (the fire goes out after a minute or so). Apparently whoever renovated the house had installed a simple range vent/hood instead of a real fireplace vent.

He said I need a "five-eight" vent. He checked and said that Majestic (which took over Majco) doesn't make those any more and he can't find a replacement.

I don't know what a "five-eight" vent is. Can someone explain that to me and give me leads as to where I might get one?

Cool

Monessen bought Majestic. Majco was a subsidiary of Majestic yrs ago.

Their direct vent pipe is 8" outer/ 5" inner. The air enters between the two and exhaust out the inner. The pipe must be listed for use with that fireplace or else is cannot be done. Same for the termination. Putting a range hood on can burn the house down. If you cannot get the listed parts, scrap the entire fireplace.
    Sorry,

Cool question, and great answer. an just to ask a follow up Hearthman so you cannot put a new part to convert or alter unless its listed for use on that system? new to the field and didn't know if all fireplace inserts are govened so. Thanks have a nice one.

Cool

Factory built fireplaces are tested and listed as a system. Some brands use stock venting systems made by other companies while some of the big dogs would "roll their own" pipe, which meant you could not mix and match. Even within one mfr. you cannot assume to be able to use every component they make on every fireplace since it takes the testing and listing. Far from it. There are many fireplaces that can only take certain terminations for instance since that is the single more important component in a direct vent system and the hardest to make. Some fireplaces take special adapters just to attach the vent to the appliance. Some make power vents for special models and applications.

I saw a custom shroud made by an HVAC tech while watching "Holmes on Homes". It was an illegal unlisted shroud over the listed termination. That mfr. did make an approved cage to protect people from getting burned by direct contact with a hot termination. I investigated a fire loss to a $7million log home where the owner modified the termination restricting the cooling and igniting the home.

On woodburners, don't install unlisted glass doors. A chimney sweep in Delaware last yr. lost a $1.25million case caused by masonry style doors on a factory built fireplace he failed to inspect, which took out 6 townhomes. A building official approved of an unlisted shroud two doors down from a job where I was replacing a chase top on a factory built fireplace. It is a masonry-style termination that covers the top of the entire chase and looks great. Too bad it is a fire & carbon monoxide hazard and illegal.

Play by the rules and use only components approved by the mfr. They are listed in the back of the listed instructions. Sometimes additional components are developed and approved but the ones in the instructions that came with the fireplace remain approved unless there is a recall.

HTH

Sorry to link to a different topic, but I noticed Hearthman knows about a "majco" unit. That's what I have and want to convert from Propane over to the Natural Gas in my house. Any idea if the conversion Part can be still be found since majco is gone?