tall flame from sandpan I assume not normal

I've seen a few of these sanpan logsets have flame go as high as the top of the fireplace sheet metal box, I assume it's not normal, and the explanation I can come up with is the sand migrated into the gas burner, blocked some parts of the burner tube to prevent gas from coming out into the sandpan, and force gas shoot out from only a few holes in the burner, thus causing the big fire.

I believe it can be resolved by just dumping out the sand, clear out the tube and put the sand back in. Is this the right procedure or if additional measures should be taken?

Thanks for your help.

Name:  fireplace_vanheating_small.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  123.8 KB

The one time that I saw that the burner tube was actually exposed in one small area with no sand around it like someone was digging in there, pushed the sand around and replaced the embers and it was fine. Of course make sure the burner isn't cracked or rotted.

the burner needs to be inspected to make sure that it hasn't burned open. Then if everything is ok the burn pan needs to be filled with sand and leveled off nicely. then place logs according to mfg.
    Also your pilot is dirty and most likely your venturi on the burner is dirty aswell. Make sure to place logs so they don't directly touch the flame

good point, guys, thanks for the help, I was too focused on the "sand in the tube" theory, didn't realize there are other possibilities.